Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Dustin's 122 adventures
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

I think this is pretty cool. I've got the original owners manual and service book from this car. Looks like a guy named Paul Carr bought it in 1966 in Alameda, CA. There was an actor in California at that time named Paul Carr. That would be pretty sweet if this was his car. It's a pretty common name though.

Looks like he kept the service up for a while:

Dustin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Oh, back when you could read the hand writing of the service manager! I've got the same for my car. Volvo owners keep good records.

Post subject: Dustin's 122 adventures - Floors
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:33 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Hi folks,

I've been working on my car at a glacial pace, but I've got my floors from Olaf and I cut the front one down to the right size and test fit it. All that shiny silver sure contrasts all the brown surface rust.

Here's my question: what do I coat the bottom of the floor with? I'm planning on undercoating it too. Do I just undercoat directly on the steel floor? Should I use Tremclad on it? I'm going to POR-15 a lot of the inside surface rust. Should I just use POR-15 on it since I will already have it handy?

If the internet hadn't been invented and you guys weren't around to ask, I'd just use Tremclad on it, since it doesn't have to be pretty. I have a feeling it doesn't really matter.

I'll post some pictures when I have something to show.

Thanks,
Dustin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:25 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Check the can, Dustin, I think it only sticks to metal that has some oxidation on it. If you are talking about that black stuff, I put it on the backs of my bumpers, and it peels off. Por 15 also sells an etching primer that will stick to anything - hey - I have a can which was never used (I forgot I had it) I'll sell it to you for 40 bucks.

Otherwise, it depends on how thorough you are going to be on the rest of the car, but clean metal and tremclad does seem tempting. I'm sure others will pipe-in with something practical.

You should think about sound-dampening too since you already have a bare floor. Have you heard of Blue Skin? John P gave me a BIG roll of it, and I'm sure you could have some. Just peel and stick. I'm told it is kind-of stretchy, so should go on pretty well.

I expect I will have my car in the garage this weekend, so you can have a peek, and I should have had a go with the Blue Skin by then too.

James

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:07 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Thanks James. I just don't know what people do to the bare metal when they replace floors. When done, I'm going to undercoat the bottom, and insulate the top before carpet goes in, so I don't know how much it matters.

Dustin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:20 pm 

Hey Dustin,

Probably a couple of coats of paint on clean and degreased metal should do it.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:52 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Bare metal needs epoxy primer and then either some top coat of some kind or just regular rubberized undercoat underneath and some body colour on the inside. Oh and don't forget to seam seal both inside and out of the weld area.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:43 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Thanks guys. Seam seal instruction noted.

I set my carpet on fire from the sparks while cutting. Craig, as well as the entire internet, warned me about that. It was epic. I had removed almost all the carpet except for the stuff high up under the dash.

I have a lot of cleanup to do now. Put this under the "mistakes you only make once" file. The file's getting thick.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 pm 

Hahahah hah hah. Imagine-that, Dustin. Mis-takes are to be learned from. Speaking of which...

I just finished gluing-up my steering-wheel and when I took it in to Perry to get painted, he told me the glue won't hold. I have to carve wells in the wheel where the cracks are, and fill them with epoxy, then sand, sand, sand, and more sanding. He offered me some of his epoxy-putty (the kind you work with your hands to mix the two parts), which I already have some of, but I'm not so sure this is the best option - it seems grainy, and possibly porous????

(threadjack - I know. If nobody answers, I'll probably buy some tubes of epoxy.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:13 am 
I like cake

I know this is an old post, but I just joined and have some info on the black 1965 4 door 122.
I bought it from John P. in about 2000, originally white at that time. I had just totally rebuilt a 1967 122, and needed a winter vehicle. Had driven my 123GT all year long since 1989, but she died in an accident in 1999.

I painted it black in 2001, threw in some old 123 Gt parts I had - an old dashpad, the under the dash kneepad, the tach and some 123 seats. I guess I also threw in an od transmission.

video below from 2003, just bought my '96 850 and black 122 up for sale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc0q2pjfeuU

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3