Change font size
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would you build a b23 or keep watching for a b230?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:37 pm 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

I know they're available. I've almost bought some from alibaba a couple of times.

Curious though, he always claimed his are 160mm long, is that what you got? And can you order his "7/16" bolts also? I haven't found them on alibaba or the like. I really want to avoid buyin anything from him. I have one of his screwed up fly wheels but I got it for nothing essentially.

When do you think you'll be up and running Craig?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:00 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

JordanRules wrote:
I know they're available. I've almost bought some from alibaba a couple of times.

Curious though, he always claimed his are 160mm long, is that what you got? And can you order his "7/16" bolts also? I haven't found them on alibaba or the like. I really want to avoid buyin anything from him. I have one of his screwed up fly wheels but I got it for nothing essentially.

There were sets of the 160 mm ones with the 7/16" bolts up there in the winter (there was a thread on Tbrix about it with full-bore JVAB bitching). I've got a set of the 160 mm ones in my B20 - these were bought before I knew what a nut he tends to be (a real shame as well as he's knowledgable...maybe he wasn't held as a child?).

I should have the B230 done this week (paint today) and then it's going in on August long weekend. Should have the car running by September.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:14 pm 

After I posted I checked out aliexpress and found the 160mm rods.

He really is a nut. I can't stand the way he portrays himself on the forums, which leads me to never wanting to buy anything from him. Otherwise I might have bought his rods and pistons. Who is his piston maker? I wonder if they would sell me his piston design directly. Otherwise I'll just go RSI.

Craig what do you recommend for a rocker panel replacment? I see rock auto has a couple right sides for 30 dollars. Which is the one I need anyways.

Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:07 am 

His pistons are made by CP and are nothing special - the ones sold by RSI have the inverse of the combustion chamber milled in the top instead of just a bowl. A better idea? Maybe (should be). They'll sell you whatever you want, and the price is about the same as getting them from JVAB.

I've never replaced a rocker on a 240 - mine were (are) solid. I've seen some of these style of panels and they're the wrong gauge, very light (22 ga). I'm sure there's a better solution. Last time I couldn't find one, I just hammer formed one for Dale's 122. It's a bit of work, but that's the way the parts from Sweden are for 1800's and 122's. They are often made in some guy's shed. The rocker isn't complicated. You could also try my buddy at Wolf Steel Parts (http://www.alfaparts.net/p1800.html) - his name is Robin Wilkinson (robin at alfaparts dot net), great guy and he will do custom work. One other option is to find a local metal shop that can do the bends and have them bash one out for you. It really isn't that hard to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 am 

JordanRules wrote:

Craig what do you recommend for a rocker panel replacment? I see rock auto has a couple right sides for 30 dollars. Which is the one I need anyways.

Jordan

I've got a set of 240 rocker panels in my garage. I don't remember who I got them from but someone was disposing of them...maybe Matt?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:31 pm 

Care to let them go Dale?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 pm 

Was probably me, and if so they're from a 140. Whether or not that matters when you're doing both, I'm not sure, but when doing one?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:26 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

122_Canuck wrote:
JordanRules wrote:

There were sets of the 160 mm ones with the 7/16" bolts up there in the winter (there was a thread on Tbrix about it with full-bore JVAB bitching). I've got a set of the 160 mm ones in my B20 - these were bought before I knew what a nut he tends to be (a real shame as well as he's knowledgable...maybe he wasn't held as a child?).

I should have the B230 done this week (paint today) and then it's going in on August long weekend. Should have the car running by September.

7/16" bolts? Another brainwave by that retard. Nascar uses 3/8", and they were turning 10K+ between various rule changes. Not to mention the inherent problems with his chosen rod length not allowing proper 16V pistons to be made.

To go back to the subject, what would one single reason for building a b230 be? I cannot think of one.
To bring the topic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:54 pm 

There are some advantages to the later engine design. Sure, it's got a cast crank, but it's also got an extra set of counter weights on that crank and the later ones (so thrust on 5) are proven reliable. The provision for oiling the pistons is also nice. Otherwise, with the exception of things like where the oil filter boss is located, they are the same. We've established that he's changing rods, so that point is rendered moot. Parts are slightly more available for the B230, but I don't think there is any real fundamental difference between a late b230 and a B23.

What am I missing? I don't buy the bearing size argument either as the B18, 20, 21, 23 have massively oversized mains and rod bearings relative to power outputs. The slightly smaller "low friction" in the B230 are still huge and reliably hold quite a lot of power without issue. Most problems I've seen relate to poor tunes or extreme abuse failure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:20 pm 

I still have that B23E sitting on my garage floor...

Oh and I haven't ordered from these guys, but will be getting some rear arches in a few years when I chop the car up again.

http://www.klokkerholmusa.com/servlet/the-Volvo/Categories

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:33 pm 

I was thinking of taking this b230 block to the machine shop and get it checked out before I condem it. If I can get away with a first overbore I'll be happy. I don't want it if I have to go to a second overbore. And I'll have the block sonic tested. I thought I had a second b230 block and a couple b23 blocks at my dads, but apparently he got rd of them.

Thanks for that link. I heard about them in another tbricks thread.

What do you want for the b23 block?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 am 

Cool link, Craig.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:35 pm 

I can't sell the 405 head cheap as it's got larger valves and a lot of port work...but the bottom end, how about make me an offer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 pm 

Is it just a stock old bottom end?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 am 

Yes - complete. I don't have time to pull it apart right now as I'm mid swap, but when I did the head the bores were still OK. I had lower compression on 3 (125 psi) the others were all 175.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next