Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Anyone rebuild a ZF PS rack? Want to do one for me?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:52 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Soo... power steering rack- ZF, in a 1982 Volvo 245, been in the family since new. Car was parked for several years now leaks like crazy. I have what is supposed to be the right seal kit off Ebay. Between all that is happening in the world giving me more responsibility at work, and the forums sounding seriously intimidated ("be prepared to make special tools" "less than 50/50 you are going to get it together leak free first try"), and winter coming, I thought I'd sublet it. Remove and install is about my skill/patience/time level.

Background is I want to fix this rack, as I have installed the 700-series inner tie rods to match length with the extended control arms. Saves welding as some have done. You can't get long inner tie rods for the Cam TRW, and I have all new everything in this front end, incl new tie rods. Whole racks have disappeared off the market for 240's, especially the ZF's.

Thoughts? I have one place I've thought of to ask in Edmonton, and 2nd back up that's $$$, and a place in Ontario I can send it to... but I think this week I am hoping to make a decision and move ahead with something.

Post subject: Re: Anyone rebuild a ZF PS rack? Want to do one for me?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:41 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I've been inside a couple steering racks, and I'm currently unemployed and taking odd jobs. I might be able to take a swing at it. I'll be in/near Edmonton Saturday 26 if you want to talk before then.

Have you looked into just buying one?

Post subject: Re: Anyone rebuild a ZF PS rack? Want to do one for me?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:08 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

2nd question first- I cannot find any reman ZF, that I can be assured will take the extended length inner tie rods. Well any ZF rack at all.
Camgear/TRW rack definitely will not.

Yeah I can have it out Saturday if I get my butt in gear. Technically I have to put a radiator in another car in order to move the Volvo where it can be immobile for some time.

Sounds like it might work for us both. Honestly I have a whole list of projects to finish and am working way too much. It's 7:08PM and I am at my desk. I got up this morning at 5:20AM

I do still have the same hotmail (iadr). Though the one I check couple times a day is iadr1 at yeah who daught calm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]