Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1962 122s new to Calgary
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:24 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

A light ticking often described as the sound a sewing machine makes is normal. Here's my car (as it was a while ago) on the dyno...you can faintly hear the engine tick as it get's strapped down.

https://youtu.be/eimDHKyvNHs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:17 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

That's a clean looking Amazon! Congrats on the purchase, there's lots of Volvo assistance and knowledge to be found on the forum. Enjoy your new ride!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:11 pm 
Bone stock

Thanks Blackdog!

And a big thanks to Matt for everything today! I really appreciate the warm welcome. Gained some good info for sure. It's really cool to see and hear about everything you guys have going on. Very neat stuff, I think I'll enjoy it here! Plus, who am I kidding I don't think I could ever get tired of talking cars...

Didn't really get much time to poke around the car this weekend. I did establish that my starter is fine by boosting the volvo with my van. Looks like it is the battery that's gone south provided the amp light on the dash is functioning properly. I will still try to find my multimeter and check the generator output before condemning the battery. Anybody know what kind of ballpark voltages I'm looking for from a healthy generator? I'm guessing not much better than 12 at idle and maybe 14 and change at cruising rpm?

Since I did get it started, I farted around with the SU's some more. Still seemed pretty rich so I leaned out both carbs to the point where nothing happens when you push up on the test pin thingies. Most articles on SU tuning recommend a slight increase in rpm followed by a quick settle back down. The engine seemed happier, and the exhaust smelled better where I set it so I'll leave it like that for now. Matt verified that these engines run better like that or even leaner yet. Also, between the oil change and all the run time while tuning the tick is much milder. I think that this car has sat far too much the past decade and a healthy thrashing would do it a world of good. Also, the PO had it set up unbelievably rich for who knows how long so I can only guess at how much carbon and soot is likely built up on the exhaust valves. An Italian tuneup is in order. Seafoam scares me a bit but I may look into it.

Also got a second box from Olof at vintage import parts. New shift boot and a new all red tail light lens to replace the cracked one. Already have fresh taillight rubbers so that'll hopefully happen next weekend. Just need to install that stuff, the new firewall grommets, bleed the brakes and it should be good to go for the out of province! It'll be nice to be able to drive it legally! I mean drive it at all, yeah that's it...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:24 am 

Thanks for making the trip down to see me, Dustin. It was good meeting you, and good to BS for a while. Sorry I had to cut it short, though I can't quite believe I couldn't come up with the word for "tires" so maybe it was for the best for now. I guess that's what I get for trying to disengage my brain so I can focus on welding: it might not start up again for a while! LOL

Seafoam is fine, another good one is General Motors' "Top End Cleaner". That stuff works well in the combustion chambers. Hit it with a couple cans of that, it's what it's meant to do. Neither will work miracles, but they'll both remove some of the softer carbon deposits and goop. At 4000 RPM on the highway you'll be pretty effective at burning off some carbon too, pouring in a can or two of Seafoam or Top End Cleaner, or fuel injection cleaner, and driving to Edmonton and back will do some good too.

Head gaskets are cheap, though, and pulling your head to clean everything up manually is pretty easy work over the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:47 pm 
Bone stock

A couple small updates if anyone is interested...

Fitted a new tail light lens and the new shifter boot. Properly tightened the collar on the top of the transmission which was quite loose. Drained the transmission oil and refilled with redline MT90. The fluid didn't look too bad coming out though there was a good little fuzzy pile of metal particles on the magnetic plug. No chunks though. The PO had overfilled the transmission a bit, he must have filled it from the top I guess. Quieted the transmission down a bit but it'll probably still need a rebuild. It's noisiest on third gear decel and quietest in fourth.

More carb tuning. Unfortunately I think Matt is right that the SU's are going to have to go in at some point for new throttle shaft bushings. There is a bit of play in them. On the front carb I have the idle screw backed out all the way and once I get the rear carb synched to it using my highly advanced shoptoweltubeomatic carb balancing tool, the idle is a bit higher than what I think it should be.

Bad news, while under the dash to install the steering column seal, I noticed that my (new looking) clutch master cylinder is leaking out the back onto the inside of the firewall. Bye bye paint all around where the leak is. Does anybody know where I can get a spray can of Volvo "slate blue"? I suppose since it's hidden behind all that Jute crap, I can just degrease and prime it for now. Wen't ahead and ordered a clutch master cylinder rebuild kit as it was only $11. I'll try that before ordering a whole new one as the master cylinder looks basically new. Also ordered a new Brake master cylinder. It's 53 years old and having brakes is important.

Now onto the biggest problem currently. This doesn't make much sense but maybe one of you has some insight? I mentioned earlier that I suspected the battery was NFG as the car didn't want to give more than five or six cranks. I boosted it off my van the other day and it cranked quite nicely. Well, I put in the known to be good battery from a friend and hooked it up to a battery tender for a couple of days. Battery tender indicated that the battery was good and charged. Went to start it today and it's back to only five or six cranks. I hooked jumpers up to my track Miata which happened to be in the garage (off to it's new owner tomorrow woo!) and that helped but it would still only crank 5 or six times. You could hear the Miata idle down when I cranked the Volvo so the connection was good. After the five or six cranks, I'd have to wait a minute before it would crank again. I bricked the miata gas pedal up to about 2k rpm which helped a bit but you'd still only get five or six cranks! It finally did catch but the starter didn't sound very inspiring. Is my starter NFG? It seems to crank over pretty slowly in general. I just don't get why the car boosted fine the other day and today boosting barely helped? My van probably has a vastly better alternator so maybe that's an issue? It's a B18d for cryin' out loud, it's not like there's a ton of compression to overcome. Also, after taking it for a drive and bringing it back into the garage, I can turn it off and it cranks good and fires right up if I try to restart it. I was thinking that maybe something is drawing down the battery but the battery tender said it was good to go? Ghosts?

On the positive side, I took the car out for a good Italian tuneup today and the tick is pretty much gone. Sounds like I fine Scandinavian... something. Sounds good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:49 am 

Most autobody supply stores sell aerosol cans of match paint and you can get 2K Epoxy in a spray bomb as well (over bare steel, this is what you want). Check the condition of your starter and if you can, replace it with a newer gear reduction unit from a 940. They are more powerful, smaller and much lighter (you'll need proper bolts - but that's no big deal). Check for pits in the bore of your MC - anything that is not nice (you can get a hone to touch it up a little) and I just toss them. Not worth the hassle on a car with single circuit brakes. One leak and your crashed. Get the stainless lines as well - heck, I'd do the entire brake system with new lines (again stainless is nice and available from Classic Tube as a kit for an early 1800) or just new steel lines. If it's all been replaced, then don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:50 am 
Bone stock

Yep, it's the starter. I suppose 53 years of service isn't so bad...

Know a good place to get a gently used or rebuilt one?

It's actually the clutch master that's leaking. The unit itself is pretty new. I got a reseal kit so I'll start there.

I also got a new brake master cylinder even though the current one isn't leaking. Cheap insurance. Got the proper F.A.G one made in Germany. I'm sure that acronym is far more innocent in German...

As far as the brake lines go, they are mostly new or newer. None are rusty/crusty so I should be good to go there. All rubber lines are brand new.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:05 pm 
Bone stock

All righty, spring update:

Over the winter/spring

-Fitted a rebuilt reduction gear starter from a 940. Holy cranking batman!

-Fettled with carbs

-Swapped the leaky Girling clutch MC out for a Willwood unit which fits perfectly other than having to shorten the threaded rod a bit.

-Fettled with carbs

-Fitted new brake MC.

-Fettled with carbs

-Grommeted up the firewall.

-Fettled with carbs

-Installed new rad hoses, thermostat and coolant. Interestingly, the PO had installed the thermostat upside down. That would explain the odd temperature fluctuations...

-Met John in Springbank, man what a great resource there! Got a non bent valve cover, a fourth OG wheel to refinish, a dome light, a proper side mirror and some various trim bits and pieces.

-Fettled with carbs

-Spent two bloody hours rewiring the stupid dome light circuit to get it working. Stupid dome light.

-Got the choke synchronized and generally working like a choke is supposed to.

-Fettled with carbs

-Fixed the brake pedal travel issue: crank drum adjusters down hard, stomp brake pedal a few times, back adjusters off till shoes just tickling drums, boom! Immediate brake pedal.

-Carbed with fettles

-Got an out of province inspection. Passed with no issues found, woo!

-Booked in next Wednesday with National transmission. They did Johns 123gt. The PO did the rear axle bearings but missed shimming things up I think. Half shafts have some play.

-And finally... Da da duh daaaa! Picked up a peach of an M41 with a J type OD from John, plus all the conversion bits. Just need to take the 4th gear safety switch to the hardware store to match the thread pitch and make a tap to drill and tap my M40 lid (M41 is out of a P1800). The car it came out of must have had an oil leak as it's pretty crusty. The inside though looks absolutely brand new. Unbelievably clean. Either super low mileage or rebuilt. I've almost got the outside clean but ran out of time and brake cleaner... (Picture is before cleaning, the other side is twice as dirty).

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:03 am 

Damn, Dustin - your car looks FINE. Great work, I know you're going to enjoy the hell out of it this summer!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:01 pm 
Bone stock

Ugly Duck wrote:
Damn, Dustin - your car looks FINE. Great work, I know you're going to enjoy the hell out of it this summer!

Thanks Matt!

The car was a heck of a lucky find. I feel pretty fortunate to have landed it. Tons of minutiae but to have the solid body is huge. I know zip about body work. Plus with a two and four year old I only ever get an hour or two at a time to tinker.

It really needs a proper paint job though. A friend/co worker of mine who is a VW nut is a really good painter so we'll likely tackle it in the fall. The paint on his bugs and bus are like glass. My paint currently Looks decent from 30 feet or more. The finish close up would make an orange jealous.

We'll have to meet up one of these days. I just saw your build thread on your burgundy/white car. Holy moly! You've been busy no mistake! I'd like to see it in person. Though I'm disappointed to see the 70's basement bar quilted vinyl dash get torn out :lol: Wednesday's are my relatively free day if that ever lines up with your schedule.

Can't wait to fit that M41. Too bad I agreed to do the front pads/rotors/bearings on my dads xterra this weekend. Damn my generous nature!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:18 am 

That's a good looking M41 - the last one I had apart (mine) looked just like that. Barely any issues at all. Make sure you check the layshaft bearings for wear.

Otherwise, looking good.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:31 am 
Bone stock

122_Canuck wrote:
That's a good looking M41 - the last one I had apart (mine) looked just like that. Barely any issues at all. Make sure you check the layshaft bearings for wear.

Otherwise, looking good.

It's pretty clean for sure. The gears have no visible wear and the magnetic drain plug had basically nothing on it. The oil wasn't fresh but it was very clean.

Is there a way to check the layshaft bearings without taking it apart? Just check it for play?

I assume that's what's wrong with my current M40 as its noisy in 1-3 and quiet in 4th.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:45 am 

Drain the oil, clean it out with varsol and spin the shaft...see if it makes noise. I'd much rather take it apart as bearings are cheap and you're already 1/2 way there. They are not all that bad to take apart and put back together provided you leave the main shaft alone. It's not usually the gears that are the issue but the dogs on the gears, the condition of the syncros and the blocking rings.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:19 am 
First volvo in outer space

Great looking 122, love that flat blue! Good to see there will be at least one Amazon on the road this spring. :(

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:41 am 
Bone stock

122_Canuck wrote:
Drain the oil, clean it out with varsol and spin the shaft...see if it makes noise. I'd much rather take it apart as bearings are cheap and you're already 1/2 way there. They are not all that bad to take apart and put back together provided you leave the main shaft alone. It's not usually the gears that are the issue but the dogs on the gears, the condition of the syncros and the blocking rings.

Makes sense, I'll give it a spin. Planning on checking the filter screen in the OD as well before putting it in.

Thanks!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next