Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: 1991 Volvo 240 - B230F / Automatic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:46 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

This beauty popped up for sale and I couldn't resist not buying it; I needed to get a grip and buy something non-project and more reliable for my daily commute! It's a one owner 240 with 273k KMs (~170 miles) on the clock with full history, B230F with the AW70 transmission.

All I can say is wow... Now I know why Americans go crazy for post '90 240s! Such a lovely driving car, very quiet and smooth compared to what I'm used to. Apparently the only options this one didn't have from the factory was cruise control and a moon roof. I'm still trying to find more information, but I was under the impression all North American '91+ had ABS and SRS. Could be a Canadian thing, though?

Anyway, (lots of) pictures speak louder than words;

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I haven't did a whole lot to it. Still getting used to it really. I picked up a 52mm tachometer and have fitted that; pretty sweet actually! I have a list of things I want to do to this car so we'll see how things pan out.

I'm planning on driving down to the IPD Garage Sale in May so I have a bit of work ahead of me... 8)

I parted out my 242 a few weeks back and I'll be parting out the 245 shortly!

Post subject: Re: 1991 Volvo 240 - B230F / Automatic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:13 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Looks very clean, nice find!! At this rate you will succeed me as the multiple Volvo owner of CVC. :lol:

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:34 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

That looks very nice...less work than getting an older one up to shape that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:10 pm 

sweet ride, if you want some other than stock wheels for it let me know!

also you live in Leduc? I will be messaging you shortly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 pm 

Thanks for the replies; I'm really pleased with the car even though I've only driven it for a week. There's little odds and ends I need to iron out here and there, but mostly minor things for an 18 year old car.

I got 470 KMs from my last tank of gas but upon refilling there was still 14 litres of fuel still in the tank. If I can run 500 KMs per tank just commuting I'd be happy!

And yes, I'm in Leduc! There's plenty of tread left on the current all-seasons so I'm pretty content with driving on these this year, but I wouldn't mind holding out for something nice... what have you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:14 pm 

I've put about 2500 KMs on the Volvo since buying it and I'm pretty happy with it, so far. Gas mileage is great; 500 KMs between fills. This is much easier on my pocket than the 242 or 245. Admittedly, the automatic makes me drive like an old man.

The Air Mass Sensor left me stranded on the highway a few weeks back but luckily a friend had a spare one. I've ordered a new one plus a load of other parts from FCP Groton, which is now my top priority before leaving for Portland on the 8th. Pretty good timing actually, as the service light has just come on!

I haven't really done much to the car otherwise... I'm just waiting for a post '86 with a blue interior to show up in the junkyard as I need various bits of trim etc. I replaced the old broken door pockets with nice new black ones, and changed a broken corner lens.

Image Image Image

This weekend I did pull a non-sunroof black headliner from a '79 GT at the junkyard... it's funny because I didn't like how the stock white one unsuited the dark interior colors. Anyway, it's installed and it's a massive improvement! Pretty worthwhile for the sake of $27 and a few hours work. I also threw on a drivers side Jesus strap while I was at it!

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I've got a cruise control system from a '91 here which we're going to retrofit next weekend, hopefully. We're trying to get my friends 740 back on the road first. I've got my black armrest cupholder from the 242 which I'm going to temporarily fit for our trip, just crossing my fingers for a new dark blue handbrake console first as my current one is smashed up!

I'm also glad to report that, since purchasing the 240, I've found about $5 in change all over. I had the seats out this weekend to fit the headliner and I would happily bet the carpet below hasn't been hovered since the car was new!!

Image Image

Sorry guys, but I still really want a rear window louver, for this thing! And a rear decor panel and headlight protectors, if you ever get wind of any for sale. [-o<

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:16 pm 

It's been a while since I made an update; the last couple of weeks were a little hectic as a friend an I were busy getting our Volvos ready for our road trip to the ipd Garage Sale last week. We're home, and what an awesome trip!

I'm glad to report we covered 4650 KMs over 10 days without any major, or minor come to think of it, problems! The scenery and roads down the Oregon Coast Highway 101 were fantastic; we only made it as far down as Florance, which is about half way. There was a great presence at the ipd Garage Sale with lots of nice cars... the show cars in the parking lot was only a faction of the turn out; they were lined up for a few blocks! The drive home through the mountains was the cherry on the cake.

Here's a rough outline of our route for anyone interested;

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,43.110352&z=5

We also touched base at six junkyards on the trip... unfortunately all the good stuff had already been picked over but we did source a couple of odds and ends but it was still good to see what else was out there.

Here's some random images from the trip; feel free to browse through the whole album on Photobucket;

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Needless to saw I've found a lot of quirks with my 240! Let's just say it was a very exhausting drive home in hot weather with the windows down and the heater blowing hot air to keep the faulty temperature gauge out of the red. There's a slight hot start issue, too.

Before I left, I did successfully fit cruise control! It took a bit of fiddling, but it works perfect and was an absolute pleasure to have for the trip. I installed some GT strut braces and they were a nice upgrade for some of the twisty roads. I fitted some reflective bumper stripes which I think looks awesome and I got a smoking deal on some Thule roof rails, fairing and bike rack the night before I left, so I couldn't resist but to fit that.

A couple of weeks back I replaced the plugs and wires, removed the airbox, cleaned, replaced the Thermostat inside, fitted new air filter and installed the new air-mass-sensor. I also replaced the air-intake hose, removed and cleaned throttle body and bought a flame trap kit - old one was blocked; the nipple was broke in the vaccum pipe and the actual flame trap plastic was missing!! Also had an oil change just before I went! I'd like to change the transmission fluid next and clean up the engine bay as it's really dirty in there.

Anyway, that's all for now, enjoy the photos!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:29 am 

Looks like you had a great time. Kind of fun to look at your pictures and recognize where 3/4 of them were taken. The old Air Museum sort of pales in comparison to the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, doesn't it? We stayed in Dayton when we were there. That's 10 minutes toward Portland from McMinnville...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:09 am 
First volvo in outer space

Hey Darren, great shots thanks for sharing, makes me feel like jumping in the car right now!!

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:21 pm 

Pylon wrote:
Looks like you had a great time. Kind of fun to look at your pictures and recognize where 3/4 of them were taken. The old Air Museum sort of pales in comparison to the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, doesn't it? We stayed in Dayton when we were there. That's 10 minutes toward Portland from McMinnville...

We showed up at the Evergreen Museum an hour before closing and were skeptical about paying $20 entry, but the pretty girl at reception was really kind and let us in as her 'guests', so we got a little green pass and didn't pay a dime! :biggrin: That said, it's worth every penny compared to Tillamook. One thing I really liked about Tillamook though, was the exhibition room with lots of memorabilia and pictures.

Quote:
Hey Darren, great shots thanks for sharing, makes me feel like jumping in the car right now!!

Go for it... next time, I'm going to California!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]