Change font size
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 19   [ 272 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: PYP update thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Tell me the other side is trashed!?! Otherwise what's a perfectly good 1990 240 wagon doing in the yard??? That's an easy $1500 car on the coast!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 am 

Hmmm, that is a nice looking car. I wonder why Pat didn't call. Perhaps Greg could share the details? I'd take a wagon and sell the 242.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 am 

Headlights are good, as is the other side of the car. No rust. Interior is perfect. And yes, I believe that's the same colour as your car Dale. Car was nearly mint. He may have pulled a few bits before getting rid of it, but I believe its nearly complete.

The deal is, I wanted to buy this car when I was in the midst of my car-buying woes a few months ago. I knew of this car from being parked near where I lived, so I decided to drive over to see if I could buy it. I knocked on the guys door, and it turns out he's a friend of a friend from back in Medicine Hat. SUPER friendly, and a very accomplished VW guy who has restored quite a few nice cars. But, when I arrived the car had just been hit in Saskatchewan a week or two before. It was a construction zone, so he slowed down, and someone else didn't and rear ended him hard. He was towing a trailer. So the trailer took the impact, and forced the back frame rails inwards through the hitch. Its hard to see initially, but the whole rear is compressed inwards. But even the tailgate looks fine if I remember correctly. He was super bummed, but the insurance company bought him out. He didn't know the car was at the yard until he went to go pick up parts for his new F150. So PYP must him gotten it off the insurance folks.

I'm working for some of Saturday, but I'm hoping to get to the yard later Saturday afternoon, so I should be able to pull some parts then. I'm talking to my friend to find out the interior colour. If its black I'll be getting some bits there too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 am 
First volvo in outer space

I would guess the interior color is dark blue, don't ever recall seeing light blue over charcoal but I could be wrong. I might spin by today and report back.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:27 pm 

WOW, what a (formerly) nice car!!! :cry: :cry:

That car had some love as the interior was immaculate!! Other than a few scuffs and a couple small love taps the exterior is near perfect. Looked in the wheel wells, spotlessly clean, no rust. Only real knock against it, other than the obviously compressed rear end, is it's an autotragic. The interior is in fact Dark Blue with PW in perfect door cards, the carpet looks new. The tails lights are perfect as is the tailgate if someone wanted to do a later model tailgate swap.

The radio, e-brake console, door pockets and floor trays were already gone.

Dale, I pulled both headlights for you. They are both nice and clear, the DS is perfect, the PS side had one broken tab on the backing plate for the signal light but you could just re-use yours. Pat's off this week so Chris wanted $80 for the pair, hope that works for you as they're here now. [-o<

I went to town and pulled the seats, grill, FPR (it looked newish), visors, center console and all of the under dash trim and pads and glove box.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:21 pm 

Nice work Jim!
Yeah, he's a pretty meticulous guy, so the car should have been well taken care of. He was seriously bummed the car got wrecked, as it was soooo nice.
I seem to recall the tailgate having some damage? But if not, I may consider a swap myself. The floor trays are already in my possession if someone wants some nice blue ones. How were the under dash covers Jim? Are you going to use yours? I think I may be looking for a mint set.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 pm 

woodenshoes wrote:

Dale, I pulled both headlights for you. They are both nice and clear, the DS is perfect, the PS side had one broken tab on the backing plate for the signal light but you could just re-use yours. Pat's off this week so Chris wanted $80 for the pair, hope that works for you as they're here now. [-o<

Thanks Jim!

Dang...between you and Greg's shocks I've almost doubled the price of my car... :lol:

$40 a piece seems a bit high but whatever- it's cheaper than new and mine aren't that great.

I'd love to swap the hood and fenders but I'm not going to put that much time and money into my car...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 pm 

volvoshredder wrote:
Nice work Jim!
Yeah, he's a pretty meticulous guy, so the car should have been well taken care of. He was seriously bummed the car got wrecked, as it was soooo nice.
I seem to recall the tailgate having some damage? But if not, I may consider a swap myself. The floor trays are already in my possession if someone wants some nice blue ones. How were the under dash covers Jim? Are you going to use yours? I think I may be looking for a mint set.

Yeah, I would have barfed if that had been my car, was so nice. I really like that sky blue color. I would have to look at the tailgate again to be super certain, but I thought it looked real good? I know when I opened it the shocks feel and sound solid as well, didn't seem like there was any binding in the door frame from the impact. You can tell that he took the brunt of the impact through the hitch as it's twisted up with only a bit of bending in the bumper. To look at the car it is hard to believe it's sitting at PnP. I grabbed the under dash felts as I have one DS now that's taped in place at the bottom, I can let you know what I have left over once I get in to it.

Pylon wrote:
woodenshoes wrote:

Thanks Jim!

Dang...between you and Greg's shocks I've almost doubled the price of my car... :lol:

$40 a piece seems a bit high but whatever- it's cheaper than new and mine aren't that great.

I'd love to swap the hood and fenders but I'm not going to put that much time and money into my car...

No problem.

Pick-n-Pull's price list shows $45.99 for a lrg composite headlight so it appears to be market price? :shrug: Like I said Pat was off this week so might have got it cheaper from him, although $40 is their posted book price so I dunno.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm 

Dibs on a passenger front seat belt, front seat belt console and a door lock. I could get fenders for Dale - we'll see how the day goes and I'd sort of need Greg's car to put them in for transport. Maybe a Calgary guy could yoink some door glass from the 242 in Calgary?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:06 pm 

122_Canuck wrote:
Dibs on a passenger front seat belt, front seat belt console and a door lock. I could get fenders for Dale - we'll see how the day goes and I'd sort of need Greg's car to put them in for transport. Maybe a Calgary guy could yoink some door glass from the 242 in Calgary?

I think I should have time on the weekend to go pull some glass...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm 

Cool Jim. Thanks. Yeah, I'll have a look at that tailgate soon. I probably don't need it, and on an early car it might look funny, but I'll see.
Craig, you can borrow my car anytime. I'm hoping to go Saturday, but I'm not 100% sure I'll be back in town in time. Dale...you sure you don't want that hood? I'm not sure what they'd charge, but it would sure look a lot better. Next time you're down, its a 5 minute job.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:35 pm 

I don't have any plans for Saturday (at least not that I've been told :roll: ) if someone needs an extra pair of hands or a wagon at PnP.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm 

volvoshredder wrote:
Dale...you sure you don't want that hood? I'm not sure what they'd charge, but it would sure look a lot better. Next time you're down, its a 5 minute job.

I'd like the hood and the fenders but I'm not sure how much money and time I want to spend on this car. I certainly don't want to get to the point where I'm not going recover everything when I sell it. That said, if y'all want to pull the hood and fenders, I'd be happy to drive it down with some 242 glass in the trunk... :D

We should likely make sure the paint code is the same... :wink:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm 

Their website shows a hood w/o hinges at $50, fenders are $40 each so $130 total plus gst.

http://www.airportpickapart.ca/prices/

ETA: Dale, Calgary PnP shows a 93 240 on the yard, can you let me know what color the interior is and if the e-brake console is any good. Looking for tan but thinking about doing a black conversion on Goldfinger. Thanks.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 pm 

woodenshoes wrote:
Their website shows a hood w/o hinges at $50, fenders are $40 each so $130 total plus gst.

http://www.airportpickapart.ca/prices/

ETA: Dale, Calgary PnP shows a 93 240 on the yard, can you let me know what color the interior is and if the e-brake console is any good. Looking for tan but thinking about doing a black conversion on Goldfinger. Thanks.

Tan it is not... IIRC it's charcoal. Don't know about the e-brake console but I can check...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 19   [ 272 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next