Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help please, Bertone part needed from German student
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 am 
Bone stock

Hi,
first posting and immediately a 'request', what a good start...!
Sorry for that, I'm a German Volvo enthusiastic driving a Volvo 960 with LPG and restoring (i.e. finishing the restoration) a 81 Bertone 262. The scale of rustproblems was exactly at the border of what is to be supported/survived financially with own work, the weather in Germany is quite as favourable for rust as you have it in Canada, I think.
Now, what's my problem?
The paintjob has been finished, the man did a marvelous job, but... ... he lost one part of a Bertone-specific trim beneath the crown, it was fixed with a scotch tape not to loose it, he cleans up the shop quite accurately and so the old scotch was thrown away (with the trim).
As I just finished my first own book "Mechanic torture for dummies" I now have the time to search for trim parts for Bertones.

Shortly:
There's a Bertone from 80 at kijiji Calgary to be sold for 350 Dollars still equipped with the majority of the trim parts, I already contacted the seller but he doesn't trust me and will not send anything to me.
I don't know whether there'd be a possibility that someone could help me getting this trim part (or more) sent to Germany? I'd offer every help in getting parts or anything desired from Europe and would pay for the part and work included (not a million, I'm student)...
The solution which leads to getting the trim part is to be invented, I don't know whether there's a parts dealer/wrecking yard (for cars that are to be sold in parts) in Calgary, I can also buy some more of the parts and try to sell them in Germany, I'm open to any solution!

To restore the Bertone itself would be a challenge for the ultimative masochist (at least in what concerns financial and work aspects), from what I see from the advert pictures, it's gonna take some bigger sheets of iron to get this done and the leather parts are not better. So not to talk this Bertone 'into a bad condition' for my own purpose, I think that it'd be very painful to get out of it a good car. In Germany there are some TV programs imported from the States which treat Restoration, Tuning and so on, one of them is 'Speed Shop', a shop who restores classic, run-down 60-or 70 years cars to muscle cars and sells them on auctions. He appears to have success with his business but sometimes you can see the tension in the face of the boss when the rust gets more and more, I'd say that this Bertone would cause the tension benchmark for him for the next time...

So, I'd please beg you to write me whether you see any possibility for this, as mentioned, I'd do everything possible to get parts which you are searching for in Germany/Europe....!http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=1#

Thank you in advance for your efforts..!
Greets from Germany
Stefan.

P.S.: the nickname is the translation of my German nick so don't wonder about the sense...

Post subject: Re: Help please, Bertone part needed from German student
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hi Convultions...or whatever, I'd keep a look out on eBay and see what turns up. I know a few of the guys on this forum have trim parts collected for various cars, but finding a Bertone part will be difficult.

Craig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 am 
Bone stock

Hi Canuck,
in fact the Volvo Bertone which would be the right one is announced in kijiji.com of Calgary under 'classic cars' for 350 dollars, my problem is that the seller doesn't want to send anything to oversea...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Is he trying to sell the entire car, or is he parting it out? He may not want to talk to you about selling just a part because he wants to sell the whole thing. I'd go talk to this guy on Kijiji on your behalf, but I'm not interested in buying a complete car (even if it's with your money) to send you just a few parts. I've got enough partial cars laying around my house.

If you wanted another Bertone (a 780) I'd be able to help you out right now, though!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:47 pm 
First volvo in outer space

What Ugly Duck said above, are you sure he will strip off the pieces you need and sell them separately? Buying the whole car for a few bits wouldn't be economical and definitely not feasible. I would have to agree that the car in question is probably beyond saving, whether or not the seller is interested in parting it out remains to be seen.

If I were you I would post in the "wanted" section of Turbobricks.com and see if someone could find you the piece(s) you need. There are allot more buyers and sellers of parts there that would increase your chances of finding what you need at a reasonable cost.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:36 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi - I have a friend who has at least one Bertone (maybe a little older) in his yard. He may sell a part off of it even. Can you get a picture of the part, or a picture of where it belongs?

I would definitely pursue those other suggestions too.

James

Post subject: Thank you for the answers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:40 am 
Bone stock

Hi,
thank you one more time,
in reply to Ugly Duc and woodenshoes:
I'm relatively sure that the seller wouldn't be delighted if someone would ask him to send one single piece and letting the rest rusting away in his yard, it's some christian youth organization which appears to (one of the things they do) help young people to get along with re-starting their professional life by working on cars they afterwards sell (I'm not 100% sure if the Bertone is part of this business, if the car just stalls and doesn't start it shouldn't be impossible to get this done, so perhaps it comes from another source).
The car is to be sold for restoration or as parts car, but I'd read the ad in a way that he'd sell the car as parts car and wouldn't sell parts of it.

I thought that there should be the possibility that a wrecking yard who sells used car parts via Internet is interested in a 'deal' where he pays 300-350 Dollars for the whole car, gets around a third for some 1-3 little parts immediately and 100% sure with at least 10 parts specific to the 80-81 Bertone still to sell (I'd immediately take the hood for example but there the freight costs would be just one more time a bit higher).

To Canadian tire bolt ons:
Thank you for the post, I'll send you a picture showing the trim piece and the location, for other readers:
It's the trim right beneath the crown at the 'back column' of the roof, right/passenger side,
Problem is that the specific trim only fits for 80 and 81 models before (77-79) the majority of trim parts was different....

Thanks for the moment, wife is urging for lunch...
Stefan.

Post subject: German Engineering or Vorsprung durch Technik
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:49 am 
Bone stock

Hi, just remarked that it's possible to attach pictures here in the forum...
Stefan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 pm 

Hi,

Ok, I'll see what I can do - possibly this week.

Keep looking elsewhere.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:09 am 
Bone stock

Hi,
thank you, I'll also wor on it and will light some dozens candles of hope...
Stefan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:41 pm 

Stefan, I'm glad you finally found your way onto the forum!

I received your Facebook message but the pass week has been pretty hectic for me, I just forgot to get back to you. Hopefully someone on here can able to help you out with that trim. :)

If you can source the part otherwise, but need assistance with shipping, I'd be happy to help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:04 am 
Bone stock

Hi Darren,
thank you for your help, I just tried out every way to get in contact with Calgary's Volvo community...
I'll wait the answer of "It's art" and according to the results I'll perhaps try one more time to convince the Seller of the entire Volvo 262 to make some bargain with me...
Thanks for the support!
Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm 

Hi - I spoke to my friend. He says he has a '79 Bertone, so that may mean he doesn't have your part, sorry. I will follow-through a little more though, just in case, and see if he has any trim for that rear passenger-side post. If there is trim, then it will be the right one, correct? [-o< I don't have his email address, but if it looks promising I'll get him to contact you via this site.

That's the best I can do.

James

Post subject: Thank you 'It's Art' - I'm still praising...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm 
Bone stock

Hi,
thank you for the answer, if there's a possibility I'd be very glad, and yes, for the right/passenger side for models of 80 and 81 (In what concerns the model years, I'm not quite sure if the model years are exactly the same in the States, but the difference between the prior trim model and the latter one is that the first is (mostly? I think always) black and slimmer (not as thick as the latter one), the latter one is of 'standard chrome type for trim parts' and thicker.
So, candles everywhere, I cannot wait the wonders...
Greetings from Germany
Stefan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm 

Hi, guess-what? I'll be picking up your part soon. You live in Germany, right? In return, I'd like you to send me a good German kitchen-knife, Ok? (my girlfriend is German, and she forgot when she was there at Christmas).

James

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next