Change font size
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:09 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 20   [ 289 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Smurf, AKA my new winter beater
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

volvoshredder wrote:
Here's one with a six speed!!!! Oooooooo, and its the colour combo I want. And is that green interior too? I think I'm in love. If only it were $8,500 like the other one.....
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/allroa ... _5612663_/

Ok, that is pretty sweet...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 am 

Reminds me of my parents old car with all the green. The guy won't answer any specifics about maintenance though, which is sketching me out. It was a U.S. car too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:33 am 

I'm 99% sure the all road wasn't available with a manual in north America. I tried to find one for a customer back in the luxauto days. I smell transmission swap, or grey market.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:25 pm 
First volvo in outer space

swedishmeatball wrote:
Oh four five six!

Oh my word. :shock:

:lol:
Ugly Duck wrote:
volvoshredder wrote:
Here's one with a six speed!!!! Oooooooo, and its the colour combo I want. And is that green interior too? I think I'm in love. If only it were $8,500 like the other one.....
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/allroa ... _5612663_/

Ok, that is pretty sweet...

+1!!!!
swedishmeatball wrote:
I'm 99% sure the all road wasn't available with a manual in north America. I tried to find one for a customer back in the luxauto days. I smell transmission swap, or grey market.

I thought they were available, but sounds like you have first hand experience, would be an awesome car with a stick if it's original. With the cost of mtce. on older Audis' you sure would want proof of previous mtce. for sure.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:43 pm 

Here's an 04 V70R with a 6 speed and only 117K for $15K. The color combo would probably put off alot of people but I like it, not nearly as wild as the Seafoam Green over Atacama.

http://cranbrook.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdI ... ail_alerts

You should buy this so I can stop trying to talk myself in to buying it... It was listed for $20K awhile back, guess he didn't have much action at that price so he just re-listed at the lower price. Too bad it's in BC.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:00 pm 

Yeah, its the first stick Allroad I've ever seen around here, although some of the reading I've done seems to indicate they were available in North America. I agree though Jim....the maintenance records need to be up to date on a car like that. I asked the guy very directly the first time what had been done for maintenance, and he responded with a very vague "the car runs great" etc etc. So I sent him another message with even more direct questions, and he hasn't yet responded. Sketchy.

Now......as for that V70R.....
I was looking at that car a while back at Kijiji, and made note then of how offensive the colour combo was. I've never seen a red car with the Atacama. I freaking love how bright it is! I seriously wanted it back then, but it was out of my price range. And then I went looking for it again the other night, but didn't find it. It must have just got reposted then? DAAAAAAAMN I want that car. Looks like its well taken care of, although the replaced parts in the front sketch me out, not knowing if its factory paint or not. I still think I'd like the Seafoam or the electric blue better, but this is sweet. I just can't believe someone spec'ed the car that way. And its only in Cranbrook, which isn't bad I guess. Just need the OOP.

Maybe I should buy this.....hmmmmmmm.....
So it was 20k before? I was trying to remember how much it was...I just knew I couldn't afford it. So what's holding you back Jim?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm 

Oh man. Maybe I should do this. The mileage is pretty low for that price from what I've seen....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:20 am 

Hey, Jim. Do you remember what I said about Scope Creep?

:lol:

If I didn't know better, I'd think Greg found a cigarette box full of money behind those kitchen walls. All I got was a dozen ancient construction screws (before they'd even invented Phillips head screws, let alone Robertson).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 am 

Check if the shocks have been replaced. 100k is (optimistically) about all you can expect out of them apparently, and they ain't cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:57 am 

:lol: :lol:
Matt, didn't you see that ancient penny I found in my wall during renos? It ended up being worth about 15k! :lol:

Truth be told, my budget is really much much less than the price of the R. I really only want to spend 5 or 6k, but up to 10 is possible for something that is really good or that I really want. Laura has basically told me to offer this guy 11k and say that my bitchy wife won't let me spend any more. :lol:

She's been pretty cool with the car thing so far. She didn't even flinch when I told her I had put in a bid on a G-wagen, and actually got pretty excited about it. I wasn't planning on buying a car this year. We were hoping to wait until the VW was paid off next year, and then buy me something good then, but I'm getting impatient, and who knows when the Smurf will die.

Athal...thanks for the heads up on the shocks. If I email the dude I'll check into that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 am 

No problem. I have a friend in Victoria with an '06R and she had to replace all four shocks recently. I think she has less than 100k on the car. The dealer was going to charger her around $3000 :shock: I shopped around and found the generic monroe part number (monroe makes the shocks for volvo, shocking) at about half the cost of the dealer parts. They ended up giving her the Volvo shocks for the price of the Monroes (and still made money I'm guessing), saving over a grand, and a bottle of scotch for me!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:28 am 

I "think" he had it listed for $20,999 so let's say $21 which was way too high. I agree the current price is pretty much bang on, especially considering the lower mileage and the fact any other car of that vintage and price was a US import and higher miles. Other than the color combo he should get some action on it now.

Good point by Athal on the shocks, I never thought of that either and I imagine they are pricey for that 4C suspension. I could see dropping well over $1K easy to have that done if you consider Bils for a 2/7/9 are over $500 just for the struts/shocks. As far as offering $11K... well all he can do is say no. :lol:

ETA: While I was typing this Athal was posting about the shock(ing) prices of R replacements. I was going to say $2K but thought it would sound stupid... guess not.

As far as color choices I would pick the Sonic Blue first by a mile, although when it comes to R shopping it can take a loooong time to get a good car and in the color's you want. This one is pretty weird for colors, but it's an R wagon not a Corolla so whatever. My favorite V70R is still a 98 Saffron, but you won't find a stick unless someone did a swap. :( It's also probably a FWD car by now as well. :lol:

If I was working and money wasn't as big a deal I would buy this car, or already own one. The reality of owning one of these cars is that they take a lot of care and feeding, especially if driven as they were intended. Beyond the shocks as Athal mentioned the rest of the suspension is like any other Volvo, they eat bushings for breakfast. Throw in the angle drive and the fact he had to have the clutch slave done already and my left brain is running screaming out the door. My right brain continues to drool in spite of all the logic... :lol: Bottomline, for me at least, is these cars are fine if you can write the checks without flinching no matter the amount or how often.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm 

Scope creep enough for ya'?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TDI-VOLK ... 4166b33c80

:mrgreen:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 am 

Mmm, yep. That's pretty creepy!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm 

Nope! That's not scope creep at all. :lol: I've actually long wanted one of those, and would still consider one if I found one for a good price. That engine is purely epic. I'd drive around all day just hooking up to random trees just to try to pull them out of the ground. OH, and I'd have to buy some sleds to hook up to the back too!

Jim: yep, I hear you on the costs with owning an R. I can only imagine. He already lists the angle gear sleeve, so it sounds like he knew it was coming. I've emailed him but haven't heard back from him yet, sadly. I too loved the saffron P1R colour, although I think for sure I'd have the blue one now. Love that colour. In the end, I don't really drive very much, so I wouldn't be putting that many miles on a car, so I'd like to think it wouldn't be too bad for costs. Fingers crossed.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 20   [ 289 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next