Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: How to drill out a lock??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 am 
First volvo in outer space

Long story short I need to pull a hatch at PnP when they open tomorrow. Knowing that they seldom have keys and that the car in question, Suzuki Swift/Metro etc.) doesn't have an inside release I am anticipating having to drill out the lock core. I have done this once on my old truck lid and ended up with the whole core coming out, it worked out OK as I could then use the T handle to open the lid.

Being that the hatch lock needs a key to twist the latch open I'm worried that if the whole core comes out I won't be able to turn the cylinder. My thought is to drill the smallest hole necessary, jam a screwdriver in and twist. Any thoughts or other suggestions?? Thanks.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the inside trim panel can't be removed when the hatch is closed so opening it from the inside isn't an option.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post subject: Re: How to drill out a lock??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Never done it before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Big F'ing flat screw driver and a bit of force has been working for thugs for years. You'll wreck the hatch lid - but it's a Swift.

:twisted: This requires about 2 Dupuis of force...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 am 

122_Canuck wrote:
Big F'ing flat screw driver and a bit of force has been working for thugs for years. You'll wreck the hatch lid - but it's a Swift.

:twisted: This requires about 2 Dupuis of force...

:lol: Thanks Craig, never tried car jacking before but that seemed like what I thought the thug's method of choice would be.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

You can make a lock pick kit with spring metal from a wind up toy. It's thin and very hard and best if 3/16 - 1/4 wide. You have to straighten it out buy winding it backwards. Cut two lengths about 2-3 in long and then find a good small file and file a V-notch at the end of one so it gives you a pointed end but point is on the edge end not on the end like a spear. You put both pieces in the lock, the plain unfiled piece all the way in but the one with the point you use to push up the tumblers one at a time while applying just enough twist on the straight piece as if unlocking with a key, this twisting motion keeps the tumblers up as they are individually lifted. I've opened a few cars and houses for people with this method but I have to warn you that some locks are tougher than others, more precision and have had a few I couldn't pick.
|V---------------------------| That's the best I can do of a drawing of the tumbler pick tool that I can on the keyboard. If you want to try it and get good at it, you
|_________________________|

will gain more than a few grateful friends. Just don't do it with police standing around. They get real suspicious.

My dad used to have the police come pick him up once in a while to unlock cars that had their keys locked inside but they knew him as a mechanic at Art Bull Volvos no less. He always enjoyed the look on the customers face when they came back after work to apologize for not leaving their keys at the garage only to find their car already repaired and waiting for them.

Unvolvo is 1968 Austin Mini Estate (daughter claimed it, hasn't started it yet)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:01 pm 

Thanks Keith, going to file that for future reference, although it looks like a fair bit of practice is required to pull it off consistently.

When I went to pull the hatch the one car actually had a key in the lock, but it didn't turn. #-o Turns out they do have a little catch on the inside of the latch so getting it open was a snap, lifting it off and carrying it by myself in 80 km/h winds, not so much...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]