Change font size
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: The end of Volvos for me for a while...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z416729254

This sucks, but a man's gotta do...

Quote:
It breaks my heart, but my beloved 740 must go. We're saving for a trip to Europe, and will try being a one-car family for a while. Sit down, relax, and let me tell you about this car.

I bought her from a fellow in Victoria, who worked for the local Volvo dealership. The car had been a trade-in from a local gent who'd owned it since new. The guy I bought it from did some totally half-arsed work on it (all resolved since) and sold it in turn to me in February of 2009. I drove it home over the Coquihalla at speeds I'd rather not talk about.

Why Victoria? It's the closest thing we have to a California climate. The cars there, if garaged, seem to not rust. The three cars I'd had previously all fell prey to the tinworm. I wanted to avoid that. And this car has done very, very well in that regard - I had it rustproofed and undercoated at Ziebart in the first few months I had her. She now has a five-inch line of rust on the leading edge of the hood over the passenger side headlights. And that is it. The car is rust free everywhere else, which is not something one can say about many 740's in Edmonton. I plan on touching up that spot on the hood.

The out-of-province inspection, done by Sandy Lane, turned up some issues - $3500 worth of issues - every dime of which I addressed. Leaky seals, timing belt, all other belts, a collapsed engine mount, a new alternator, o-rings on the oil feed for the turbo, etc. It ALL was dealt with, much to my initial chagrin.

But when I got out on the highway and jumped on the gas to pass a truck, and that truck disappeared in the mirror like it was never there, well, that's a very special thing, and worth the price of admission...

Service record? Oh, buddy, do I have a service record. Every oil change, every headlight, wiper blades, PCV service, the swanky Bosch Pilot NOS foglight covers I found, the mudflaps I brought in from Texas... The binder contains everything from the bill of sale to the $750 worth of synthetic oil, tranny fluid, and differential lube I put in it two weeks ago. In a triumph of an.l retentiveness, I even have a spreadsheet that shows every tank of gas I've ever put in her, as well as a running average mileage total - 25.2 MPG, but lately closer to 30 mpg. I must be getting old.

A year and a half ago, the turbo started showing signs of unhappiness. Thanks to the Calgary Volvo Club forum, I was put in touch with a good guy who sold me his dad's '89 740. That car gave up the needed turbo (still very tight) and a number of spare parts, including an instrument cluster, a set of blue and yellow Bilstien rear shocks, an alternator, a cool "decor panel" that fills the space between the tail lights, and a set of very good Hankook winter tires (two studded), mounted on Volvo factory alloy wheels. I still have this stash of parts. These go with her as well.

By the way, this car is a friggin' carnival ride in the winter - rear wheel drive and studded tires kick butt, and one feels quite the rally driver, hanging it out around corners. The heater is the most amazing one I've ever owned - start her up at -20C, and within four blocks of the house, you have usable heat. Within ten blocks, you're up to operating temps, and you have enough heat to ditch your coat. The block heater works as well as one expects, and she starts with the expected Swedish reliability.

The stereo that's in her is a Clarion, about six years old. It has an auxiliary input, accessible from the back. It's not the most up-to-date stereo, but it is acceptably loud. Be thankful it's not the WalMart POS she was saddled with when I took possession...

Unresolved issues:

1) light body damage - there's a golf-ball shaped ding in the top of the driver's side fender. I imagine a ding-removal place could massage that out.

2) When first started up, she wants to stall when you bump her into drive. This is managed by tweaking the throttle. Once you're going, she exhibits no predilection to stalling.

3) The headliner is drooping in the back. This doesn't really affect the driver at all, bit is a bit of a PITA to anyone in the back seat who's taller than 5'6". According to the folks at http://www.turbobricks.com, this is a weekend job with the right materials and patience.

4) The driver's side seat heater is non-functional. Not sure about the passenger side. This is something that happens in these cars over time.

5) A slight demonic possession issue - ever since I've owned it, turning on the headlights on a cold morning causes the dashboard to "black out" - no speedo, tach, or gas gauge, but the temp gauge continues to function. This is remedied by running all the heat (which comes up fast, remember) through the driver's side dash vent. This moves enough heat into the instrument cluster / headlight switch that the problem resolves itself, the dash lights up and the gauges all come to life. I have no idea how this works. Perhaps elven forest magic or some kind of Swedish pagan thing involving blood sacrifice and herring. Personally, I think it's a bum connection in the headlight switch that swells into usefulness when heated. Never took the time to track that down. It's an annoyance, but certainly nothing major.

As far as I know, there are no other issues with this car.

There's a lot about this car that I could tell you. She's been a good old girl to me for the last three years and 41,000 km. But if I'm going to Europe, she has to go to someone else. If you think you might be that person, let me know and we can arrange a meeting and a test drive. I have no secrets here, and I despise jagoffs like the guy who sold me a car full of mysteries, deceit, and miserable little surprises I had to hunt down and resolve. I'm happy to send you to the two mechanics responsible for maintaining the car since I've had her, and they'll be happy to tell you what they know about her history.

BTW, the cool custom grille emblem comes from San Diego Old Town. I wish it was a bit bigger, but it's pretty close, and looks goofy/metal enough to make me laugh every time I look at it.

Thanks for looking,

Dan

Post subject: Re: The end of Volvos for me for a while...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

What do you figure, folks? Is my pricing out to lunch? Does anyone know anybody who might be interested in this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

It's quite a bit more than I'd pay for an automatic '87 sedan with that kind of mileage, but I tend to have old Volvos practically forced on me. If I were looking for one that might be a different story. $2000 is buying a lot of car, in this case, but there aren't a lot of people willing to put up with this kind of machine. Have patience, your buyer might come.

OTOH, you might as well sell it for $1000. You're already losing your shirt on it at $2000.

So, um, naww... keep it.

Did that help?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 am 

Having just purchased a later model turbo wagon with the more desirable manual with around the same miles for less money, I'd have to say you're asking a little much. Hate to say this, but earlier 700 series sedan aren't worth very much anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:26 am 
First volvo in outer space

^^^ What they said. It sounds like you have poured a fair bit in to that car, which makes it nicer than most other $500 heaps of that vintage but it's still an 87 autotragic. If it was a 240 sedan with auto your price would still be high and 240's are holding their own, and or appreciating in price for the right car. Using Greg's latest purchase as an example of 740 pricing, if it had been an NA with autotragic the price would have dropped almost, if not, in half (< $1K). I just bought a nice rust free 89 244 with A/C, PW and m47 with km's similar to yours for $900.

The biggest issue you have is that you paid someone else to do the work, even if you did it yourself you still won't recover the cost of the parts you installed for that particular car but it wouldn't be as big of a hit. If you were targeting the Tbrix hoon the shit out of it crowd, the negatives aside from price are the auto, small rod motor, disintegrating harness etc. An analogy to describe your pricing dilemma is the very large upscale house built in a shitty neighborhood, no matter how much you put in to that house it will never see that value due to the location.

Like Matt said, if you like the car and it's not causing you any grief, I would just keep it. That's not very helpful advice I know as you indicated going to a one vehicle household, maybe park it for awhile and see how it goes with one car. If you find one car isn't cutting it you can always put it back on the road again for less than buying another car and preserve your losses.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

I appreciate the input, guys - thanks very much.

Long ago I came to terms with the fact that every single car I buy will be a moneypit. I have no space to work on a car - I rent a patch of concrete to park on - and all my maintenance is done by pros as a result. That's killing me. The car itself is rock solid, and will be a very good horse for a guy who has the time/space/inclination to continue to maintain her.

I have no place to store it. Parking every month is $50, insurance another $80, the plates are up for renewal in January... it's just not in the cards for me to hold onto her any longer. She has to go.

If someone jumps on it for $2k, I'll be very pleased. At this point I'm open to negotiation within reason. Please talk it around to your friends.

Cheers,

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 am 

FWIW I would take the current ad down for a week and repost it at $1900 max, it's not much of a drop but the psychological barrier of a $2K 87 740 is hurting you. I think your honesty in advertising is refreshing but it's hurting your sales potential. By discussing how much you have put in to the car it makes buyers think the car is a money pit, instead, keep it brief and just say all mtce. is up to date and have receipts to prove it. Leave out the turbo repair details as well, just add that the turbo has been updated along with the other mtce. By stating all of the unresolved issues in the ad you are encouraging potential buyers to make up their mind online when you need to get them to look at the car in person. Just my $.02, GLWS. :D

ETA: Here's a link to the pricing for an 87 740 on vmrcanada.com for reference.

http://vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canpri ... v7440.html

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Last edited by woodenshoes on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
added a link

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Good advice, mate - thanks for that.

I reckon I'll relist her at $1400. That seems a bit more reasonable. I'll gear back on the detail as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm 

FWIW I paid $250 for a perfectly good '92 960 a couple of years ago.

The wheels were added later. My point is that it's an unfortunate fact but most people view these cars as worthless. Unless you manage to get the attention of an enthusiast who recognizes what's been done and what that's worth, the common view is it's a 20+ year old car with a bunch of miles on it and is pretty much worthless. Here's hoping you find the right guy or girl... :wink:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:26 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Thanks, Dale. That's a hell of a score for $250!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:08 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Well, thanks to the sage wisdom of Woodenshoes, the Volvo is now sold - $1400 cash to a very nice young fellow who was willing to overlook her issues and be happy with how awesome she is.

Thanks, gang - it's been cool.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:57 pm 

Dark Alley Dan wrote:
Well, thanks to the sage wisdom of Woodenshoes, the Volvo is now sold - $1400 cash to a very nice young fellow who was willing to overlook her issues and be happy with how awesome she is.

Thanks, gang - it's been cool.

Dan

:lol: Every dog has it's day once in awhile. Glad it worked out for you and that you got a decent price.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]