Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Newer Volvo Thread, R, XC etc.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:23 am 
First volvo in outer space

Seeing as how a number of recent threads seem to be getting derailed in to a discussion of newer Volvo's, of late specifically R's and XC's, this is the place for these discussions. I am thinking anything from the start of the WWD :wink: era is suitable material, so 1993 850 forward is fair game.

For reference here's a few threads of late that have gone off topic. Although I know the discussion in the 2 threads Greg started on his XC adventures were OK with him, others may wondered what we were doing.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3060
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3083
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3095

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post subject: Re: The Newer Volvo Thread, R, XC etc.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:15 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Thanks Jim. I totally haven't minded the discussion in my threads about various things, but I'm sure this will be good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm 

volvoshredder wrote:
Not bad. No doubt the cars been looked after. My 4C's are leaking already at 130k. Good to know it can happen even earlier.

My question is, what do you think the car is worth upgrades aside. Seems to me the price isn't TOO bad, bit I was thinking it might be worth maybe 16k?

Seems like this may take off for a bit so I replied over at the WWD Volvo's thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3095&start=90

If you look at vmrcanada.com it comes out around the $16K at dealer retail, although the book pricing for R's is always lower than the street? If you use your XC as a reference, with a few more miles, his price is close to what you paid retail. Then add in the R and 6 speed premiums and he's probably around retail price without any consideration of the upgrades and the new 4C. Dunno, maybe I'm being too generous but if the car checked out on PPI I don't know how much lower I would go if it was mine?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm 

Fair enough. Although I paid a premium for the XC as it was from the dealership. But I think you're right...its got fewer miles, and more goodies, so 18k perhaps isn't all that bad. Really doubt it will sell locally in the Hat, so its going to take someone motivated to come from somewhere else. Question is, would someone travel for such a generic R?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Is there such a thing as a generic R ? they are all somewhat special, this one would be best for described as
"Incognito R"....
Much better for NOT getting noticed. While My brothers is bright red,and by the way looks great that color,it is loud and attracts attention... sometimes not what you want.

Seems like most cars these days have some or a lot of issues,specially performance ones, gottta pay to play I guess.
Look at it this way, you could buy a cheaper one, say in the 10-12k or cheaper yet...then open your wallet.
this one seems to have had a few upgrades/repairs and I would assume he is trying to recoup some of his cost.

I believe my brother payed about 15k for his with 120,000 kms on it,but well looked after and having had some recent maintenance. although I think he is in the market for some new struts/shocks/ whatever those springy controller things are called.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 am 

Agreed, not sure I would call any R "generic", but it's a fair point that the silver/nordkap combo is about as plain as it get's. I think like a lot of things in life the more desirable color combo's may bring a bit of price premium, but it's the time to sell (much quicker) that they bring over say this car. If you watch the FS section on SS people definitely go far afield for the right car as there just aren't that many out there, and many that are for sale have a laundry list of, ahem, deferred maintenance...

Being an 07 with a 6 speed still think the car brings 14-15 private party before the mods if the seller can wait it out based on other cars I've seen. Add in the mods and the new 4C and another 3K isn't out of line. The 07 6 speed I looked at in Canmore earlier this year was listed at $15900 with 148K and was a total disaster. The ad was down in ~ 2 weeks, and obviously I don't know what it sold for but say it went for $14K (or even $13K) and by comparison I would drop $18 on this car in a heart beat.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:25 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

That 07' manual with all those upgrades is a steal for that price! If my wife would have allowed a 6sp manual I would have some serious buyers remorse now.

I think I still got a great deal on my car as it really is a fantastic car. I'll also have to add that photos do not do the Electric Silver justice - when my car is clean and the sun is shining it looks stunning.

As for the 4C - I was just reading up on the latest. You basically cut the sensors out of the original shocks and plug them in - system fooled. There's a guy running a Bilstein set up and quite likes it. Tempting to replace the 4C - but I also read about moving the suspension motion sensor from the shock to the body and it greatly reduces the tendancy for the 4C to be "crashy" over sharp bumps - So I'm going to try that first before writing off the 4C set up.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... Four-C-Mod

And the HD Bilstein swap:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...th-HD-BILSTEIN

Rabin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm 

Rabin, was hoping you would pop in! I was starting to think I was just trying to justify the price to myself, thanks for confirming what I was thinking. Like I said before the iPd bill alone would be close to 1/3 of his asking price. Not a fan of silver in general, but have to agree the Electric Silver is different, in a good way. If I had my druthers it would Passion or Seafoam over Atacama, but I would still take the best possible car regardless of color.

Thanks for the links on defeating the 4C, I'm not really qualified to comment but I can't see where a set of non-adjustable Bils or Konis would be a bad thing compared to the PITA dealing with the OEM setup. Jordan's revelation of leaking 4C's at 80K is ridiculous, especially for a setup that costs that much to replace.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:35 pm 

If you can get them at Rock Auto they're not that expensive, and my understanding is that they fill their orders in small batches so if it's not stocked to just keep checking.

I've got one front strut that's starting to appear moist, but at almost 90K miles it's not outrageous for life expectancy. I'm not a total fan of 4C either, and it's crap on rough roads no matter what due to that really harsh crashing it tends to do on sharp bumps. It's livable of course - but you do expect more from the car. If moving the sensor reduces that crashing then I'd consider replacing the 4C with new from Rock Auto as it is nice having the instant selection to firm things up or soften them up.

HD Bili's are likely a bit too firm for my tastes - I'd prefer some Koni FSD's or Sports so that I could dial in the rebound so that it was to my tastes for SK roads - but only if I can't get the 4C's suitable.

I'm also running the Hankook EVO 12's down and they'll be replaced with some Michelin AS3's - with some new rubber I'm hoping it makes the ride a bit better as well.

Jim - I seriously don't think you're going to find an 07' with that low of kms, with that amount of work already done, and with those tasty mods done for that price. It really is a hell of a deal. Only things to be on your radar would be t-belt, and I would make sure to flush out the hydraulic clutch master if possible as that was the only 6sp issue I came across (Leaking clutch slaves). My buddy's 04' 6sp R is a HELL of a nice car, and if it were just me I'd sell my auto and get this one in a heartbeat - it's just so much nicer when you're able to shift yourself.

What really makes me like this car is going for rides in other cars. People can be really tough on R's, but when you directly compare them against other cars - they really shine. It absolutely killed the 08' 535 Touring I took out for fun to drive.

As for visits - I don't get to browse as much online since work toughened up non-work related sites being visited, so it makes it tougher to visit the sites I like to stay on top of.

Rabin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:02 pm 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

I'm just popping in to say I miss my s60r. What an awesome daily driver.

I personally would pay premium for a colour like red or blue.

There was a blue on atacama v70r for sale ere last summer. It had all the iPd goodies and we serviced it at the dealer. 6 speed, winters, 140k if I remember right. He wanted 18k. My brother almost bought it an probably should have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:24 pm 

I really wanted Magic Blue w/Atacama, but the only one I found was in BC for $26K and he was firm. There was also a black on Atacama at the Mazda dealer in Edmonton for $22k but no options and no service history, and they wouldn't move on price either.

Colour and interior options are way down the list with a car as rare as the '07 R 6sp manual - so conditon and mileage are king and they don't get much better than this in a 7 year old car.

And yes - I asked my wife again how firm she was on the car staying an automatic... Nope - no such luck!

Rabin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:02 am 

Just wanted to post a 4C update:

I just redid the front brakes (turned rotors and Hawk HPS pads), and while I was at it I moved the strut motion sensors to the chassis. Made little brackets so that they were oriented the same way and I've driven on them the last three days with a trip to Saskatoon as well.

FANTASTIC change in ride quality! Suspension is not nearly as "crashy" as before, and the different modes actually feel substantially different. I would highly recommend this minor change as it really is a marked improvement - so much so that I'd be happy to replace with stock when its time to replace.

One caveat is that I had to remount my winter tires at the same time and they're obviously much softer tires than the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's that were on it. (Rear tires wear corded!) Michelin AS3's are on order so I'll update again once I can verify ride quality with new tires installed.

Rabin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 am 

Good news. I wonder why Volvo did it the way they did it, then?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:45 am 

Isn't it the way that the simplest solution works the best? Not enough "just enough" engineering by Volvo, nice work Rabin! =D>

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:07 am 

My guess is that on a smooth race track the suspension would be actively adjusting for conditions. One might also assume that it's DSTC system won't be able to predict loss of control situations which it is designed to counteract.

I'm totally fine with that however as the ride and handling have vastly improved. I had no idea that the struts could respond to damping changes so quick - but it does and it rides much poorer as a result as the suspension tightens up over bumps and is mechanically very harsh. (Makes me physically wince its so harsh.)

Best way to describe it now is that the three setting are much more consistent. I wasn't a fan of comfort as it was very "boingy" and uncontrolled, and only good for slow speed rough roads at best. Sport was better - but it "crashed" over bigger bumps. Advanced was pretty much unusable unless on pristine pavement or at high speed.

Now the suspension is much more like a regular suspension that happens to have 3 distinct settings. The uncontrolled springy feeling in comfort is now most likely as a result of computer intervention changing rates constantly which made it feel inconsistent and uncontrolled. Comfort is now much nicer setting to use and I use it much more.

I'm very curious to hear what Jordan has to say about this mod, but as it stands now there's no way I'll change it back unless there's a serious unknown consequence.

Should 4C not be available later - thats when I'll convert to a regular suspension, but for now I like the P2R even more now with a more useable 4C system.

Rabin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next