Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Volvo 850 Project...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:49 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

So I had started a thread on Volvospeed, regarding the progress of my ride, and figured I would do a little show and tell, on the local forum, enjoy!!!

So new fittings...

Out with the old in with the new...

So I have ran the 19T with great success with many claiming that it would do in my stock (non-built) engine. I have ran the current setup for over two years now, and it was time to upgrade to a real turbo. So this is what the new turbo (HRC Super 20G) looks like...

Some minor (ahem, ahem) modifications were needed for clearance...

Turbo finally in, now off to the exhaust shop to modify my downpipe, that was one fun drive, not...

All buttoned up with then new exhaust flange and modified downpipe, this one you can actually see the oil feed line is connected to...

With the go fast parts added, I needed some stop sooner parts and handle better parts...

New Rotor vs Old Rotor...

New Front Calipers vs Stock...

This is is the one item on my front suspension that has yet to be replaced...

Waiting on these to get here (in the mail)...
http://www.tkimotorsport.com/p1

Had to sell the 16" Persus (Stock) wheels, that were my winter tires since they wouldn't clear new brake setup, and got these...

Here its just being test fit for clearance, had to use 10mm spacers still...

New Front IPD Sway Bar vs Stock...

New Rear IPD Sway Bar vs Stock...

Summer Wheels clear with no spacers needed...

Also front seats were upgraded to those out of a S60
Way more support, than my tired 850 seats...

The Three gauges pictured,
1) AEM TRUBoost EBC
2) AEM A/F meter
3) Boost/ Vacuum Gauge

Upgraded the Boost controller to a Turbosmart EBoost2, pictured below...

Now Just waiting on my Turbo Tuner (currently in the mail) (http://www.turbo-tuner.co.uk/) for engine management, to make use of the bigger turbo. The way this thing feels at 16psi is more than what my 19T felt like at 21-22psi. I can't go above 16.4psi with my current tune as I lean out on anything over 5000rpm. The new ECU will allow me (or tuner of choice) to modify, fuel, ignition, boost tables, etc...

Also waiting on the weather to clear up... so I can regain traction. The replica R wheels that were pictured above are my new winter wheels and were just outfitted yesterday with new winter tires. Cant wait till I can get my summer wheels/tires back on.

I will update as the few remaining components are received installed, and the real fun begins, so stay tuned...

Ahmad

Post subject: Re: Volvo 850 Project...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Cool stuff!

What's the story on the AEM EBC? Why is the Turbosmart better, and what are you doing with the old one?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

swedishmeatball wrote:
Cool stuff!

What's the story on the AEM EBC? Why is the Turbosmart better, and what are you doing with the old one?

Thanks!!!

AEM was working just fine, but i wanted something with more features, which the turbo smart has, such as:
- rpm dependant boost
- gear specific boost setpoints
- closed loop boost control
- upto six different boost settings
- and the list goes on

I don't really have any plans for the AEM, probably will sell it...

The AEM is a very simple and reliable controller, but the lack of the options listed above meant that it was time to move on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:19 am 

How much would you want for it? Does it act as a boost/vacuum gauge as well. I only have one gauge pod for a vac/boost gauge. I have a solenoid I was going to wire to a switch for a basic two stage controller (works well, done it before), but this could be an option too.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:39 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

So I figured I would add an update since its been almost a month...

So got the last piece for my suspension in, finally...

old vs new...

Installed and all buttoned up...

Also this came in, finally...

Here's a pic of how the engine bay sits at the moment...

And finally, had to do two trips to the dyno, where the first one I realize i had the MAF pegged (100% load, from 15psi), so you're tuning blind at that point... So upgraded to a larger MAF housing to trick the sensor, and required rescaling all the charts for the car even to run let alone produce decent power and when all was said and done...

Produced 327.6WHP and 376WTQ and 18psi... I couldn't get the car to run at 20psi on the dyno it would hesitate (spark blow out), that was a combination of being super rich, when we first got it on the dyno and the plugs were fouled, and there as a slight tear on one of the ignition wire's insulation, that I believe would short under heavy load... Got the plugs out and cleaned and inspected gap, and that's when i discovered the tear in the wire insulation, got that fixed, and voila 20psi all day long, and wow does she fly...

So mission accomplished, that's all folks...

for now... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:29 pm 

Stock bottom end? Wow, very impressive! Enjoy replacing tires and clutches at a record pace! :wink:
I can't wait to have a car that just runs properly, let alone puts down that kind of power!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:28 pm 
First volvo in outer space

:shock: Wow, that's a buncha HP, nice upgrade!! Like Athal said, hope the "breakage" is kept to a minimum.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 pm 

Well done! That's awesome!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

swedishmeatball wrote:
Stock bottom end? Wow, very impressive! Enjoy replacing tires and clutches at a record pace! :wink:
I can't wait to have a car that just runs properly, let alone puts down that kind of power!

The motor in its entirety is stock, this is only achieved with bolt-ons...

Tires, yes, clutches, I hope not, it seems to hold up quite well for now... Torque is what will eventually do in a clutch, and the 19T had plenty of the that... I had over 360wtq with the 19T, and this isn't far from that... Good luck with your car, it looks like you're getting close.

woodenshoes wrote:
:shock: Wow, that's a buncha HP, nice upgrade!! Like Athal said, hope the "breakage" is kept to a minimum.

Thanks, I guess... I don't anticipate their to be any breakage... But your wishes of keeping to a minimum, I second that I guess???

volvoshredder wrote:
Well done! That's awesome!

Thank you...

Now I just have to wait till we have another Volvo meet....

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am 

Everyone who's contemplated a high HP whiteblock has heard of that magical unbreakable internet horsepower limit of 300 before the rods snap. Don't you know that? #-o :roll: :lol:

Good work, Ahmad! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 am 
First volvo in outer space

Hey Ahmad, hope you didn't take my remarks the wrong way. You have built up an impressive car that with all of that extra power pushes the envelope over stock. Wasn't wishing you any ill will, have fun and enjoy all of your efforts. =D>

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:11 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

woodenshoes wrote:
Hey Ahmad, hope you didn't take my remarks the wrong way. You have built up an impressive car that with all of that extra power pushes the envelope over stock. Wasn't wishing you any ill will, have fun and enjoy all of your efforts. =D>

I didn't think you were wishing me ill will, nor did I take it that way. You were simply expressing your concern by how far away from stock this thing is at now... 220 Crank Horsepower and Torque is what Volvo built these at, and now... ~390 Crank HP, and ~430 Crank Torque, is definitely well beyond Volvo's intended design....

Ugly Duck wrote:
Everyone who's contemplated a high HP whiteblock has heard of that magical unbreakable internet horsepower limit of 300 before the rods snap. Don't you know that? #-o :roll: :lol:

Good work, Ahmad! Keep it up!

Someone once said "don't believe all that you read on the internet". I dont know who this guy/ gal is or where they are at, but they have been quoted many a times. I think there are quite a few places that you can get good info from on the internet. I mean there is a stickied link at the top of Volvospeed's performance section that tells people what you can do, and its a really really good read, but it does say that its once you get to 300whp, that things pretty dicey. the stock engine if tuned properly should be able to handle 400bhp. Its also on that forum, that a lot of people gasped at the thought of me doing this to a stock engine...

I honestly think this turbo with the bigger exhaust housing is a much better and safer setup for my stock engine, if everyone complains about bent rods as a result of too much boost too early in the rpm band, get a turbo that spools later, because there is no way you are effectively going to control the boost on that tiny hot side, once you turn up the boost, it just flies. I remember infinite times on my 19T that I would hit 19, 20 or 21 psi under 3000rpm. Also these engines (whiteblocks), are a lot more durable than we give them credit for, sure they could be better or tougher. I still am a firm believer that the main reason that these engines bend rods, is do to user error... If its detonation, then there are normally warning signs, and detonation will almost do in any engine, if you don't react or stop what you are doing... Also what condition is your engine in? how well is it maintained? how fresh is that oil? what grade of gas are you using?

But hey, the 19T was classified as a definite rod bender, and I had it on my car for over 2 years, ~30,000kms and no issues at all. I hope I am this confident 2 years from now with this setup...

Thanks to everyone's well wishes and glad you enjoyed the very brief show...

Once I get the spring/ summer polish and detail, maybe I'll get some pics of how she sits.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:22 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

So figured I would give a quick update as to how things are coming along with my Plat 850. Awhile back I as inquiring about a good deal on a 850R or T5R front spoiler/ bumper, well long story short, here's how she came out...

We better be gearing up for a drive/ event soon... [-o<

I'll see if I can put a vid of her in action...

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:49 am 

Could you post the linky to the place on Volvospeed...I'd like to read this section but fear if I go there they will find me and my dirty fingers. I've got this whiteblock (or two/three) that are waiting for me to get some time next summer before I do anything stupid with them (like put one of them in the 242). I understand the basics of the turbo sh!t, but until I actually build something I don't usually really "understand" it as well as I should. My current plans involve a 2.5 L LPT bottom end (low miles), I've got an R-Sport manifold, 960 bellhousing (hydro throw out bearing, flat flywheel), Supra transmission and a set of GLT cams.

300 hp (wheel or crank) would sure make the 242 more fun, but she still has to start in winter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

122_Canuck wrote:
Could you post the linky to the place on Volvospeed...I'd like to read this section but fear if I go there they will find me and my dirty fingers. I've got this whiteblock (or two/three) that are waiting for me to get some time next summer before I do anything stupid with them (like put one of them in the 242). I understand the basics of the turbo sh!t, but until I actually build something I don't usually really "understand" it as well as I should. My current plans involve a 2.5 L LPT bottom end (low miles), I've got an R-Sport manifold, 960 bellhousing (hydro throw out bearing, flat flywheel), Supra transmission and a set of GLT cams.

300 hp (wheel or crank) would sure make the 242 more fun, but she still has to start in winter.

Here is the link:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/86240-modifying-fwd-turbo-volvos-read-dont-comment/

I like your thinking, by going with a 2.5 LPT, you have larger displacement, higher compression which would make for a more lively engine when off boost....

As for the rest of the list, if you could utilize the entire newer engine, bottom end and head, you will be much happier in the long run, apparently the revisions to the flow on the newer heads, would make it the better choice. They claim that the older heads (white blocks) would require some pretty extensive work and even then you still wouldn't have a better flowing head, other benefits such as solid lifters vs hydraulic, etc...

Either way should be an interesting and fun project, and your goals are perfectly attainable... well at least from the engine standpoint... as for engine management (I would assume some sort of stand alone...), or how the rest of the project would go, you'd be a lot more knowledgeable on getting the trans, bell housing, flywheel all figured out given, not that familiar with what works with RWD configurations in these Volvos, but I'm sure anything is possible...

Good luck and keep us posted...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next