It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 84 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:30 am 
Site Admin

Edicius wrote:
get a gel battery and you dont have to worry about spillage :wink:
the cutoff though....i dunno, make up some story about how you had to install the system in your mothers car and your waiting on the new one to arrive.

its not spillage they worry about... infact im not sure what the hell it is they worry about... but yea, if your battery is relocated, you have to have a main disconnect ... which.. well, to me is kind of retarded... seeing as most cars I know will run with the battery disconnected... (alternators, anyone?)

dont get it...

but yea... i gotta find out if you _HAVE_ to have a quick disconnect for just secret street, as I mysefl want to have battery in the back of the corona.

- Rasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:17 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Tha VZA wrote:
why not?

under the bumper through the trunk floor?

you know what i mean, hidden

ciao

Jeez, Vik - you think I wouldn't have thought about that if it were allowed? It's not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:25 pm 

unless you were joking

i am pretty sure even with Gel batteries they need to be secure and in a box...sparking issues is the reason

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:42 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
RaZ wrote:
... i gotta find out if you _HAVE_ to have a quick disconnect for just secret street, as I mysefl want to have battery in the back of the corona.

- Rasmus

Race City "Secret Street rules":

All cars with a relocated battery must have a master cut-off switch. See the 2006 IHRA Rulebook (General Regulation, page 120).

IHRA: Master Disconnect Switch: Whenever a battery is relocated to the trunk, the vehicle must be equipped with an external disconnect switch. This switch must be clearly labeled and immediately disconnect the positive side of the battery. To determine if the switch operates properly a tech inspector will turn off the switch with the engine running. If this action does not immediately shut down the engine then the switch is wired improperly and the vehicle shall fail the inspection. Drivers should ensure the alternator charge wire is routed to the battery side of the switch. This isolates the alternator from the rest of the electrical system. Drivers should check with the switch manufacturer to ensure it is properly installed.

In all cases the master disconnect switch, including an OEM style ignition switch, must also shut off the electric fuel pump(s) regardless of battery location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:02 pm 

Yeah, and this is never going to happen. Wire the alternator all the way back to the trunk, as well as the main battery wire? I don't think so.

I guess Secret Street is out for me, unless they come to their senses.

I will be putting a gel battery in there when I get around to it, and I'll fasten it down with something a little stronger than stock, but I won't be doing the cutoff, so if they want to turf me for that, I guess I get to keep my $25.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:11 pm 

or fabricate a fake battery for the engine compartment...and not open your trunk

think of that?

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:47 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Tha VZA wrote:
or fabricate a fake battery for the engine compartment...and not open your trunk

ciao

Now that is a good idea :idea: :roll:

Cut the bottom out of a battery, remove innards, hmmmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:46 pm 

haha no i never said that

fabricate a fake battery...two bricks wrapping in sheet metal painted and decal'd up to look like a lil racing battery

[-o<

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:32 am 

Tha VZA wrote:

think of that?

ciao

They look in the trunk for spare tires and other loosities that they make you remove.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:36 am 

they do...sometimes...last few times i have been i jsut say there's nothing in there

:twisted:

wtf are u up so early for? me i never went to bed

ftw!

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:35 am 

Well every time I've gone they've checked everything except for the dual throttle springs. Battery hold down, hub caps, inside the trunk, in the back seat, checked the brake pedal firmness, and even made me start the car without my foot on the clutch to see if there was a clutch pedal interlock. Of course I've never had one, and they say that's okay, but they reccommend it in case "one of your buddies tries to move your car and you left it in gear".

I've heard that sometimes they'll let you get away with some things 'cause they get lazy checking, but I've also heard people get bounced for having a perfectly stock, brand new car, that doesn't meet their "safety" standards. If a plastic battery tray is supplied from the factory, and the battery is mounted and held down as it was from the factory, in the factory location, it should be good enough for the track, no?

Anyway, I'll try - once - and if I get bounced I won't go back 'cause I'm not going to try and make it IHRA legal just so I can hit the track once or twice a year.

And it was 5:30 when I posted that - I get up at 6:00 normally, but I was thinking about work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:34 am 

i didn't know they checked all of that for you, but then again when you open your hood, it's not what they expect to see

same as with Ian's car when they gave him the 10th degree last year

also about the stock car brand new never heard of that scenario failing before, that's just stupid

think about work less :wink:

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:58 am 

I think the more modifications you have the harder they look. I know some of the cars ahead of me last year they went through quickly, when it came to my turn they went throught it completely. In fact I had to add the second throttle return spring and got warned on my fuel line location, even though that loctaion is used on the stock Volvo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:57 am 

And there's another example - the rules clearly state that a fuel pressure regulator isn't to be mounted to the firewall, which yours was, but they let you run anyway. Was it 'cause you'd done so much nice work and they figured you'd do it right once you were told, or was it 'cause they realize it's stupid? Or, do they only have those rules so that they can bounce you if you're a jerk or they see something they don't like that's not covered in the rules?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:22 pm 

No Idea???
The fellow behind me they would not even let run because they figured with his engine combo he needed a cage. I think they just interpret the rules to meet their needs and power trip

I am not sure if there is actually a regulation in the IHRA rules regarding fuel regulator location. The rule that was cited for me was that NO fuel line can be located adjacent to the bellhousing, mine runs from the firewall to the intake which technically is adjacent to the bellhousing, so no argument. I will change it eventually :roll:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 6   [ 84 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next