Change font size
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Hakkapeliitta FTW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:41 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
God I love these tires, my Olds has the WR All Season which work great, but the 765 has the Hakkapeliitta 2 factory studded and they are fantastic :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:24 pm 

i am trying to get those from ebay (real cheap!)...the auction ended before i could get all my questions answered...no one bid on them, but now i can't get a hold of the seller!!! :evil:

on another note...the yokohama's i have on right now are pretty mean snow tires...that said though the night we had sleet etc which caused crazy ice on the road they weren't as good, but today with the snow on the ground it ate it up...

also driving manual in the winter kicks so much ass, i love it, way better than auto IMO...maybe i am wrong but i find it easier to control wtf is going on/easier to recover from a slide or spin etc. etc.

and finally, plugging my car in seems to rectify the weird idle problem, it started today first turn without any throttle help, liek it was summer basically, and stayed at 1000-1200rpm right from the get go!

yay winter!

just for kicks >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZLSfBDyhs

ciao

Last edited by Tha VZA on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:55 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

I left my hakka 4s at home. Boy was that a mistake! I bought them slightly used off a bud with a 945t that got totaled. They didn't fit his FWD, so I got a $100 set of almost new hakka 4s. I LOVE those tires, even though I only used them some on the last MT and minnesota trip. They make the sucky granny series skate through the snow pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:32 pm 

Some guy on the Calgary Sports Car Club board was selling some 135/90/15 studded rally tires. $800 for the set. Now...that's the ticket... :twisted:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 pm 
Vmax 200mph w00t!

Traction Control + Winter Tires = Da Bomb! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:49 pm 
I can fix the world

I still like my gislaved nord frost 2's, slip a bit but they are worn down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:33 pm 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

I just have cheap goodyear ultragrip "ice" and despite their name, they sucks big time on ice, but they're amazing on snow! :D

Tyler wrote:

Traction control... PFFFF! :roll:

:lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 pm 

I was drooling at some Hakka 4's at the tire shop...those things look amazing. I'm on Arctic Alpins right now. I'm not super impressed. They're useless once any amount of water is involved, but otherwise satisfactory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:06 am 

Edicius wrote:
I still like my gislaved nord frost 2's, slip a bit but they are worn down

mom and sister run those...they like them! they also drive fwd though so i can't give them too much credit...BAH-ZING :P

Pylon wrote:
Some guy on the Calgary Sports Car Club board was selling some 135/90/15 studded rally tires. $800 for the set. Now...that's the ticket... :twisted:

i would so rock those on the street!!! Dale you're sounding more like raz and i everyday...you need a winter car to race!!!

Tyler wrote:

traction control...you mean your feet right? yes? boo urns to computer aids! TC and ABS FTSHL (super huge)

volvoshredder wrote:
I was drooling at some Hakka 4's at the tire shop...those things look amazing.

agreed, i also drooled, quite a bit

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:20 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

volvoshredder wrote:
I was drooling at some Hakka 4's at the tire shop...those things look amazing.

I didn't know that they were that hard to get. I knew they were expensive new, but given that everyone here buys snows for their cars and uses them once or twice or to go to the mountain and then sells the car, a set of hakka 4 isn't that hard to get for 150-300 bones.
If I spy another set, I could probably pick up a set for someone to actually I dunno...use. They don't come up a ton, but if you look around here snagging a set isn't super hard either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:12 am 

it's not hard to get them here, just expensive i was quoted ~$800 CDN for a set of 175/65/14 hakka 4's, installed and all

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:24 am 

Yeah, I was quoted over a G for Hakka-4s in 205/55x16 for the wagon. I bought Kumho Izen WIS instead. Great tires, but without studs they won't have the ice traction that the Hakka-4s do, and currently that's what's needed. Nothing gets great traction on this polished, rock hard, sub-zero snow.

Roberta's got TC in the 850, and it's never turned on. It doesn't do any good, from what either of us can tell. Better than a totally incompetent driver, but not good enough to bother with. The Lexus TC must be miles better, eh Tyler?

The biggest problem with earlier K-jets' idle control, Vik, is that the idle controller seems to gum up and no amount of carb cleaner seems to loosen them up. The biggest problem I found when running one was that in extreme cold they'd stiffen right up and not drop below 1800-2000 rpm until the car was shut down and heat was allowed to soak into the controller without any cooling air being drawn thru. Maybe it was the electric element in the valve ('cause I know the wiring was good) but the fix seems to be buying a new one. They're not terribly expensive, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:58 am 

even my studded hakkas have trouble on the skating rinks, i mean roads. That being said, I'm sure it would be downright scary without the studs. I really prefer the feel of a manual 240 over an automatic 940, and yes, abs ftl on the slick stuff. I really have to remember to shift into neutral when i'm trying to stop as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 am 

ABS for the lose? Really? I love mine on the 740, but that might be 'cause it's an M46 car.

I'm going to have to figure out how to add a toggle switch to turn it off for the summer, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:48 am 

thanks matt...i'll look into it if the problem persists

my sister's TC on her 850 seems to work okay, but yeah, I turn it off, but leave it on for her

and abs again FTSHL...at least the vehicle's (pick-up's)/place's (logging roads) i drive them, i would much rather have a 1 ton with no abs then one with...i am used to having to brake without abs and sometime i want the tires to skid, you know?

just not used to it i guess, as you said matt since you have it and are used to it, it might not be so bad

ciao

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next