Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Hi I'm new, planning Volvo project
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:18 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Hello Johnny and welcome to the club

Ambitious project =D> what is the project you are just finishing up?
It would also be good to let us know what your mechanical / autobody skills are and what is your budget?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:03 am 

Welcome Johnny,

That sounds sort of like a good idea...but it's going to require a ton of work to get that shoe horned into that tight engine bay. Probably moving the firewall back and re doing the inner fenders at the least. I would also stiffen up the main tub as these cars were not designed for that kind of power. There's a guy on Turbobricks doing something like the swap your talking about. Finding a good rust free shell is pretty hard. Not trying to rain on your parade, just wanting to get off on the wrong foot :lol: .

Craig

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:16 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi - Here's my two bits on getting a good starter: Go south, young-man, go south. I put almost 20K into body and paint on my car (which had minimal rust on the skin - new fenders, doors good, etc...), only to see a perfect rust-free stripped shell sitting in my friend's driveway in Sacramento California. He wanted to have it towed to the dump, and all I could think of was: "could there be anything more ironic?" There are various US-based websites, Brickboard is the only one I can remember (oh, IPD). Maybe the Volvo Club of America has a website now. I used to be a member when I lived in the US in the 90's, and it is a bit more of a gentleman's club (like urrrrrrr this website) in that people are there for the love of it, and not trying to make a buck. I'll bet you can get a good shell for $2,000, and either tow it yourself, or have it shipped, and I say you will not be sorry. Start poking-around any Amazon you find north of the border (floors, frame, inner-fenders, underbody, bottom of the doors, trunk.... You gonna leave all that rust in a car which you are about to put a lot of time and $$ into?

I have to go. Some may disagree, and that is Ok; you have my two-cents.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Jazzy Johnny, welcome to CVC :)

Nifty project ;)

See you Saturday!

- R

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:04 am 

Houston's EX car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:43 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

I've got an '87 740 with over $7000 invested :lol: great starting point for a project. *wink wink*

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 pm 

Vicar wrote:
I will probably cut the firewall and tunnel, seam weld the chassis and add some gusseting. everything else will be changed. All new interior, fabric roof, rear bench, recaro or AAR seats. Custom fab aluminum dash, with a digital IQ3 racepak dash. so, very clean. and a decent stereo I will add in a custom bezel for the console.

LS pwered, custom driveshaft, aftermarket brakes etc. only curious about suspension, are there any good coilover setups for the Amazon? I will probably use vette hubs and obviously a vette rear diff.

so, pretty much nothing stock on the car.

There is no coil over set-ups available for the 122. You're going to have to have a good look at the 122 before making some of the mechanical decisions. The track is very narrow, so a vette rear will be very short and mounting it going to be fun. There are issues with modifying the firewall, but you should be able to figure those out. IMHO if you're doing that much work to the car, who cares where the core comes from - a little rust isn't going to hold you back if you are doing this properly as you'll be hacking most of the bottom off the car to start with.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]