Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Thinking of buying an XC70
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:27 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Hey Guys,

I haven't been on here in a while...

But I am thinking of picking up an extra vehicle...

I have narrowed it down to:
- 2001 and up Volvo XC70 (first choice)
- 2000 - 2002 Subaru Forester (2nd choice)
- 2002 and up Honda CR-V (not really keen on, but will do...)

As you can tell I am looking for something with all wheel drive, and non-domestic.

I have a family member coming to say with us for a long time, and I will need to provide them with reliable form of transportation. They will be carrying precious cargo (my kids) from time to time. Hence the need for a well built reliable, relatively trouble free transportation...

Its been awhile, but I would like to get back into a Volvo... I remember something about the earlier AWD systems, 97, 98 and 99, being fairly finicky, and I was guessing/ hoping that by the time the revised 2001 platform came out that these AWD issues had been sorted

I was hoping to get some feedback, as to what to avoid, if there is a particular year(s), or somethings to watch out for as I look at these cars...

Also any other insight on the other contenders is always welcome...

Budget of sub: $6,000 (but will spend more if worth it).

Thanks,

Ahmad

Post subject: Re: Thinking of buying an XC70
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:05 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

First gen Highlander. Job done.

LOL, sorry... Not fair. Seriously though, good reliability, good AWD system. My wife's is a hoot in the snow.

I believe you want to get into the 2006 range for a bulletproof Volvo AWD. Great car for the money, superduper safe, but lotsa money for a car you're getting for someone else to drive innit? The Subaru's okay but I don't know too many that get past 200,000 km with all their rod bearings intact. The CR-V? Not for me.

Not sure how I can help, sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:22 pm 

I'll second the first gen Highlander. If reliable is what you're after, that's the way to go. I'm with Matt and can't stand CR-V's. I've driven a Forester or two in my day, and while they drive fine, I've heard a lot of bad things, and have a friend who drops money into hers like its going out of style. I'd take a Outback over a Forester anyways, as the Forester doesn't really give you more in terms of room, and just sits higher for no reason.

As for Volvos, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 2001-2002 Volvos aren't really a whole lot better in terms of AWD compared to the earlier P80 cars. Same viscous system basically, with a whole lot of headaches for maintenance, and garbage transmissions. In terms of reliability for the P2 cars, though cheap, they are the ones to avoid. In 2003 the 1st gen Haldex was introduced, with a slightly more powerful version of the inline 5. Reliability improves a bit. 2004 is more of the same. 2005 there was a facelift, with a nicer interior. But yup, the 2006 cars introduced the 2nd gen Haldex, which pre-loads the whole system for better response. But by now, to get a decent example, you're still looking at roughly twice the money you want to spend. 2003-2004 examples with higher mileage can be had for sub 10k easily though. If you find one with good maintenance history, you'd probably be okay. But it still won't be nearly as reliable as a Highlander.

Other things to avoid in an XC are 4C suspension: its rare but for good reason, as its expensive and complete garbage. And the xenon headlights all suck until 2007, and are too expensive to replace. That said, the engines are bulletproof, interiors are very plush and durable, and they are great to drive long distances.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:31 am 
First volvo in outer space

I was going to post last night but thought I would wait to see if Greg or Rabin posted as they would do a far better job. Greg nailed it on the P2 cars, your requirement of reliable and trouble free is in doubt with these cars. We owned an 02 V70 AWD from 42 - 177K km and it was ok but not great. In that time we did all 4 wheel bearings, the trans. valve body, lower control arm bushings and enough trans. software flashes, updates etc. that would make Bill Gates blush. We sold it b/c the potential for big $$$ AWD system or transmission repairs made my sphincter pucker... It was however a great trip car, fabulous seats, pretty quiet and decent power.

Not sure how much I can add on the other choices as I struggle all the time with buying something newer to replace one of my "project" cars. My wife has a friend with a CR-V, she wasn't impressed, said it felt small and tippy? I remember Matt rec'd the Highlander this summer, it fits the newer reliable bill fine, but for me I want something that stirs my drink and has 3 pedals ie: V70R... this of course is going nowhere, lol For your needs it sounds like the Highlander might be a good fit?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:05 pm 

You can even butch it up with Jeep wheels if you like, as we did with these 16x8 ET10 Wrangler wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:14 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

I did some more reading and it seems that the 2001 & 2002 had transmission issues.

I had not considered a highlander prior to this, but will definitely check them out

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:09 pm 
I like cake

I am on my second XC70, first one an 04 and second one is currently a 2006. Very few problems with both and the only dilemma was a programming glitch with the tranny on the 2004, computer reset to the factory settings and let the adaptive learning tranny re think my driving habits. I am told to stay away from the 2000-2001 cars as they had a load of transmission problems from the way the Aisin tranny was programmed to shift (Very expensive to fix). These cars are rockets and handle very well in rough roads and snowy roads. One other consideration are the factory front coil springs ( McPherson) which tend to break due corrosion for which both cars suffered from this. I replaced them with Sen Sen speedy struts.
The Highlander is also a great vehicle but the 2.5T in the XC70 is a bullet proof engine and the car is comfortable and well appointed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:06 pm 
I like cake

I had similar thinking to the original poster in this topic -- I did buy a 2001 XC70 AWD (180,000 km) that came with a full service history and lifetime use of Castrol synthetic oil changes. I agree that the engine is pretty bullet-proof.

The original owner had quite a bit of Volvo dealer service done on it, some of it quite surprising:
-- broken steady bearing on propeller shaft (rear drive shaft) requiring new propeller shaft.
-- broken front coil
-- seized knuckle / hub & wheel bearing (rear)
-- leaking angle gear housing
-- all brake disks a couple of times

He also mentioned that he had never been able to figure out a vibration in the front wheels despite multiple wheel balancing and new alloy wheels.

I was really taken by the ride, capacity, and comfort of the beast. It also has lovely proportions to my eye. It had no rust, and was also very well kept. I decided to go all-out to refurbish it.

First bad sign was a faint high-pitched edgy sound coming from under the car when descending hills, especially steep ones like the Sunshine access road. Took it to a transmission shop in Calgary, who found the transmission to be fine but in the transfer case, the collar bearing (last one before the output angle gear) was so worn that it was BURNED and shedding metal chips. Also, the bearings in the transfer case supporting the front half-shafts were badly worn. I replaced all these bearings, plus re-manufactured half-shafts, and the noise was all fixed!

Front wheel vibration proved to be a worn power steering rack. Replaced that, and took the opportunity to do all shocks, wheel hubs / bearings, IPD up-graded F & R anti-sway bars, plus all engine mounts and subframe rubber inserts for good measure. Final result was a beautiful handling, smooth, dependable cruiser.

Final suggestions for a car of that mileage: TIMING BELT, water pump, 5 coil-overs & plugs. Also beware of the complexity of replacing the Volvo PCV system, usually needed at about that mileage.

Maybe other people wouldn't do it the way I did, but it seemed a shame to junk such a great machine just because some wear-outable parts had outlived their lifespan. Having said that, I would agree that the 2006 model has a lot of refinements not seen in my 2001, but I would shy away from the 4C suspension, since the Monroe electronically-controlled shocks are USD 370 each (mailorder), and $700 CDN (each) at the Volvo dealer!! Not including installation!

Final thought is the cost of money over time and the huge hit that depreciation causes. You can buy an awfully large box of parts for the price difference between a 2001 and a 2006 model.

Good luck in your decision.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]