Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Tire Recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:42 pm 
I can take anything apart.

It's finally time to replace my summer tires on the 940T.

I like to run high-performance all-seasons on the car but I only use them in the spring, summer and fall. I run Hakkas in the winter. I like to have all seasons for the non-winter season so they won't be totally useless and unsafe if I have them on and we get a late snow in spring or an early one in the fall which is apt to happen here in Calgary.

I've zeroed in on the tire that I'm most interested in, mainly based on the survey ratings on TireRack.com. I figure with that much customer feedback the ratings have to be fairly accurate.

The tire I'm looking at is the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I am running 16" x 6.5" rims, 40 mm offset with 1" adaptors. If I recall correctly, the stock tire size on the 940 is a 195/65/15. Is that correct? Assuming that's correct, I will be looking at 205/55/16s which will put me very close to the original tire size.

Where I'm kind of in a quandary is whether or not to get the H series or V series of that tire. The V series cost about $10 - $12 more per tire. Are they worth the difference given the car I'm driving?

Keep in mind, my driving style is "spirited" with aggressive cornering. My car has been converted to a manual tranny, has ipd springs, sway bars, bilstein gas shox, performance exhaust and an IPD turbo cam.

What differences am I likely to notice in the two tire series? Ride? Handling? Durability? More stability at higher speeds? Or just more money gone from my wallet?

Who would spend the extra $ and get the Vs and who would save the money and get the Hs? Why?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

<|> You WILL be Assimilated
<|> Notwithstanding that, have a nice day. :)
<|>
<|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|>

Post subject: Re: Tire Recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 pm 
First volvo in outer space

My 90' 745T came stock with 205/55-16 so pretty sure yours would have as well. I think only base cars came with 15's, not sure of the size but pretty sure Volvo has never used 195/65 as a stock size. Your door sticker will say for sure.

I currently run General G-Max AS-03 in the stock size and they are W rated, I like them as they are a high performance all season so they cover the shoulder seasons before/after the winters are on/off. Our cars were sold with H rated tires originally, the Generals were priced right and were the successor to the Exclaim model which is what i was looking for, the W rating didn't really mean much to me.

I'm not qualified to answer your question on speed rating's other than it's more about sustained top speed and heat buildup as the rating increases. An H rated tire is rated to 130 MPH, so unless you ship the car to Germany do you need more? Also, you could buy an H rated tire with a AA traction rating vs a W rated tire with only an A rating. The H should grip better but is rated for a lower top speed, in the end it's maybe the better tire for most NA drivers?

If you're more interested in cornering around town go to a 225/50-16 in an H rating, virtually the same size as stock and almost another inch on the ground. If I had it to do again that's the route I would go.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 pm 
I can take anything apart.

Thanks for the response.

I'm aware of the speed rating differences between H and V and don't really care about that. Both are overkill for a Volvo 940 of any description.

I'm just wondering about the other aspects of the tire like handling, ride & durability. The V tire is rated for a higher sustained speed, but why? Is it just stiffer sidewalls? Different rubber compound? Both? Given the car I've got and my driving style, which is likely to last longer and would one perform noticeably better in one category or the other? Or would I likely not be able to tell much of a difference making the V rated an unneeded extravagance?

The tires I have now are H rated and they worked just fine. I don't recall ever being confronted with being able to buy the exact same tire in 2 different speed ratings before so that's why this time I'm a bit unsure as to what to do. Is getting the V rated tire really worth the extra $50 for the set given I can't drive the thing fast enough to even justify the H rated tire based on speed rating alone?

I will check and see if the tire is available in the 225/50/16. I'm not sure that it is. I know it's not available in 215/50/16.

<|> You WILL be Assimilated
<|> Notwithstanding that, have a nice day. :)
<|>
<|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|><|>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:38 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

If you are looking for an extreme performance tire in 225 50 16....Dunlop star specs. I have these on a set of rims,
they are a very good tire.Surprisingly, they are excellent in the rain,considering the tread...I have had mine very fast in
the wet,with no drama,and stick very well in the dry.they are rated at 200 treadwear...but if you only use them in summer,they will last a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hankook K106 - work for me.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]