Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: xc90 woes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:40 am 
Bone stock

Help, I'm still having issues with my xc90. I have been taking my 2006 volvo to mike at north mount as I can not for the life of me find this mystery paul guy. He even has an answering machine these days but the box is full so I can't leave a message. I've tried for weeks! so after fixing a mystery clunk that had something to do my exhaust something being broken and banging against something I now have another worse clunk. When I slow or come to a stop the transmission clunks quite badly and shifts really hard. Mike told me to take it to a transmission shop and have the transmission fluid changed. Dropped it off yesterday and they said the problem was bigger then that. They temporarily fixed the problem yesterday they said by just resetting the computer but they said that hasn't actually fixed the issue so today they are trying to figure out why it did that. A few months ago a light came on about transmission fluid? I can't remember but when I added a little fluid it went away. They added less then a litre and didn't even charge me as they said it was so little. Light turned off and hasn't gone on again since. As you can see I understand NOTHING so I'm desperate for a mechanic who does. Mike seems like a nice guy but not sure he's really getting to the bottom of things for me. I brought a different car in to him this week for a/c problems and I now have a car with no improvement that I have paid to see an improvement for. He does seem like a good guy though so I'm willing to stick with him but now my cars in a transmission shop and I'm sensing the zero's are on the rise.

Post subject: Re: xc90 woes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hopefully Jordan can come in here with positive words of encouragement - he's our resident Volvo tech. He lives in Edmonton but we like him anyway. Have you thought about trying the other suggestions we gave you, Jennifer? Magnum Automotive, etc.? Maybe Mike isn't the guy for you after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:23 pm 
Bone stock

I haven't tried another mechanic yet as I haven't given up on Mike yet. Update to my transmission. They didn't replace any fluids as they are trying to get the something to trip so they can figure out what the problem really is. They say replacing fluids would be like throwing my money away until they find the cause. They want me to leave the car with them so they can drive it around when they have time and try and make it trip. Does this sound reasonable? Its a drag to be carless as we have 4 drivers in the house (visualize teenage angst). They've had it 2 days. How long is reasonable to just have it there while they try and drive it around waiting for the thing to trip?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:33 pm 
First volvo in outer space

jennifer wrote:
I haven't tried another mechanic yet as I haven't given up on Mike yet. Update to my transmission. They didn't replace any fluids as they are trying to get the something to trip so they can figure out what the problem really is. They say replacing fluids would be like throwing my money away until they find the cause. They want me to leave the car with them so they can drive it around when they have time and try and make it trip. Does this sound reasonable? Its a drag to be carless as we have 4 drivers in the house (visualize teenage angst). They've had it 2 days. How long is reasonable to just have it there while they try and drive it around waiting for the thing to trip?

Sounds very reasonable to me, not many shops will go to that much trouble to try and pin down a problem rather than just throwing money (yours) at it and hoping for the best. Biggest issue is when/if they can replicate the problem.

I feel for you on the teenage angst issue, BTDT...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 pm 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

Jordan is me and I unfortunatly live in Edmonton.

Is your car a 5vylinder turbo or a v8?

When does it clunk? All gears? Or just when you shift from park to reverse or drive?

Honesty the transmission behind the Volvo I pretty bulletproof, have you ever had a transmission fluid flush? How many km? Volvo says it is a life time fluid but I have seen more then a few fluid flushes cure a bunch of clunks. Including my own 2006 xc90 5cylinder. It had a crappy shift quality concern and a flush has had me going 80k km without issue now.

If you want me to recommend someone to you in Calgary, I can. His name is Trevor. He works at valentine. He and I were the only Canadians to win volvos vista competition this year ( 14500 techs competed for a trip to Sweden, 188 made it through in the entire world, so yes, he is good. He has actually made it through 3 times. Hahahha. He is good). I can send him a message and give him a heads up if you want. That's my contact in Calgary now a days.

Anyways, another thought, is it more of a Ping type clunk? If so you can have the front axles glued. It is the slack in te axle splines that knocks/pings when shifting to park and reverse/drive.

I have had more then a few rebuild transmissions that come in with the cases leaking, make sure if they rebuild the transmission, you get a really good warranty out of it.

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:20 am 
Bone stock

Jordan, I am so sorry I didn't see your reply to me as I haven't checked in for a few months. Thankyou for taking the time to write. In the end I got my transmission fuel "serviced" they refused to flush it as they said if they couldn't find the problem the didn't want to flush it in case something got in the line that was then passed on to the next guy. they reset something which immediately stopped the clunking but they said it would trip again and that I shouldn't drive it very far. I headed out the next day on my 1000k journey as Mike at Northmount told me to get my car out of there and that he thought it would be fine. Its been 3 months and no more clunking. I didn't ever really get an answer to what happened but all seems to be good. I have since taken our other car to Mike and he did some repairs on it for a reasonable price. I think he is a good guy and I will continue to use him. Thank you for your contact at Valentine, Its great to have another name. Just my past experience there makes me want to use an alternative location where possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:48 am 
I like cake

The transmissions in the XC70 and 90 are what are termed "Adaptive Transmissions" made by Aisin motors. What this means is that they have a computer which learns the drivers driving habits ( hard on the gas, easy on the throttle, etc). When a new person drives the car or if the car has lost its memory then it is like a toddler learning to walk again and hence the transmission shifts hard and clunky. Any reputable shop should have the engine programmer which resets the computer to factory default settings. Drive the car reasonably for a couple hundred Km's and the car should shift without clunking. Also have the transmission flushed every two years at the most.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]