Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: rough idle after in tank pump problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:38 pm 
Bone stock

so you guys might remember me, i had that in tank fuel pump problem, got power to the pump which wasnt running at all, now it runs and all is significantly quieter, but i get a weird lopping idle (up and down once every 2 seconds) about twenty seconds after start up (cold start is initially really good for twenty secs, then turns bad) and once its warmed up for a few mins, it runs and idles just like normal and then it starts to miss at idle and idle really rough. looked in the bentley and that other manual (not chilton's, cant remember the name) and for loping idle they say. either a vac leak, which kinda makes sense except that it goes good to bad to good and eventually all the way back to bad (if you followed that), or insufficient fuel pressure to the injectors. any ideas, i've never really tested for anything like fuel pressure and i've sprayed suspect areas with carb cleaner while running and there is no change (thats how you test for vac leak right?). any direction would be highly highly appreciated.

1986 245, injected, recently replaced dist cap and rotor and probably alot of other things i cant remember.

thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: rough idle after in tank pump problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:40 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hmm, could be lots of things. With the fuel system adjustments, I would venture that you'll need to check the base idle mixture, and with that the O2 sensor. Easiest to check O2 sensor voltage and see what it's doing. If it's not fluctuating 0.2-0.8V, then either you have a sensor problem or the mixture is off (or both)

Post subject: Re: rough idle after in tank pump problems
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm 
Bone stock

went to pnp, got a fuel pressure regulator and old 02 sensor. hard to tell which one fixed it since it all worked relatively well when warm and i installed when the engine was warm. but i have a sneaking suspicion it was the regulator. thanks guys! you rock, once again!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]