Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Tire Recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:42 pm 
I can take anything apart.

It's finally time to replace my summer tires on the 940T.

I like to run high-performance all-seasons on the car but I only use them in the spring, summer and fall. I run Hakkas in the winter. I like to have all seasons for the non-winter season so they won't be totally useless and unsafe if I have them on and we get a late snow in spring or an early one in the fall which is apt to happen here in Calgary.

I've zeroed in on the tire that I'm most interested in, mainly based on the survey ratings on TireRack.com. I figure with that much customer feedback the ratings have to be fairly accurate.

The tire I'm looking at is the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I am running 16" x 6.5" rims, 40 mm offset with 1" adaptors. If I recall correctly, the stock tire size on the 940 is a 195/65/15. Is that correct? Assuming that's correct, I will be looking at 205/55/16s which will put me very close to the original tire size.

Where I'm kind of in a quandary is whether or not to get the H series or V series of that tire. The V series cost about $10 - $12 more per tire. Are they worth the difference given the car I'm driving?

Keep in mind, my driving style is "spirited" with aggressive cornering. My car has been converted to a manual tranny, has ipd springs, sway bars, bilstein gas shox, performance exhaust and an IPD turbo cam.

What differences am I likely to notice in the two tire series? Ride? Handling? Durability? More stability at higher speeds? Or just more money gone from my wallet?

Who would spend the extra $ and get the Vs and who would save the money and get the Hs? Why?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

<|> You WILL be Assimilated
<|> Notwithstanding that, have a nice day. :)
<|>
<|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|>

Post subject: Re: Tire Recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:49 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I've never owned V rated tires but I've owned W, Y and Z, and both of those get AWFULLY slippery when temperatures approach freezing. They need heat in the pavement and heat in the carcass to work. None of the H rated tires I've had experienced this.

As far as speed ratings go, an H is good for a sustained 135, IIRC, so plenty more than you'll need. The V could be a bit stickier when hot but probably has lower treadwear numbers.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]