Change font size
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Metal painted dash or padded cover?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:11 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I was checking out the Stanceworks thread on the Keith Ross Amazon, and I am digging the look of the painted steel dash. It might look better in black, but since mine is white, I am not sure if it would look as sharp. My car came with a plastic dash cover, and when I took it off, let's say the original dash is way past its prime with splits, stains, and paper towels packed in the rips. Since it's more of a style choice than anything, the rest of the car might have to follow suit in a stripped-down or simple style. The eventual look of my car would be clean, not back to 100% original, but slightly modified. I'm not sure if there are any legalities about not having a padded dash, but I don't think it would matter to a degree.

Does anyone have any opinions? Thanks!
David

Post subject: Re: Metal painted dash or padded cover?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:53 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I haven't seen the thread (I tend to avoid threads that involve "stance" just like I avoid threads that involve "drift") but I guess it depends on the look you're going for. If you're doing a sort of minimalist stripped out look and you carry it through the whole car with things like cross-drilled door handles, removed trim, etc., I think it would be alright... sort of like that crazy bearded Porsche guy builds. A cross between rat rod and track warrior, with polish. White paint on top of the dash is a horribly bad idea though. Doing your own alcantara or other non-reflective dash pad can't be too difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm 
Vmax 200mph w00t!

I like it alot.

I agree tho, that white would not look good...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:22 pm 

Do something original and at least cover up the back of the speedometer cluster.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I'll try to look up some solutions for a padded dash. The white would not look good. Everyone would be asking "When are you installing the dashpad?" Perhaps a nice alcantara in the seat color (light brown) would be sharp. Black is always a good fallback strategy too.

Feedback is good! Thanks guys.

David

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 am 

I googled out the car, yes it's pretty if you like the all-black copout, pretty enough even if you don't. The dash sticks out like a sore thumb. The car is so complete, the missing dash pad is a trigger for those "when/why/WTF" questions. If the dash were smoothed out and a binnacle around the gauges were made, maybe, but my cars are made to drive and I can't wrap my head around the reflections in the windshield.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:57 am 

Don't underestimate the irritation of a shiny or light colored dashboard reflecting in the windshield. I have the good fortune to drive many different cars. By far, the most irritating was one of the most stunning as well. A black Ferrari 512 BBi with a light tan interior and dash. Granted, the dash is over a foot deep, but that light color constantly reflecting in the windshield was horrible. You can see the reflection in this photo, which was taken in the evening, so low light...

If I were to drive it again, I'd take a black towel and drape it over the dash

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:54 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Good point, Dale. I didn't think about the reflection being a problem. I would think that any sunlight would get reflected back off the dash, and directly into my eyes. That Ferrari looks amazing! Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sometimes things need to be talked about to get different points of view. Dash cover FTW!
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 am 

I don't know if I shared this in the early days of my 122...I wasn't on the forum at the time. My dash was cracked in the typical 122 fashion and distorted to boot (the binnacle area usually distorts). So this is what I did, I removed the dash and bought a cheap plastic cover from eBay. The original quality replacement dash is around $400 and the cap was $100...should have sprung for the original one.

So I used some urethane foam dash repair that I got from my local autobody store. I chopped and cut the original dash and pulled off the skin with a heat gun. The damaged areas were repaired using the foam goop. I also used some expanding foam by covering the inside of the new cap in plastic wrap and filling with foam. Removing and carving up the foam to fit in to larger holes. This probably wasn't really necessary.

This was a weekend worth of time and the results were reasonable until the hard plastic crap cap cracked within the year. You could try to fabric cover it with vinyl or some other material, but do a professional job or you'll hate it every time you see your dash.

Now if you wanted something more custom, make a back to the gauge cluster. I'd create a plug using the old cluster as a template then spray foam and shape. Cover with 1/8" foam to smooth out any less than perfect areas. Then upholster with something that you can: A. Clean (so no faux suede), B. Low glare. If you painted the rest of the dash, do it in a low gloss paint and use automotive paint, not some crap from a can.

There, this is what I was really trying to say the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Those are good suggestions, thanks! I think a fabric or vinyl cover would do nicely.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]