Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Spray Bombs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi -

I've been spray-bombing a lot of Volvo parts lately, and last week I sprayed a set of spare rims which I just sandblasted. After the obligatory coats of metal-ready and primer (no, not epoxy, but these are spare rims only), I went out and bought a can of silver spray-paint. I bought a can of "Rustoleum" nickle-finish. IMHO, this paint is worth the $10 a can; it sprays in a nice even fan, and must be lower pressure, as there was much much less over-spray, and better control. Also, due to a "patented" development, you can tilt the can and not lose your paint. Finally, the coverage was excellent; I could have done with one coat, but after doing all four (oops, five) rims (only the fronts) there was still lots of paint left, so I did a quick second coat. Still more paint in the can!

Also, it has a different smell. I don't know what solvent they use, but the paint comes out flowing very nicely, but only for about 30 secinds, then it stops. Good colour too.

I'm sorry I never tried this stuff earlier, but there will be more parts to paint, and I'm glad to pass-on the experience.

The whole underside of my car is sandblasted now, and hopefully I'll be spraying it all tomorrow; it took me awhile to figure-out how not to poison myself by breathing the zinc-chromate etching primer (baaaad, really bad). Since I don't have a fresh-air mask, and filters don't do it, I'm modifying the mask to breath through a reaaalllly long flexible hose while I lie underneath and spray the primer, then the undercoating. Not sure how well I'll be able to see when I get to spraying the undrdcoating. I think I'll carry a thinner soaked rag in my back pocked to I can wipe off the sheild.....

James

Post subject: Re: Spray Bombs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Its Art wrote:
Hi -
Since I don't have a fresh-air mask, and filters don't do it, I'm modifying the mask to breath through a reaaalllly long flexible hose while I lie underneath and spray the primer, then the undercoating. Not sure how well I'll be able to see when I get to spraying the undrdcoating. I think I'll carry a thinner soaked rag in my back pocked to I can wipe off the sheild.....

James

Here's a few tips...in order for a fresh air system to work, it has to be POSITIVE pressure - not just you breathing through a straw. You have to force air out of where you breath or the nasty stuff still gets in. This is a safety issue and should be done very carefully. Get a vacuum cleaner motor and use the reverse flow (not suction obviously), then get an AC speed control and a filter in place of the bag. This is essentially what my fresh air system is - pretty simple.

When spraying undercoating, the only way it would get on you is if you turned the gun around and pointed it at your face...don't do that. It comes out in a thick mess - not much overspray at all.

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm 

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that. My plans tend to evolve organically, and yes, I think I can jerry-rig something better now. I just found the looong flex under a tree at my friend's cabin yesterday, so until then I was at a loss. You can't rent such things (I tried). I'll try hooking-up to my wet-dry vac; I think I have a reducer that can connect the two hoses, and reduce the effective flow by 'engineering' a few holes in the line or something. I don't think I have a way to reduce the line voltage, but maybe something will come to mind. I'm glad I didn't just give-in to the urge to cover it last week; the guy at the paint shop was pretty casual about the fumes, and I was so worried about the bare metal sitting there that I almost did it, but even just the isocyantes are enough to fry a 'few' brain cells. When my friend Ray paints stuff for me, we always sit and drink beer in the shop (outside the paint-booth) between coats, and that is enough for me.

The sand-blasting went pretty-well - less than three hours compressor time, and with a plastic tent, kept most of the dust inside. Used 11-ish bags of sand. Since then, I have masked-off the rest of the car and I went around underneath with a tube of caulking, filling seams. This may not have been necessary. Seams that still had rust in them I sprayed with One-Step. Maybe I should have used a paint-brush and POR-15, but it is too late now. Hmmmmm, I should sand any exposed One-Step, or the etch-primer might-not stick?

In January there was supposed to be a new law mandating only water-based automotive paints, but there are still problems. This is coming however, which will be great for the likes of me - if not for the body-shops. I believe they need longer drying-times - no, ovens (?). Hmmmm maybe not so great....

All the best,

James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:04 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Just free thinking - a standard light dimmer would work for an AC motor speed control. Don't piss around with ISO's - you may be found passed out on the floor of your garage (not me, but I know someone that this happened to) - some are sensitive, some are not - don't find out if you are.

Waterborne paints need more air flow, but the guys that I know that have converted have no complaints.

You said caulk for the seams...I'm hoping you really meant seam sealer (and my vote is always for the urethane sealers rather than the caulk type.

Pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:06 pm 

Hi - I'm about to go out and paint now. I had to wait for the pl400 to dry on the piece that connects my fresh air to my mask. I seem to have a good system - I just melted holes in the plastic hose until I got the right air flow at the mask. I have lots of hose, and no dimmer.

Yes, I meant seam-sealer. I maybe should have waited until I sprayed the primer - first mistake of the decade :^o

I used the white stuff that comes in a tube - the body shop recommended it.

Shop should be warm now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:58 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Its Art wrote:
Hi Craig,

I just found the looong flex under a tree at my friend's cabin yesterday, so until then I was at a loss.
James

Be aware that RV's use a flex hose to drain their ...ummm... waste water. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 am 

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahah hahah ahah ha ha hah hah hah ha.

=D> =D>

I just wrote a long post describing how it all went, then pushed some button and it was all lost. Oh-well. No pics either - I've put my camera somewhere.... It won't be ready for the BP night, but sometime this spring/summer I'll be driving it.

James

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]