Change font size
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: alternator...and massive rally lights???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:02 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Hey I have recently installed a 10" fan to cool my turbo, 4 massive 7" Hella rally lights - and now think I may have to upgrade my stock alternator. Could anyone sugest an easy upgrade for an 83 240 turbo?

Thanx....

ps check out this video - its the rally we are doing next month!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-e6Lhtolk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 pm 
Grime Killer!

QUOTED F/ TBRICKS:

Yes, there IS a way to get more than 70 amps to power your Brick!

You heard it right! Start with 100 amps, or if you really need more juice, you can get a whopping 140 amps. Not only that, but if you need to replace it ever, it's much cheaper than the Volvo replacement (last I checked, the going price for a 70 amp Volvo alternator, if you don't work at an auto shop, is about $180).

I would be referring to the very popular GM CS-130, which can be found in '87 to '94 GM cars and trucks (except F-bodies: Camaros and the like). I will be referencing to the '88 Chevrolet Celebrity my mom got rear-ended in and ended up salvaging. It has a 2.8L MPFI V-6, FWD, auto trans, power-everything and A/C. Stamped on the case is as follows: 1101832 100A 2113E 12V .meg and the Delco-Remy tag says: 10463187 321-479 93C.

Now that I'm done clearing all the technical stuff up, here's some information that'll help the install. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: this is all done with everything out of the engine compartment, so your mileage may vary. But I did get what I believe to be the core measurements for a perfect (at least really damn close) installation.

* Pulleys ARE interchangeable (fans are NOT)
* You will not use any of the spacers from either pulley (you can't, really)
* You will need a 3/4-inch spacer between the GM body and the GM black arm thing that is used as some sort of mount on the GM car (I really have no better way to explain this, you'll understand what I mean when you see it), I used 2 3/8-inch spacers I had sitting around (presumably from something in my stock Volvo engine compartment)
* The Volvo adjuster fits perfectly on the GM alternator. Thread size is even exact. You may want to grind a very small amount (about 1/16 inch) of metal from one side of the "L"-shaped adjuster bar for better clearance between the GM body
* You will need to grind a small portion of metal from the GM body at one of the alternator-housing bolts nearest to the adjuster mount (for clearance for the Volvo adjuster). This small amount of metal you remove will not affect the alternator at all, but it most likely will void the warranty on any NEW unit (but you can get a perfectly good junkyard unit, too)
* You will also need to grind a somewhat larger portion of metal (and rubber) from the Volvo mount (and bushing) at the upper-front rubber bushing mount (for clearance for the GM alternator fan). This you must do, or it won't turn. I don't know if this will affect life or alignment or strength of anything (namely the bushing or the metal mount the bushing goes into), but if you really want this conversion, there's no way around it (I'm sure there is, but you'll need to spend money fabricating something, whereas this is free)
* You will also need to grind a minuscule amount of metal from the Volvo mount at the upper-rear rubber bushing mount. This will aid in more belt slack when adjusting tension. This small amount will not harm anything
* The last little bit of metal you will need to grind will be from the GM body at another of the alternator-housing bolts nearest to the front mount. This, too, will aid in more belt slack when adjusting tension and will not affect the alternator at all
* Mount the two upper rubber bushings so that the larger portion (I guess you could call it the flange?) is on the outside of each mount (facing each other). If you have them any other way, the alternator won't fit, or it will move out of alignment very easily
Note that most of the grinding is NOT required if you do not want to use the Volvo adjuster and would rather use a crowbar and brute strength, but WHY??!??!? The only grinding that is absolutely necessary is the largest amount--the upper front mount and bushing for clearance for the fan.

Now for the measurements (do with them what you will, I will figure out all spacers, etc. once I get the engine put in [unless someone wants to add to this with that info.]):

* Stock GM: Body-to-front edge of pulley: 2 inches
* Stock Volvo: Body-to-front edge of pulley: 2 inches
* GM with Volvo pulley: Body-to-front edge of pulley: 1.75 inches
* Stock Volvo (mounted): Pulley front edge-to-upper power-steering mount front edge: 2.25 inches
* Stock GM (mounted on Volvo mount): Pulley front edge-to-upper power-steering mount front edge: 2.5625 inches
* AS INSTALLED (Volvo pulley on GM alternator mounted on Volvo mount): Pulley front edge-to-upper power-steering mount front edge: 2.5 inches

As you can see, there's really only about a 1/4-inch difference between the two units (as installed), which I'm almost positive will not affect anything as far as belt wear, but if you're as much of a perfectionist as I am, you'll do everything you can to get it to match up exactly, which will only consist of a few washers.

This entire project was done for my '86 744ti, I don't know if it will work as well or better for the 240 cars, but I know it will at least work, being that they have the same alternator. For all 940 owners out there, there is nothing different--the 740s and 940s are the same engine compartment. I have no clue if this even applies to the V-6. I don't even know if it uses the same alternator (although I suspect it does, which means it should work).

Now I know I mentioned a 140 amp conversion. If you're like me, you want as much headroom as possible, and this is as high as I know you can go. JCWhitney and Summit both sell an "Iceberg" alternator kit for $100 made by Quick Start. It gives you 140 amp capacity, a monstrous heat-sink, larger rear bearing, installation stuff and everything else you need to basically have a brand-new, albeit much more power-handling, alternator. If you go this route, there is NO sense whatsoever to get a brand-new one from your local auto-parts store, just grab one of the 46,273 units that are sitting around your local junkyard (believe me, there are so many, you won't have to pull one yourself). BUT! Be sure it has a black arm-thing (the thing I tried to describe earlier) on the back of the case. I know the Celebrity (at least the one I had) has this. You need this, otherwise it's not a simple bolt-on item.

As far as electrical/electronic info goes, I haven't quite worked that out yet, but if you've done the Ford voltage regulator conversion (which I hope you have if you've had your brick long enough), then it should be fairly easy to figure out a simple wiring schematic. My advice: call up or drive down to your local GM dealer and ask for the terminal designations, volts/resistance/amps of each, and get a harness/plug while you're there. You may even be able to still use the Ford regulator, if you know what you're doing (should be fairly easy if you get all the necessary info from GM). If I don't post anything about this before someone else gets everything worked out, feel free to add it into this.

This is a near-perfect bolt-on modification. Very very few modifications need to be done to get it up and running, including the electrical aspect. This should prove to be substantially more amps than practically all of us need.

Happy motoring!! 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:26 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0010

Rally looks like fun!
Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:27 pm 

Whoops....looks like Brad beat me to it by a few minutes....

Post subject: vovlo alternator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Has anyone done this switch on a 240?

Is there a simple volvo bolt on alternator that i can get from the wrecker??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 pm 
I can fix the world

Maybe a 100A one from a 7 series (if they came with it)
I've got a 100A one that I used on the B20 that i could sell, just need to fab a bracket if your up for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:32 am 

I've installed a 90 amp out of an Audi Turbo, but it's not a direct bolt-up, and I've installed a 135 amp out of a Ford Taurus, but it's REALLY not a direct bolt-up.

Problem with the 200s is that the alternator is tucked down low and doesn't have lots of room to grow. The GM alternators are quite tiny, as are many of the import ones, but small ones tend to suffer from poor cooling, which isn't that good for an alternator that close to the turbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:16 pm 
I can fix the world

If you don't have power steering though you can mount it up in that bracket...

Post subject: 740 alternator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:56 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Brad has ordered a 740 turbo alternator for us, he says its a direct bolt on, except you have to use the old pullies - and its 110. I just do not want to risk a used one - since racing is rather expensive and to not finish due to a picked part would be lame.....

h.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:09 pm 

Dude, bring that sh!t out to race city!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:26 pm 

Houston...check your PM! 8)

ciao

Post subject: PM???
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:22 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

What the hell is a pm???

Post subject: Re: PM???
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:29 pm 

Houston wrote:
What the hell is a pm???

private message...

click on the "PM's" link at the top of the page. You may be surprised at what you find... :wink:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:40 am 
Site Admin

WELCOME... TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROWWWWWW!!W!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:58 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Lets see some pictures of that damn race car of yours. It is way too hot to be kept a secret. You guys should see the venting Houston cut into the hood and the fan he mounted and, how about the new paint job!!!!!!

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERVE IT UP!!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next