Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 22   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Bertone
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:06 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

unless that truck were a diesel... which it isn't.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am 

Minor, and rather pointless, update: Duracool conversion still going strong, but DANG is this air conditioning noisy! I used the R12 expansion valve/orifice/filter thingy that I got from FCP, I don't know if that's the reason behind it and that I should have used the more modern, updated, variable-orifice one for the R134 systems (not the original R134 one), but there's a hissing/slurping noise at the evaporator. It's mostly at idle and it's nothing that the radio can't overcome, and it's not too annoying, but it's far from silent. Maybe I used too much oil, I dunno.

Anyway, it works great. Blows nice and cold, though we haven't had any crazy hot days for me to really evaluate it yet. Just after it was buttoned up we had a fairly warm day (in the mid-20s) and it kept up just fine. Strangely I haven't noticed if the compressor turns off when the temperature gets to the setpoint or not. Something I should look into I guess.

I'm also still chasing this annoying exhaust resonance. It's not like the pipes are vibrating, or that the system is hitting against the body, or anything like that. It's a tuned resonance. I think I noticed that the RPM range that it was happening at seemed to drop by a few hundred RPM when I put the manifolds on, and if the longer sections of 2" downpipe (compared to the relatively short 2" header collectors) have anything to do with it, I thought that maybe I could install a crossover in the exhaust to "shorten" the length of the pipes, and change the frequency at which it sings.

So I butchered something in place, that essentially divides the length of pipes into 2/3-1/3. I figured at worst it would do nothing, but ideally it would cut down on the 2300-2800 RPM resonant frequency and maybe move some more into a higher RPM range, where I would welcome the added noise. It sort of worked, a little. The note sounds a little smoother in the lower RPM range and when the exhaust is fully warmed up, it starts singing at about 3000 RPM and not as loud or for as wide a range. The downside is that 120 kph = 3000 RPM. I suppose that if I put the headers back on I might gain another couple hundred RPM out of that annoying zone and put it out of the daily driving range, but the headers made their own noise by virtue of being so thin.

The “warmed up” part concerns me a little. Since I added all this stiffness to the exhaust system, and since the downpipes are restricted in their growth capability, I’m wondering if part of this noise is from misalignment at the joints when the system is cold. When I originally built the system there was a ton of flexibility in the header primaries and a bunch of flexibility in the exhaust, but now everything is pretty rigid. I’m going to try a quick test and ditch the support bracket, letting the downpipes move around with the exhaust, and see if that makes a difference or not. If so, I’ll do a soft support on the exhaust, and if not I’ll put the bracket back on. Other than that, I’ll live with this for the year I guess. I’ve got a cat from Roberta’s 850 and if I get really tired of this system I’ll do something more conventional, like an unequal length 2-1 collector, run the exhaust straight up the right side, and make it all 2.25-2.5” diameter mild steel. Screw it.

These Bilstien HD struts are nice on the highway and I’m sure they’d be nearly essential on the race track, but driving around Calgary they’re killing me. I’ve ordered some Bilstien TC struts and will be installing them as soon as they show up. The spring rates, ride frequency balance, and dampening rates are all over the place. Once I get the front end to absorb bumps I might need to soften the rear springs with “standard” Toyota Previa springs (rather than the progressive “overloads” that I have). It’ll then ride like a Volvo, I suppose, but I’ve been moving more and more towards making this a comfy tourer than a sporty car, and this is just one more step. I guess the next step will be some 195/65 Goodyear Affinity 100,000 mile all-seasons, and a grampa hat.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:11 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

http://motoringconbrio.com/2012/05/23/reader-contribution-peugeot-505-stx-at-vir/

I submitted my brother's car to a blog site and they posted it up. My 505 was randomly featured a while back, and I've been following it since.

He just finished a hub mod and fitted some 17" BBS wheels before the event and it turned out great. It's got the even fire 2850cc PRV V6, with 5-sp. He's also sourced some Eagle Premier exhaust manifolds, but is running the stock 70mm pipe, with a Borla muffler at some point at the back.

It'd be interesting to hear what the two cars sound like - so I may have to get him to post a clip when he's done.

Rabin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:02 pm 

I don't even know what my car sounds like from outside. I'll have to set up a camera or something, get someone to do a drive-by for me, etc. One of these days... Maybe tonight if I can get my wife to open it up - it's quite a handful! :lol: (Her Highlander would leave my car in the dust...)

Your brother's 505 is NICE. Where was that and where does he live? Stock is a 70mm pipe???

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:02 am 

The solution to your resonance problem is so obvious, it's painful.

Gimme a "T"!

Gimme a "U"!

Gimme an "R"!....

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:43 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Blast - stock is 60mm pipe. (~2.25") I wasn't thinkin when I posted.

My bro lives in Charlottesville VA, and is 3 hours from VIR. The PCA track day was last weekend. Car is bone stock aside from the wheel mod, and he's now running 245-40-17 Michelin PS2's. Far cry from the stock 205-60-15's the stock rims allowed you.

The added 4" of track really improved cornering, and had minimal effect with the increased scrub radius - he said you can't even tell and the car tracks beautifully.

Rabin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 am 

swedishmeatball wrote:
The solution to your resonance problem is so obvious, it's painful.

Gimme a "T"!

Gimme a "U"!

Gimme an "R"!....

Like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:02 pm 

3 years later...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:49 pm 

Looks sexy under the snow. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 am 

VROOM!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:47 pm 

Off to it's new home Down Under.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:35 pm 

Thus endeth thread: Project Bertone

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:15 am 

Anyone else now want a double decker car hauler? Best of luck in it's new home. I can now let the cat out of the bag...there's a lovely BROWN 780 for sale in Lethbridge.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 am 

Hahah! Answer? Yes, I want a double decker car hauler.

Whoa Matt! How does it feel to have that gone? Is it going to a good owner?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 am 

Yes, I believe it's going to a very good owner. He's dedicated, anyway. BGPZFM142 on Turbobricks bought it, he's shipping it all the way to Australia and converting it to RHD using a 740 as a parts car. It'll be one of the only 780s on the whole continent, since it's not clear if any were ever built in RHD by Bertone, some were apparently converted after the fact but not many.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 22   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next