Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Dustin's 122 adventures
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Hi folks,

Things have been quiet here, so I thought someone might be interested in what I've got going on right now. It'll also give context for all the questions I'm going to be asking.

This past summer, I bought a 1966 122 2-door sight unseen off Ebay. Dumb idea, I know, but I talked to the seller on the phone and it seemed like an okay price. When I brought the car up, it turns out that needs some serious sorting. The main thing is that there are pretty good rust holes on the front passenger side, and the back seat driver side floor is pretty much gone. The rest of the car is pretty good, rust-wise. I asked him specifically about floor and fender rust, and he said it had none. So the guy is a bastard.

I bought a MIG welder from Craig and he taught me enough to be dangerous, and my plan is to get those floors in there soon.

Then, about 6 weeks ago, I saw an old black 122 sedan on kijiji for around $600. I offered the guy $300 and he took it, and it turns out that it has a solid hood and fender, both of which I need for this 2-door car. It also has some 123GT parts (like an original dash-mounted tach) that John P put on it some 20 years ago. It has a 123 dash too, but it's in really rough shape. It probably has other 123GT parts that I just don't know how to identify. So right now the black car is on jackstands in my garage. It's extremely rusty in some areas, but other bits seem excellent (like the gas tank). The instrument cluster is nicer than the one on my 2-door too so I pulled that.

The biggest thing I'm getting off that car is a transmission with overdrive. It looks super clean from the outside, so I'm optimistic it's fine. I drove the car home, and even though I barely made it, it shifted really well.

A person can learn a lot from tearing a car down and not having to worry about putting it together I'm finding.

My current goal is to strip what I want off that car, and then determine if my Ebay car is worth putting money into. I won't throw good money after bad, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be fine. I've gone for a few neighbourhood drives and it's running not too badly.

Below is how my garage looked for a week or so. I've sold the blue 122 with the spotlights. The white car is the Ebay one. The black one is the parts car. In case anyone is wondering, the black car really isn't salvageable. The frame is swiss cheese, but that's just the start.

Post subject: Re: Dustin's 122 adventures
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:38 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

So you bought that Craigslist one. I thought about making an offer and then selling the 123 parts and crushing the rest. The seat frames are 123GT parts too and even just the chrome sidepieces go for good money on eBay. Good that you sold the blue one. 3 Volvos is just...well...silly... :lol:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:50 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Yeah, Dale.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That black one looks dang good! I believe you however. Whatever you have that you don't need, John P will take it, and it doesn't hurt to have some credit on his 'account'.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:33 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Pylon wrote:
So you bought that Craigslist one. I thought about making an offer and then selling the 123 parts and crushing the rest. The seat frames are 123GT parts too and even just the chrome sidepieces go for good money on eBay. Good that you sold the blue one. 3 Volvos is just...well...silly... :lol:

I didn't realize they were 123GT seats. I'm glad you said that. I wasn't going to keep them. I came on the forum just now to post a picture and ask if you were sure, but the little black knob says "Recaro" and I imagine a normal Amazon wouldn't have Recaro seats.

Here's the picture anyway, just for fun:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm 

Definitely 123 seats. I'm not sure how much of the seat is actually Recaro. I was under the impression the actual seats were stock Volvo parts. The Recaro part was the side pieces along with the reclining feature. I'm sure someone who knows more about them than I do will correct me...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Question about a driveshaft:

I want to take the driveshaft off this car. I've done it before in a 142 and I didn't have any trouble, but the rear diff seems to be totally locked up and I can't turn the wheels to rotate the shaft to get to the bolts on the other side of it.

Any suggestions? I don't know why the rear wheels seem to be locked. The car is in neutral because I can turn the motor by hand.

My plan, if I have to, is to take 2 of the 4 bolts off, take the car off the jackstands and use the weight of the car to roll it a bit to rotate the shaft, and then put it back on stands to loosen the bolts. I'm being pretty lazy I guess.

Thanks,
Dustin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:41 pm 

Parking brake on?

You are keeping the transmission as well, I presume?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Pylon wrote:
Parking brake on?

You are keeping the transmission as well, I presume?

Oh piss. I'm so glad I asked. Parking brake was on. Much thanks.

I am keeping the transmission. It's a big reason I bought the car. I don't know when I'll get it in the "new" car but that's the plan.

Dustin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 am 

Stedenko wrote:
Pylon wrote:
Parking brake on?

Dustin

I don't know if I would have admitted that, Dustin... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 am 

I'm sure it goes without saying that you NEED to take the number plate and the fresh air intake...this is the only way to ID a 123GT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:39 am 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Ugly Duck wrote:
Stedenko wrote:
Pylon wrote:
Parking brake on?

Dustin

I don't know if I would have admitted that, Dustin... :lol:

I almost didn't, but I appreciate everyone keeping their amusement to themselves. :oops:

Dustin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 am 
4 Valves per cylinder!

122_Canuck wrote:
I'm sure it goes without saying that you NEED to take the number plate and the fresh air intake...this is the only way to ID a 123GT.

I took the intake off, but this car isn't actually a GT. It's a 122 sedan that someone put a bunch of 123GT parts on some years ago.

Dustin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:42 pm 

122_Canuck wrote:

didja notice the 4-door part? :? :mrgreen:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:27 pm 

Pylon wrote:
122_Canuck wrote:

didja notice the 4-door part? :? :mrgreen:

Yup - board reading at work again...oops. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Hello,

Could someone walk me through the finer points of doing a compression test on my 122? The manual on the gauge says to take the wire off the coil and ground it, take the plugs out, and open the butterfly plate all the way so air can flow unrestricted.

Do I also somehow stop gas from getting to the carbs? Can't see it helping because there will be gas in the float. 

Any advice appreciated. I'm out of town until tomorrow and then I'll be home to try it. 

Thanks,
Dustin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next