Change font size
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Project for electronics Geeks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Would anyone in the group have the skills/knowledge to design and build something like this?

It is a sequential shift light where the LEDs light up in sequence at 200 rpm stages (6000 redline first LED lights at 5200)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

You mean like the MSD Shift light Stage 3 I just sold on eBay?

- R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:48 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
RaZ wrote:
You mean like the MSD Shift light Stage 3 I just sold on eBay?- R

To my knowledge allthe MSD shift light are just a single light that goes on at a pre-set RPM, not a sequential indiation of RPM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:27 pm 
Bone stock

It's been a few years since i've been in school but some plans for something like that could be found I'm sure. I actually built something very similar to that using an DSP as an ADC and a series of LED's while in school (whole thing fit in a 2"x2" square).

If you wanted lights that big though you might need to run seperate power to them though as a DSP doesn't have a very high current output which would add a bit more complexity (but not much). Basically you'd just use the DSP (or ADC) like a series of relays.

I'm thinking 20-40 bux would probably be all that it would cost. If you wanted to give it a try I might even have some notes laying around for it. The chip I used was an ADSP-2181 but a simple ADC would suit your needs i'm sure.

Anyway sorry for the ramble, brought back some memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Volvord wrote:
RaZ wrote:
You mean like the MSD Shift light Stage 3 I just sold on eBay?- R

To my knowledge allthe MSD shift light are just a single light that goes on at a pre-set RPM, not a sequential indiation of RPM

My bad, Autometer made it:

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessorie ... px?vid=208

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:35 pm 

Tuna wrote:
It's been a few years since i've been in school but some plans for something like that could be found I'm sure. I actually built something very similar to that using an DSP as an ADC and a series of LED's while in school (whole thing fit in a 2"x2" square).

If you wanted lights that big though you might need to run seperate power to them though as a DSP doesn't have a very high current output which would add a bit more complexity (but not much). Basically you'd just use the DSP (or ADC) like a series of relays.

I'm thinking 20-40 bux would probably be all that it would cost. If you wanted to give it a try I might even have some notes laying around for it. The chip I used was an ADSP-2181 but a simple ADC would suit your needs i'm sure.

Anyway sorry for the ramble, brought back some memories.

Thanks Tuna

now that is electronics geek talk ... that went right over my head, but that is OK, I don't need to know how to build it or how it work, just that it does work :D

The LEDs don't need to be large but I would like the very bright ones, and different colors. If you are interested in trying this project send me a PM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:59 am 
I can fix the world

my brother could do it. It would be off your electronic tach signal right? How would you control the lights? would you want it switchable easily or set it once and never again until you hook it up to a computer again type of set-up.
Let me know
Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 am 

Andy, as long as there is some adjustment, once it is set it does not have to be changed, it is just ensuring that the initial calibration is correct. As for control, I would assume that tach signal would be used.

I can make the LED housing, so it is just the electronics

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:46 pm 
Bone stock

I did a bit of looking around and found that it would depend what the signal is.

You have a crazy engine swap in there if I remember correctly. Is it an electronic signal to the tach? Or is it mechanical? If it's mechanical then you have to take the signal off the coil so then you're dealing with a frequency vs. just a voltage. Doing the frequency conversion is a fair bit more tricky but probably still doable.

That would make a difference how easy it is. Could you let me know? Then I can continue looking. Also, If you know what the range would be (if it's electronic) would help too but I'm sure we could figure that out with a bit of testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:58 pm 

I am running a MSD distributor, MSD6AL ignition box, and I had to add a MSD Tach adapter so the factory tach worked. I am not sure what signal they are getting but here are some links that may help.

http://www.msdignition.com/dist_17.htm
http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_6_6420.htm

Last edited by Volvord on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]