Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Restoration sticker shock
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:49 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Just before it snowed I had the 242 looked at by a few body shops in Edmonton, with the intent to have all the rot cleaned up and to give the car a re-spray. I've found that most body shops don't want to deal with it, and resto shops won't touch it for less than $10k.

I've resigned myself to the fact that getting this done is going to cost a lot of money.. but does anyone have any experience with getting this type of work done ? Is it reasonable to assume that this is what a quality restoration is going to cost ? I'm a deadman if the S.O. finds out how much I'm planning on dropping into this car

Post subject: Re: Restoration sticker shock
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:14 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'll let others who know more than me answer this in more detail, but in short: yes, that is what its going to cost. Or more. Depending on the amount of rot you have, I would anticipate a price higher than that for a proper job.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

^ I can believe it.. the shops that looked at it indicated that $10k was the absolute minimum. So conceivably I could be looking at $12k +

The body is in decent shape but some re-constructive surgery is required at the rear of the rockers and around the rear wheel wells.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:56 pm 

GLT_North wrote:
Is it reasonable to assume that this is what a quality restoration is going to cost ?

Nope...a "quality" restoration will cost you $100k. $10k won't even touch paint, let alone any sort of body repair. I would actually be concerned with what kind of work you'll get done for $10k complete. I've seen what $35k gets on an 1800 and it isn't what I'd call good.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

I'd think that's a little extreme. This is not a show car.. I've done some body work (prep & prime) for a friend at his shop in BC.. If it weren't for the patching required I'd be tempted to gear up and do the work myself.

I'm thinking $12-14k is going to get this car where it needs to be.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:30 pm 

Sorry, but shops these days are mostly collision panel replacers and not all that good at getting this sort of work done to a high standard. Your best bet is to attend to the metal work yourself and make sure you take your time and do it right. Then if you're able, prime and block it yourself. Then it could be shot at one of these shops and it would turn out fine and keep the budget below the "stupid" threshold. So few are interested these days as it just doesn't pay...and the guess of $100K would be for a real crazy concours job, but I've seen LOTS of crazy dollars being spent. I know a guy who spent over $20K just to paint a VENTURA...yes, a VENTURA :roll: the paint is worth twice what his car is worth...wait, I think my 242 resembles that remark.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:36 am 

Just to refresh - body shops think that around $100/hour is OK for bodywork. The guys doing the work don't make that kind of money, but that's what you get. Recall that Greg posted about the guy that will come to your house and work on your Volvo for $60/hr. Anyway - prepping a body for paint with minor rust surgery would break down like this:

- Cutting out and welding in new sheetmetal: 20 - 30 hours
- Finishing and filling that work: 20 - 30 hours
- Preping body for paint (assuming it's not getting stripped, but removing all emblems, trim, bumpers, lights, cleaning car, fixing dings and getting it ready for sanding): 8 - 20 hours
- High-build primer and block sanding (not optional if you want it to look good): 24 hours
- Paint door jams to match (really should be done): 8 hours
- Paint car: 12 hours
- Reassemble car: 8 hours.

-Grand total - around 110 hours. So that's $11K in labour alone. Reasonable estimates of paint and supplies would (depending on colour) kick that up another $5K.

I didn't pull these numbers out of my butt, this is around what it took me to do my 242 and I also painted the underhood to match.

Even having a shop do the outside of the car would be $3 - 5K. You can do the rest in your garage and make sure it's done right. There really isn't many options and I've seen many $15K paint jobs that don't look all that great and I've rolled some pretty reasonable paint out of my garage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 pm 
Cams + Headers

Sheeeiiit...That was a bit of a downer. I was really hoping a professional could do it faster And better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:26 am 

ian strom wrote:
Sheeeiiit...That was a bit of a downer. I was really hoping a professional could do it faster And better.

Oh, I don't know...give you a good excuse to buy the larger compressor you always wanted.

As for better. Here's what's possible.
Before:

After:

Other work:

I expect to polish every job that I put out of my garage, but the quality of the work is as good as you'll get from a commercial/professional painter. The prep is where all the work is.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]