Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Heater core woes.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I am really cheezed to say the least.
I will be on my 3rd core after I change the most recent one. coming back from Sask two weeks ago,was parked on the side of the road running doing a little tune tweak,as I take off...quickly I might add...Damn I get that smell.
Sh!t !! I have the stupid control valve off too, anyhow gauge is not rising so I keep going.
Parked at home,dont see any leaks so I figure maybe it burped through the cap. No such luck.... day later I have the dreaded green spots, under the pass rocker.
I know to well what this means.

Anyhow... what is the lifespan of a heater core ? the last two have been Four Seasons brand,which I thought were half decent..this is all in the space of about 80,000k and 8 yrs :evil:
The original lasted 215,000km and 25yrs (guessing it was the original,sure looked like it ) Seems the only brand I can get are the 4 seasons ? If I can even find one locally (the last one I bought a few years ago the guy said was the last one locally) I am really hesitant now. I am sure FCP and IPD sell this brand,so that is not a help.

I wonder if I can have it recored ? would that be better ? anyone done this ?

Post subject: Re: Heater core woes.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:48 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I don't know about your question, Alex, but I kept popping them at higher revs. My V8 car killed one the quickest. I wouldn't build another 240 without putting a bypass in there, to bleed off some pressure. Apparently the cop cars (crown vic and mustang) used a restrictor on the heater core inlet for the same purpose. Take all that for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:53 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I had the heat off as it was warm out, so not sure why it would pressure up.
On the other hand I havent investigated what the problem is yet, maybe a hose ? it is coming from inside the car...
I have clamped the hoses on the engine side for now.

On the plus side... having done this 3 times, I can have it in and out in under 2hrs :D .....just sucks to have to do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:32 pm 

Any chance you have a weak head gasket or crack in the head that could be pressurizing the system and or getting corrosive exhaust in the coolant? I only discovered this after I replaced my water pump, then the rad went, then the heater core...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:56 pm 

Ugh...just came out from work and there is a puddle under my car...under the driver's side frame rail at the firewall. I can't imagine what that might be...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:11 pm 

Heater hose at the firewall :fingerscrossed:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:27 am 

swedishmeatball wrote:
Heater hose at the firewall :fingerscrossed:

Nope...firewall is dry. Bypassed and flushed the heater core for now...it's not like I'm going to need it for the next couple of months. When I need it, I'll park the car for the winter and use one with a heater core that doesn't leak...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:39 pm 

Didn't you just do the core on that car three or four years ago when I did mine???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:46 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Pylon wrote:
Ugh...just came out from work and there is a puddle under my car...under the driver's side frame rail at the firewall. I can't imagine what that might be...

Another 4 seasons core ??

Any chance you have a weak head gasket or crack in the head that could be pressurizing the system and or getting corrosive exhaust in the coolant? I only discovered this after I replaced my water pump, then the rad went, then the heater core...[/quote]

there is sposed to be a quote in here about head gasket issues from swedishmeatball...somehow I messed it up

Hmm, don't think so. the engine has been in and out of this thing so many times in the last few years,the anti freeze has been replaced every time.
So far though this one has been in for 2-3 years. I still havent looked at it...might be just one of the hoses.
I put a new control valve in about 2yrs ago, and when it is off it is off (ball valve )
So not sure why it would pressure up the core. I am leaning towards a hose maybe...since that may have pressured up and given out. as Dale said, dont need it right now so clamped off the hoses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:52 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I am on my second rad here... first one let go as well. Maybe I should check out said HG's ?
Would a leakdown test show this up ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 pm 

Sorry...been away all weekend with a laptop that the keyboard died on...

The problem is not the heater core, it's the inlet line from the brake reservoir to the clutch master. It's leaking right at the clutch master. Makes a mess but isn't terminal. I need to find a proper hose and seal. Anyone got one from a 740? Coulda swore it looked like coolant to begin with but then the puddle on the ground at work wasn't dried up the next morning... #-o

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:44 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

I know a mechanic who must be just coming up on 65, says on two theft recovery inspections he's done, the heater cores were popped. Fast build of revs, especially when cold.

There is a guy who works for Honeywell-Garrett, who is on Tbricks about one a year- twin turbo red first gen mustang...can't recall his name. Matt and Dale know who I mean..Bill something? He did instrumented testing that said over 100psi instantaneous pressure to the core on cold revs. Not saying that's the problem but, it helps to know some worst case numbers

Fortunately, I can't say I ran into problems. But I think I'd much rather have an OE used core from the junkyard that I inspected, before I would ever use the jobber stuff (offshore by definition now)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:14 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Still...
the valve was off, as in ball valve off. so the core should have had no pressure at all ?
Call it lazy but I haven't bothered with investigating it yet. Just clamped both hoses in the engine compartment
right now. Winter project :)
On the subject of pressure, I do believe it plays a part.I am on my second rad as the first one (made in USA mind)
started to leak where the cores meet the tank.I replaced it with the exact same one (generic Northern aluminum one made in China now) So interesting comparison to be made between quality here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:47 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

So....since I am on a fix it rampage right now...and have gone through a few niggly things needing done...time for the core to be looked at. I sent the old one out and had it recorded and beefed up. Surprisingly wasn't that expensive compared to the last new one I bought ( should have done this the last time) they added more strength to the bottom and top tanks, as this is where I have had the problems. Going to see how this works as it will hopefully solve the problem. On a side note...clamping the heater hoses plays havoc with my ect sensor as it is in the heater line, and causes the injection to read engine as cool. So that isn't a great fix.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]