Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: B21FT ISSUE
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 pm 
Hello Guy

I currently have an 84 244 glt with a b21ft with 274,xxx km.
Here is a list of maintence/performance items that i have done on this car

injector seals
intake manifold gastet
25mm swaybars front and rear ipd
ipd lowering springs
bilstein hd shocks/struts
lower chassis brace ipd
strut to strut brace ipd
79 gt strut to firewall brace
new strut mounts
new brakes all around
ipd stainless brake lines front and rear
water pump
alternator
starter
poly bushings front and rear ipd
intank fuel pump
fuel filter
timing belt and tensoner
plugs/wires
autometer volt/boost/oil pressure/narrow band afr gauge
ipd plastic dash pad
sparco racing seats cutomer wrapped as well as rear seat
R-SPORT steering wheel
shaved body
customer white paint
17x8 and 17x9 staggered BBS LM rims
carving boost short shifter
valve cover gasket
new flame trap box vented(with new oring) to catch can
new ipd engine wiring harness
79 flat nose conversion with single round headlights
86+ small bumpers
monza blowoff valve
added stock 85 240 intercooler
manuel boost controller

Sorry for the long list but i just wanted to show how much work and time i have put in this car.The current issue im having with the car is when it is cold car runs good but with a little bit of a rough idle, however when it warms up good and i accelarate hard and in full boost it sounds like she is misfiring,almost sounds as if the intank pump is dieing or the fuel pump relay is shot.
These two items have been replaced.
I have been reading the bently book and i think it could be the cpr.
I have not checked to see what the fuel pressure is at or what kind of spray pattern is coming from the injectors.

Please help

Post subject: Re: B21FT ISSUE
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:40 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Sounds like it could be spark blow-out. That is pretty violent though. As in slam your chin on the steering wheel. Do you have a different coil to try? Do you have a spare ignition box to swap in? You never did come and pick up one of mine...

Make sure the grounds on the in-tank pump are good. Ive seen new ones act like old ones for this reason...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm 

How many boost can psi handle?
What is the spark timing?
What is the dwell set at?
How is the oil pressure?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:10 pm 
I am currently running a msd blaster coil right now on stock wires.
The car was running really nice at 8-9 psi.It was however running a little rich.
It has good oil pressure at around 80-90 psi.
Not sure what the spark timing is.
Don't have a dwell meter.
Sorry pylon but I had a buddy that had a spare ignition box.
Well I think I'm going to try the stock coil and different ignition box
I will definity check my other grounds and see if that helps.
Thanks guys I will report back

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:15 pm 
All right guys so I changed out the coil and put in my spare ignition box
I also cleaned up the grounds on the intank fuel pump I also cleaned some grounds
On the different electrical doo hickeys behind the battery beside the coil.
I figured that they could use a cleaning as well, so I go for a test drive and I turn my lights on noticed that my interior lights passenger side tale light is not working :evil: :shock:
I do however have signal and brake light working so that cut my test drive short
Man this sucks

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 am 
Well i have taken the car for a test drive to work yesterday and after driving for about 25min under hard accelaration and decent traffic the symptoms appeared again althought not as frequent.As well my interior lights dont work or my passenger tail light.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:01 pm 
Is this forum dead!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 pm 

The forum is not dead - just confused. Are you asking about a running problem or basic maintenance issues. Fix your tail light and interior lights...those are unrelated to your running problems.

Check the fuel spray pattern...have a look at the main pump. Check the condition of the plug wires...do a basic stage zero. Your at higher boost than stock and you're rich...that sounds backwards to me.

The other day...did this happen when the engine was cold? Did it get worse as you drove and the engine came up to temp? The more information you give the more likely you're to get a response.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:56 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

I don't know the B21ft or fuel system on the '84 but a failed O2 sensor could cause similar symptoms.

Assuming the '84 works with an O2 sensor in a conventional manner, the engine controller runs open loop (ignoring the O2 sensor) until warmed up. Once warmed up, the engine controller runs in closed loop mode and starts reading the O2 sensor. A failed O2 sensor gives a lean reading which the engine controller tries to correct by enriching the mixture, possibly leading to misfiring. Your plugs will be black in this case.

Maybe someone with experience with this engine can comment on the above?

RT

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:58 pm 

You're on the money, Richard, but the same thing also happens in reverse: A misfire dumps unreacted air (oxygen) into the exhaust, the O2 sensor interprets this as lean, richens up the mix. I think that this is more likely, as the stock ignition (when healthy) can light up some pretty rich mixtures. When it starts to misfire does the AFR gauge read lean or rich? Does the AFR gauge bounce around under normal driving like it should, from slightly rich to slightly lean once every second or two?

There are so many things that could be the problem here. Fuel pressure, ignition & wires, wire harness, valve clearances, K-jet system, head gasket, boost leak (check your BOV too), basic tune... These cars require a few special tools to keep them in tip-top shape, such as the dwell meter (to set the frequency valve) as well as some pressure gauges, hoses, and adapters to test fuel pressure. The wiring harnesses on the early-mid '80s Volvos are usually cracked or disintegrated at some point too, causing wierd running issues.

Also, once you start nearing the 300,000 km range the B21FT is just about finished so you've got the added inevitability of that to worry about. Not to be a debbie downer, but there have been a couple of local cars that still ran strong at that age but had such tremendous blowby they'd poison the oil in a matter of days.

Without digging into it myself, which I don't have time for, I'm just guessing. Have you thought about bringing it to some place like Bert & Jacks and giving them money for an hour of diagnosis?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 pm 

I get grumpy when people ask for help with running issues, driving hard, but can't or won't check the most basic things like spark or mixture.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:58 pm 

swedishmeatball wrote:
I get grumpy when people ask for help with running issues, driving hard, but can't or won't check the most basic things like spark or mixture.

Dude, you get grumpy when someone's windshield squirters aren't adjusted properly...just sayin.

If the OP is still here - are you understanding what we're saying? It's all here - have at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am 

Athal's just a pretty teddy bear - he's never been grumpy a day that I've known him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:21 pm 
swedishmeatball wrote:

give me a break bud and save the drama for your mama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 pm 

porvolvo wrote:
swedishmeatball wrote:

give me a break bud and save the drama for your mama

After complaining how dead this place is, this is what you come with? Any wonder?

Relax Stan. This isn't TurboBricks. We don't act like that here. Did you actually read any of the suggestions? These guys are trying to help you. You've got a group of 4 or 5 of the most knowledgeable guys in the Volvo world on this board- some of them do not hang out on TurboBricks. My suggestion is to read and listen to what they are saying and not insult people. My guess is this thread is going to get very quiet and you'll be figuring it all out on your own.

You want to listen to a bunch of kids over on TurboBricks or the most concentrated knowledge base anywhere? Your choice. Just my 2 cents...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next