Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: A car I found for sale...opinions??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars ... aryalberta

just looking for your (everyone in the groups) general opinions/knowledge of the Mark2 Jetta's

Post subject: Re: A car I found for sale...opinions??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am 

for an unknown milage base model car of that vintage, i would expect to pay about half that privately, like what i got that '89 240 for. don't know much about the car, although I think they're pretty reliable except for some electrics. My ex-brother in law had a 16v gtx (1991?), now that was a fun, quick car.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm 

Some time in the later '80s they had a transmission problem. I think in '88 or maybe '89 production was moved to Mexico from Pennsylvania, which improved quality control but might have also coincided with some teething problems.

For $800 (or $400), you can't expect much. If it's just a beater / rally fodder, and if you don't mind pulling the plate after ditching the car, go for it.

Personally, I'd offer Craig $800 for his 242 and drive that. He should be pretty bored with it right now...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:41 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:

Personally, I'd offer Craig $800 for his 242 and drive that. He should be pretty bored with it right now...

$800...I only paid $750 for the car. Oh, some assembly required.

I've had an A2 Jetta (mine was a diesel). Dead reliable, this is a slim bumper model, the late 1990 model got the larger and more attractive larger bumpers. The thing to look out for in the 89 to 91 model years is if the transaxle has been replaced. They took to using rivets to attach the ring gear instead of bolts. The rivets have a bad habbit of coming off at speed and making big holes in the transmission case as they are ejected. I know this as I had it happen. Cost me $2K to fix at the time (very long story).

Anyway, they leak at the antenae and this leads right to the fuse panel for a bunch of electrical problems. If there is no sign of water, your fine. The rest is pretty much as easy as they come. Oh, and I still swear that my Jetta was one of the best cars for forestry roads I've had. As long as the pot holes are reasonable, that car wasn't stopped by much and I didn't need a tow in an entire field season the last year I had it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 pm 
I can fix the world

I had a 91 diesel for a bit, slow as balls, awesome on gas and had funky wiring issues that lead to the demise of two alternators...plus the funky smell inside it was unbearable at times but thats nothing to do with the actual car itself. It was a fun car to abuse for a couple months though but I was definitely happy to see it go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:07 am 

thanks!

I am looking for a beater car, cheap, something that I can run around town in the winter/spring/fall months for not much money, maybe winter autox if i am in town during one of those

just saw it and wondered

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:41 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Late model 240s are better cars. I had a 90 jetta that I always wished was a GTI, so I sold and made some money.

It had 60K original on it and was pretty perfect and owned by an old lady who just sold it cheap because she wanted a newer/nicer car and it was a bunch of dough to do a clutch and update the trans. . I bought it because it needed a clutch, but was a solid car.

If I could find a mint unmolested 90-92 GTI I'd want one, but most are modified, beat to hell by kids, or people want 4K for an unmolested well cared for stock car, at which point you can buy a much more reliable, newer, better car...like a toyota truck or late model 240 that never breaks or something. Still, the last of the mk2 cars are what I consider the "least bad" VWs, though I have a very low opinion of them. Some passats aren't *too* bad I guess. They are all so old by now like 240s that things have kinda leveled out...most of them are beat, the ones that are nice people hang onto a while, and the ones that are nice for sale are expensive enough to buy another car that is better...they are a "people's car" that is built like that with some cult following, for which the market follows accordingly.

I'm sure you can find one that is nice once in a while for a deal, but I've tried and tried, and 60K mile garaged jettas that need clutches or one big ticket repair item that makes someone just buy a new/newer car aren't exactly abundant, and this is Portland where those kinds of cars are common.

As far as DDing goes though, 240s are tractor tech, but they are way more solid and as a fairly tall guy I much prefer them. Much nicer on the highway and to live with, though much more stodgy/granny looking than sexy. 240s got pretty decent after 1990. A lot of the small parts and problems got a lot better and more figured out. Never did figure out a few things like heater fans and tailgate hinges though, and probably lots of stuff fundamentally...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:30 am 

Thanks James...input taken

I did find a stock, pretty rust free, nice condition 83 rabbit GTI, for cheap, if all works out after getting back from Florida next monday, I may have that set up

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]