Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: More Sweetgrass Info
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:20 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Given my latest tire/wheel follies I was forced to return to Sweetgrass MT to pick up my latest set of wheels and tires (I post pics when they are on the car - big secret for now). So this morning I ventured out to the boarder again. No trouble, took a total of 20 minutes to pay, load, sign and get back to Canada. Take a small car, the Yankee guys always make jokes about me fitting wheels and tires into the Beetle. It makes them feel smart (that's 3 for 3 on the "where you going to put tires in that thing?" comment)

So, the reason for this thread...there was NO duty on my Chinese wheels! I had to pay the GST on the goods, that's it. I checked where the tires were made (Yoko's this time) on tire rack. Fake order a set and when you proceed to the checkout they will include the duties etc if they are foreign made.

These tires didn't show anything (S-Drives) and when I picked them up - they were made in the USA. I didn't buy from Tire Rack as they don't like to ship to Sweetgrass. Discount tires came through again. While the prices at Discount appear to be higher than TR - shipping is included, so they are either the same or close.

No charge for the mount-balance-valve stems (they use sexy chrome ones!). That will save you $60-80.

I figured I'd have to pay some duty on the wheels - not a penny. So if you're thinking about buying a set of wheels and tires, don't worry about the duty. One more thing, the Alberta tire tax ($4 tire) hasn't been charged to me a single time so far - I'm not going to mention it to the boarder guys.

Post subject: NEW Rules to the Sweetgrass Game
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:23 pm 

Hey Guys,

More tires came home with me today from Sweetgrass MT. My previous instructions for those that want to take advantage of the cheaper tire prices was to send your shipments from Discount Tire Direct to the UPS Warehouse.

When I got down to Sweetgrass this morning I discovered that the UPS store is no longer accepting personal shipments (UPS must have found out whatt they were doing). They sent my tires to a local border storage buisness.

They are called:

At the Border Storage
118 Bank St
Sweetgrass MT 59484

It is run my Bobby and Amie Lindskog 406-335-4040 or 406-450-8526.
They are also on the net at attheborderstorage.com.
$6 CND per package delivered.

So pretty much the same deal as before.

Craig

Post subject: Re: More Sweetgrass Info
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 am 
First volvo in outer space

Just got back from Sweet Grass, MT yesterday and thought I should update this thread with some new info. I was using At The Border Storage for package receiving in the past but was told of another place by my tire guy in Lethbridge.

I used Derringer Meat Inspection who are much cheaper than ATBS with the added bonus of being open 7 days a week. I picked up a fair sized box and a pair of tires which cost $3, this would have been $10 at ATBS. Not a huge savings but the 7 day access is really nice. Here are the details if you're interested:

Hours:
Tue - Sun: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Monday: 12:00 Noon - 4:00PM

Address Instructions:
Your Name
c/o Derringer Meat Inspection
438 Griffith Avenue
Sweet Grass, Montana

Contact Numbers:
Bus: 406-335-2342
Fax: 406-335-2344

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am 

Nice!!! Car parts stored at a meat place? Done! Thanks Jim.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:24 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Was down in SweetGrass today and it appears that Deringer Meat Inspection is out of the package receiving business. They gave me a business card for At The Border Storage as we already know, and a flyer for Mars Gas & Grocery https://www.montanaborderstorage.com/home.html who appear to be priced the same as ATBS but with slightly longer hours. Too bad as Deringer was cheaper and open 7 days a week, oh well not the end of the world.

FWIW I also noticed one more store in SG called Montana Shipping Outlet http://www.montanashipping.com/index.php From memory they are right beside ATBS.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:07 am 

Thanks Jim

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]