Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Volvo 240 Wagon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am 
I like cake

Hi All,

Been in search of a Volvo Wagon but trying to find something that is more on the rust free end. Anyone have experience getting something from the US? Seems a bit hard to find clean volvos with all our snow and salt.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Volvo 240 Wagon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:19 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I've brought an 850 in from the US back in ... 02? ... and a 780 from a friend in '08. It was a while ago, for sure, but I don't think the procedure is too different.

First, find your car. It MUST have an original title, in the name of the seller. Without this, YOU are screwed. Don't send any money until you can confirm that you have this. Do whatever due diligence you feel comfortable with: Have a local you trust take a look at it, have it brought to a shop, fly down and look at it yourself, whatever. ASK QUESTIONS - don't be Canadian and expect them to tell you everything you need to know. I've heard "yeah, I have the original title" but then when we got there the story changed to "I've been trying to get it from (whatever authority) and they said they'll get back to me, so I don't ACTUALLY have it today. I'll mail it to you, I promise". That won't fly.

If you decide to buy the car, you must jump through some hoops:

RIV: If the car is less than 15 years old it must be eligible for import. www.riv.ca will give you all that information, and/or any modifications or certificates you'll need to secure before you can import it. Once it crosses the border and you perform the mods (if any) you then take the car to Canadian Tire and they make sure things like daytime running lights have been enabled, that you have a child seat anchor, that the speedo displays in KPH, etc. If the car is more than 15 years old you don't have to worry about any of this.

I suggest NOT driving the car back, unless you feel like a potential Roadkill road trip and feel like changing a fuel pump in the high Montana rockies. There are services that will bring your car to you, I'm sure they're more expensive than renting a pickup and trailer and driving down to haul it home. Get a full car trailer, not a dolly, and a real truck for this.

Before accepting the vehicle, have a VERY good look over it. Be sure it's clean inside and out. Crossing the border is not the right time to find out that the previous owner forgot to retrieve his assault rifle or drug paraphernalia, or that the trunk is filled with jugs of used oil. You may even want to take it to a car wash long before hitting the border to give the interior a good vacuum and a once-over.

At least 72 hours before you hit the border you must have a number of documents sent to the border crossing you plan to come across at. Not all border crossings will allow you to cross with a vehicle you're importing, so check first. From my memory you need to have a colour copy of BOTH SIDES of the original title, a copy of your insurance for the car (I imagine only if you're driving it across), and a copy of the bill of sale. When you arrive at the border you need the original copies of all these documents. Check with the border crossing - they may require more. If the car comes with a bunch of spare parts it might be a good idea to have these included on the bill of sale.

At the border crossing you'll need to pay the GST and duty of the car, plus the air conditioning tariff if the car comes with A/C (it probably will, being a US car) whether it works or not, and I believe you pay the RIV fee there as well. Both times I've come across they've made me sweat for a little while. I'm also paranoid and assume that border control has eyes on at least the last mile or so of road before the crossing.

Once you get it to Canada, you must first get the Out-Of-Country inspection done at Crappy Tire, then you need to schedule an Out-Of-Province inspection with an appropriate shop. Then the car's yours to do with as you will. I've been told to keep a copy of all the paperwork in the car if you cross the border in case anyone ever asks you questions: I'm paranoid, but that sounds a little paranoid even to me... though we still kept a copy of all the paperwork in the cars just in case.

Or you can PM solyeahman on here - he's got a 745 for sale in Saskatoon. I'm not sure how clean it is or any further details on it, but I think it's a non-turbo boring grampamobile project type thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm 
I like cake

Thanks for all the information!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm 

I do this regularly. More border stuff and recommendations...

Use a broker. Yes, it will cost you a couple hundred dollars but the aggravation it eliminates is well worth it. Your broker will get you something called an ITN number. This is required at US Customs when you export the car. No ITN number and the car doesn't leave the US. Using a broker also means all the import paperwork is done and the taxes/duties are looked after as well.

Matt has mislead you in a couple of areas. You MUST have the original title, not a copy, and you need the bill of sale. No title and the car does not leave the US. They're not quite so fussy on the bill of sale but you should have it regardless. As Matt said, the title and bill of sale should be in the same person's name. Some crossings are much more particular about this than others. We've imported more than one car where the title was in a previous owner's name and the bill of sale was issued by the current owner. Collectors don't always title their cars simply to avoid taxes when they sell them again. I highly doubt you'll have this problem with a Volvo wagon unless some shady curber is flipping cars.

Use a broker to ensure all the paperwork is done properly and the 72 hours notice has been placed. No 72 hours and no leaving the US with your car. They are NOT flexible on this. If you decide to have a transport company bring the car to you, make absolutely sure the seller gives the original title and bill of sale to the truck driver.

Have I said USE A BROKER?

Melanie Friesen
Autocross Vehicle Advisors
Cell: 604-644-7372
Office: 604-538-6033
Fax: 604-538-6035
Email: melanie@autocrossva.ca

Tell her Dale from Calgary sent you...

There are all sorts of transport companies and we exclusively use a guy with an enclosed trailer. Not sure you'll need that so if you're not getting it yourself I'd recommend you contact Car Couriers out of Cremona. I was quite surprised at their rates when we had them bring a car up from St Louis.

https://www.carcouriers.com/

I'll add something else that Matt may not have been clear on. If the car is more than 15 years old (based on month of manufacture) you don't need an out of country inspection and don't need to deal with Canadian Tire. You need an out of province inspection which can be done at any number of certified shops. Also...I've never been asked for proof of insurance on any vehicle I've imported but then again, I wasn't driving any of them either. I'm not sure Canada Border Services cares...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 am 

Ugly Duck wrote:
At least 72 hours before you hit the border you must have a number of documents sent to the border crossing you plan to come across at. Not all border crossings will allow you to cross with a vehicle you're importing, so check first. From my memory you need to have a colour copy of BOTH SIDES of the original title, a copy of your insurance for the car (I imagine only if you're driving it across), and a copy of the bill of sale. When you arrive at the border you need the original copies of all these documents. Check with the border crossing - they may require more. If the car comes with a bunch of spare parts it might be a good idea to have these included on the bill of sale.

Where else did I go wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:55 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Ugly Duck wrote:

Where else did I go wrong?

Sorry...saw the line about color copies and thought you were referring to what they need at the border. My bad. If you use a broker you'll forward scans of these documents to the broker...they will walk you through the process.

Just noticed something else. If there are spare parts with the car, absolutely have it noted on the bill of sale that they are included with the sale. If you don't, you'll be itemizing everything and will be charged GST on whatever value they decide to put on the parts, if they allow you to bring them in at all.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 am 

Yeah, when I went to look for the line I knew I'd typed I had to look a couple times for it, so I see how it could be missed.

Out of curiosity, Dale - what does a broker charge you for this service? My opinion of them is pretty much coloured by not only the outrageous UPS charges we all deal with, but of my time driving professionally across the border. You were there for the importation of the 780 so you'll remember it was relatively painless, minus the wait, but I imagine a broker is cheap peace of mind when you're dealing with a $50K+ classic car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:17 pm 

With the introduction of the ITN number to export a car a broker is pretty much essential now. I don't think you can get one without a broker, to be honest. Melanie charges $200 for the brokerage and obtaining the ITN number.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am 
First volvo in outer space

If you want a cherry 245 this IS the one...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992- ... 0-wagon-6/

Won’t be cheap but I can’t remember one that checks off all of my boxes like this one. Stick, slicktop, great colour combo, cruise, low miles, tasteful mods, converted A/C, zero rust etc.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 pm 

Pylon wrote:
With the introduction of the ITN number to export a car a broker is pretty much essential now. I don't think you can get one without a broker, to be honest. Melanie charges $200 for the brokerage and obtaining the ITN number.

Yeah, okay that's quite reasonable. I assume that even with the broker nothing changes at the border, as in you still need to get the document copies there 72 hours before crossing, have the document originals with you at the time of crossing, etc?

I did a quick search and it seems like you CAN get one without a broker, but you have to apply for a license and pass a test. If you're doing it once it's probably better to drop the 2 hundy and forget about it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]