Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Remote Car Starter - '09 C70
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:41 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Welcome to the board. unfortunately the majority of the cars you will find on this board are late 80's or early 90's. so the majority of us wont be any help, although there are a few people here i believe that work at dealerships that might be able to provide some insight. i can understand though that the ignition of a C70 would be pretty complicated so im not sure any after market installer would be able to install an after market system.

good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:20 pm 
I can fix the world

I would not trust an aftermarket company to install a remote starter on anything new-ish. Even today I had a guy who's car wouldn't start and it turned out his aftermarket system was installed wrong...go figure. Also it will be incredibly difficult to install one on yours, easier on an 09 but still difficult due to the immobilizer and everything, personally I haven't seen one put on a P1 car and just doing a quick search it doesn't seem like something that is offered to them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:41 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Doug J wrote:
Welcome to the board. unfortunately the majority of the cars you will find on this board are late 80's or early 90's. so the majority of us wont be any help, although there are a few people here i believe that work at dealerships that might be able to provide some insight. i can understand though that the ignition of a C70 would be pretty complicated so im not sure any after market installer would be able to install an after market system.

good luck.

Dude, quite downing the cars on this board or I'm going to pull your shirt over your head and give you a little of the Western League :lol: . Yup, we are not Volvospeed, but there are C70's on the board and people that know what they are talking about. You believe there are a few people that work at dealerships... :roll:.

To the OP, welcome aboard. There are knowledgeable techs and owners on the board. Oh, and we always play nice. I'm just giving Doug a hard time (he's a good guy really). The C70 is most likely NOT the most complicated install for a remote car starter. I'm sure the dealership is concerned with liability issues more likely than not. There has to be someone that can do the job.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:28 pm 

122_Canuck wrote:

I'm going to pull your shirt over your head and give you a little of the Western League :lol: .

Not sure Doug would get the reference but I did... :lol: Butch Deadmarsh ring a bell? Carl Mokosak?

And to the OP...welcome to the board. We have a few WWD Volvo owners here. We also have some who sit on the fence and own both WWD and RWD Volvos. Then there are a few of us who refuse to step out of the 60s. The 960? That's my wife's car...

And on the remote starter? I suspect with all the electronics built into the ignition system on the new cars, a remote starter is going to be a challenge, like Andy has already mentioned. But what do I know? I'm one of the old farts here...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:22 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

yyc2yeg wrote:
I've just spoken to both Volvo in Edmonton and Volvo in Calgary and neither recommend getting a remote car starter. The excuse in Edmonton was that the C70 has too complicated of an ignition system to mess with. The excuse in Calgary is that running the car while not attended is bad for the environment. Have you seen our environment? It is covered in ice and snow - it can't be good for the person to sit in a cold car for 10 minutes while it warms up.

Anyways, I'm not looking to start an argument over if global warming is good or not for us Albertans... I am looking to see if anyone has installed a remote car starter on a C70 or Volvo with a similar ignition system and if they can recommend a good system and a good installer...

Roland

After removing more than we installed i'd strongly recommend against this.
But if you want buy a cobra and get ready for 750.00-1000.00

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:01 am 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

I'm at volvo winnipeg.
I've seen 2 attempts at installing remote starts into P1 cars. Both at very respected installers. Both were complete fuck ups. Knocked out the can network on both. One ended up getting an scu (start control unit). The other one got something else, but I can't remember what it was. Both times the installer covered the bills because warranty sure won't. I almost want to say the second one took out the CEM. Honestly can't remember.

So I'd be the third dealership to tell you that no you shouldn't try. Sorry

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

You know, with a volvo-key and a small servo you could build a small robot that turns the key for you when you desire, you could program it to run wirelessly with a simple 2.4ghz setup or even an old school AM transceiver :)

this entirely bypasses all the problems with the wiring and makes it a physical problem, those are easier to solve.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:13 pm 

Try it old skool and get off your backside and start the car. I'm not a fan of letting a car idle, it warms up faster and is easier on an engine if you DRIVE it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:32 pm 
First volvo in outer space

122_Canuck wrote:
Try it old skool and get off your backside and start the car. I'm not a fan of letting a car idle, it warms up faster and is easier on an engine if you DRIVE it.

QFT.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:13 pm 

122_Canuck wrote:

Took the words out of my mouth. Idling a cold engine is a no-no in my books, and every Volvo manual I own. I wouldn't let any hack in an electronics store mess with my car...especially one that new. Oh, and doesn't a C70 have heated seats? Life's rough. Nevermind the planet eh?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 pm 
I can fix the world

RaZ wrote:
You know, with a volvo-key and a small servo you could build a small robot that turns the key for you when you desire, you could program it to run wirelessly with a simple 2.4ghz setup or even an old school AM transceiver :)

this entirely bypasses all the problems with the wiring and makes it a physical problem, those are easier to solve.

The only problem with that is that someone could look in your window and go hey the ignition key is in there...free car! haha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:46 pm 

Hey now, the guy said he didn't want to start a discussion about saving the planet, etc. He just wanted to know if he could install one, and who would do it.

I agree with those who say you shouldn't idle the motor, you should just get in and drive it (gently!). I idle it for as long as it takes to scrape the windows & get buckled up, and that's it.

However, my truck does have a remote starter, and if I'm shuttling my wife or kid around and it's cold outside, I'll make use of it.

There are always reasons...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:02 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

I have a remote starter... its called my sister,
its cold outside do you want a ride to school?
YES!
k go start my car and scrape the windows! LOL
:shock:

the system works pretty good i'd say and no electrical issues :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:06 am 
Site Admin

Anyone care to tell me why idling is so bad a way to heat up the engine?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:23 am 

Ouch!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next