Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: 65 122s Derelict Build... Eventually
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 pm 
Bone stock

Hey everyone, my name is Chris and I just picked up a 1965 122s. My old neighbor has a couple of these cars and I always kinda wanted one after seeing his, so I eventually found one that fit bill. I would of prefered a 2 door but I'm planning on doing a Derelict Build so the cars patina was a little more important. The car I got was originally from California and had been very well cared for by just a couple owners before I got it. It came with a ton of service history and just the right amount of wear for the look I am going for.

I currently have 2 larger Jeep projects in the works (91 Cherokee and a 89 Comanche) so this one will just get cruised in the summer mo that until I'm done those but afterwards I plan on trying to walk the thin line of modernizing the chassis and drivetrain without taking away from the classic looks or feel.

Here's some pictures of it right now and some of the small fix'er ups it needs to pass the out of province inspection.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 65 122s Derelict Build... Eventually
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:53 pm 
Bone stock

More photos

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 pm 
Bone stock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:20 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Cool project. I'm not sure I know what a derelict build is, but you may want to scan through the builds on this forum. We've done pretty much everything that can be done to a 122.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:58 am 
First volvo in outer space

Welcome to CVC! Nice looking project.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:36 pm 
Bone stock

Thanks, Woodenshoes and 122_Canuck! Yeah I've already started making my way through the forum and your YouTube channel. Your work on yours is inspiring to say the least. Check out icon4x4 on Instagram, they're the kings of Derelict builds.

Spent a bunch of time getting the old washer pump going. The top pass through connection broken off, so I cut down a rivet and epoxies that in. Then the pump outlet connection broken off, gotta love 55 year old plastic, so I used one of my electric terminal tool ends to again, epoxy in. Then finally the connector for the motor to the driveshaft was slipping so a simple piece of washer hose fixed that. Lots of messing around but it's such a cool pump and I definitely wanted to keep it and not do something new.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:52 pm 
Bone stock

Also had a few touch and go moments as I drove the car on the highway for about 20 mins and then when backing into my driveway the oil light started to flicker. I shut I down right away obviously. I don't know what oil the last owner had put in but I had topped up with some 5w-30 Castrol Edge I had lying around. Talked to Ugly_duck and he suggested dumping that oil and running some thicker oil and something with more Zddp. I drained the oil and put in some Rotella T4 15w-40 for now as I'm going to verify the pressure and then most likely drop the pan and see if I can find out if there's a leak in the system or if the pump is failing. More to come on this shortly as I hope to get that sorted quickly so I can enjoy it for the rest of the summer.

Oh and if anyone is interested here's a link to the build thread on my Cherokee.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/his-h ... mj-253328/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:20 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Ah, so you picked that one up... I was wondering where it went. All my fellow Volvo friends were telling me about it since it was local to me. You have better pictures than the ad :) . Looking forward to more updates!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]