Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Garage organization... need ideas!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:25 pm 
Whost Pore

Well, i've been cleaning up, and i've honestly got four 5-gallon pails full of sockets, a large tub full of wrenches of various types and sizes, enough pliers and vice grips to fill another, enough clamps that a few feet of my work-bench is clamped along the entire length.

I need to organize things.

I've got one large tool chest and a smaller topper-type chest, both are mostly full of junk, with a few special tools mixed in.

That being said, has anyone seen any nifty ways to organize the large amount of sockets and such that i do have?

Post subject: Re: Garage organization... need ideas!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:49 pm 
Whost Pore

Heads up! Princess auto here has the socket holder rails on special for 80 cents each! That's 80 cents to hold 16 sockets!

So, as far as progress goes, i really should get the motor in the PV asap, it'd clear up a lot of floor space.

I'm looking at buying a LARGE metal lathe because i can, and it's a heck of a good deal, so i'm trying to make a bunch of room.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Yeah, I use those socket-holders - just get one metric and one imperial for each of the drive-sizes (each-one takes a regular and a deep socket), then put the rest into a BIGGER bucket! =D> Then... in order to be able to read the ##'s, maybe make a shelf which is angled (like seats in the theatre). Mine are at eye-level, and I have to peer-over the ones in the front...

Hmmm. If you are like me, you might want 2 or 3 of each socket - maybe only in 3/8ths - maybe Princess has something for that. Otherwise, you can weld.... make longer spindles to hold 2 or 3, etc.... For the wrenches, you can mount something similar on the wall, with the steel rod at an angle, then stack as many of each of the wrenches you have on top on each-other. As for the wrenches without a box-end, you might just have to do the unthinkable: clean-out your toolbox!!

Maybe this is all too elementary - I once built a rack which was on pulleys so I could pull it up out of the way when I didn't need it. 8)

The final option is - wait awhile, and the urge to clean-up will go-away. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 am 
Whost Pore

haha, yeah, princess auto also had these nifty little wrench racks on for 2 bucks, i picked up a fair bit of organizing stuff today, began sorting things out, it's scary. I've nearly replenished my two big kits, and have spares of nearly everything. I've got ~~20 spark plug sockets too :S

I'll post some pics when i'm getting near done with it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:12 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Do I ever know what you mean...here's what I've done in the last year to get things the way I like them. First, buy one big mother of a tool box (I prefer the stainless not for the look, but for the fact that when (not if) I get paint on it, it wipes off).

You can see that I've undermounted a CTC tool box in the bench and have another small 2 drawer on the bench top. This is the tool corner. Everything was taken out of my previous boxes and organized one bit at a time based on how I work. You have to try out several different organisation strategies before you find on that yields a tool right where you need it all the time.

Here's the top of the box - measurment and precision tools.

Here's the socket holder - I use the long drawer for sockets.

I've added a few things into this drawer (torque wrench etc) as I developed teh plan.

I have a mobile welding toolbox with rod and misc material holder.

Inside - one drawer per process (MIG, TIG, Stick, Plasma)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 am 

I was wondering where that wire brush went!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:45 pm 
Whost Pore

that's about half of what i'm dealing with... it's retarded.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:32 pm 

That would literally drive me nuts. I just can't handle not knowing where tools are - not that my garage doesn't get messy - that CTC set of tools you have fit perfectly into a roller one per drawer. Waste a little space - it does your mind good. Greg did that with the same kit and has a very clean tool box as a result.

Just take your time and remember, buy more tool box than you think you'll ever need...because you'll fill it right away!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:00 pm 
Whost Pore

Those are just the extras! I've got my big chest filled with a mixed ctc/craftsman kit.

The garage is nearly organized now, gotta haul a few loads of scrap, and it'll be better. I'm using the small kit for all my measuring/precision/machining/welding stuff

All the big things, bearing, auto tools, sockets and wrenches are going in the big standup kit.

I'll think about posting some picz when I finish up. If I get this lathe I'm looking at though, who knows! Also, my tubing bender is in on monday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 am 

Hmmmmmm, I seem to recall you have a "little" furnace..... Maybe you could make a door-stopper?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:45 pm 
Whost Pore

door stopper? to keep things from going in?

lol.

The garage is coming along nicely! soon i'll have room for both the PV and the amazon wagon in there. If i end up picking up the lathe(s) i want tomorrow, it might screw me up again, but otherwise, it should be good.

Looking at putting a waste oil furnace in to keep things warm. Sad really, i'll probably be gone in a year and have to move everything. It'll be nice having everything organized when it comes time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 pm 

Judging by a few other's experiences (on here), you might at least want to make sure you have a good lock on that door. Maaan! Stealing somebody's tools - that's pretty low.

I don't know how you can get anything done and still study - I was head-down and arse-up for 4 years up there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:46 pm 
Whost Pore

slacktitude and procrastination. I`m okay getting B`s in exchange for some life enjoyment, and taking my profs out for drinks and helping them on their cars/other projects usually seems to buy me a lot of leniency.

The garage is locked, and there is a good amount of insurance on the contents. We have had a break-in in the past. As well, security lights front and back.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:20 pm 

I wish I was in your program - my profs were all cone-heads (electrical engineering).

Plus, I was just a kid - early 20's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:06 pm 
Whost Pore

It's never too late to go back! Except the problem that I'm going to be shipped out somewhere whenever I do land myself a job. I'm hoping to end up in saskatoon flying in and out of somewhere.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next