Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Lower Control Arm Bolt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:50 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Its Art wrote:
Hi, its me again. After a second attempt with a hydraulic press, my control-arm bolt remains married to the control-arm, and I'm thinking I need another cross-member. If I even slightly bend that cross-member where the bolt goes through, I mis-align the control-arm, and I'm hooped anyways, right?

(can I get one of those bolt-on ones at Canadian Tire? Hahahahah)

Crap.

Depressed sometimes-creative genius engineer.

I'm thinking that the way to get the bolt out is to cut off the tabs on the outside of the cross member (the ones that have the tube going through them) then it should come out. The cross member is hollow, so you should be able to knock it out at that point and re-fabricate the ends. I know it sounds sort of dramatic, but I'd try it and it isn't rocket science to get it back in and squared up. It will save you some trouble locating a good used unit.

My only other thought is to put it in a hydraulic press, put some force on it and leave it there for a while (over night).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi Craig,

Yeah, that's dramatic alright - what-about keeping it all straight??

And yeah, I thought about leaving it in the press overnight - hard to do when borrowing equipment. I have another idea too: Drill small holes in the sleeve, and start dripping penetrating oil in there. I'm going to drill the holes today.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Its Art wrote:
Hi Craig,

Yeah, that's dramatic alright - what-about keeping it all straight??

And yeah, I thought about leaving it in the press overnight - hard to do when borrowing equipment. I have another idea too: Drill small holes in the sleeve, and start dripping penetrating oil in there. I'm going to drill the holes today.

Jim

Penetrating oil is fine, but a torch is better. Have a look at how it is made, pretty simple stuff really. I'd be very tempted (heck, I'd have done it already) to just cut the bent metal part out (they routinely break anyway) then cut the sleeve out on the other side and drive the entire mess out. Get some seamless tube to replace the sleeve and locate it with a new bolt and the A-arm. tack it up (take measurements prior to hacking). It will work.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3