Change font size
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Does this filter look right?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:54 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'm just in the process of putting on a new fuel filter. Its a bigger one (I ordered one for a turbo car) and the back end threads seem to float a bit in the back of the filter...if you put your finger into the filter, the metal bit attached to the threads moves around when you push on it. Is that right? Its different than the older smaller filter, as the threads on it are part of the main body of the filter.

2nd question....are the threads the same between old and new? Anyone know off hand? I'm guessing they should be, and they look about the same, but they seem looser when I thread it in. I'm on crack.

And 3rd....look at this.
http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/gallery ... r.jpg.html
Hard to see, but inside the filter, the lining within appears to be pulled up and cracked....you can see a triangle bit poking up which seems weird. Its a hard plastic, that lines the inside of the filter. Is this normal?

Sorry for the stupid questions.
Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:23 pm 

Sorry, I can't help you out. I do know the threads are a bit loose normally, but I'm not sure about this loose metal bit, and I can't make out the triangle piece in the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:32 pm 

Hmmmm...its hard to see. Its just inside the filter hole, just sticking up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:09 pm 

Maybe this will help....this all sounds so vague. Its just that triangular bit sticking up.
http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/gallery ... 1.jpg.html
Basically, it looks like the inner lining of the filter has been pryed up. It now sits nearly in the path of the hole, kind of broken. It feels like a plastic of some kind. Looking further down where its pryed up, I can see the paper element in the bottom of the filter.
I'm just wondering if this is normal, if my filter is faulty, or even if this is a problem at all, and should just use it the way it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 pm 

volvoshredder wrote:
Maybe this will help....this all sounds so vague. Its just that triangular bit sticking up.
http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/gallery ... 1.jpg.html
Basically, it looks like the inner lining of the filter has been pryed up. It now sits nearly in the path of the hole, kind of broken. It feels like a plastic of some kind. Looking further down where its pryed up, I can see the paper element in the bottom of the filter.
I'm just wondering if this is normal, if my filter is faulty, or even if this is a problem at all, and should just use it the way it is.

If you're worried about it, take it back. It doesn't happen to be a Fram, does it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:46 pm 

Nope, Bosch...got it from FCP a while back, so harder to return.

Post subject: Re: Does this filter look right?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:22 am 

volvoshredder wrote:
I'm just in the process of putting on a new fuel filter. Its a bigger one (I ordered one for a turbo car) and the back end threads seem to float a bit in the back of the filter...if you put your finger into the filter, the metal bit attached to the threads moves around when you push on it. Is that right? Its different than the older smaller filter, as the threads on it are part of the main body of the filter.

All this sounds suspect to me.

Quote:
2nd question....are the threads the same between old and new? Anyone know off hand? I'm guessing they should be, and they look about the same, but they seem looser when I thread it in. I'm on crack.

If they are not the right size...don't start the Yellow Rocketship (you need a name for this thing) up, as the pressure will send fuel everywhere. I'm thinking you need something from the aftermarket in anodized blue or pretty chrome.

Quote:
And 3rd....look at this.
http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/gallery ... r.jpg.html
Hard to see, but inside the filter, the lining within appears to be pulled up and cracked....you can see a triangle bit poking up which seems weird. Its a hard plastic, that lines the inside of the filter. Is this normal?

Definately not right...why would you engineer something with a part that hangs down? I'm free of teaching all week and if I'm not watching pretty girls curl (tournament of Hearts), then can be available for a spell in the heated garage.

I'm assuming the filter change is motivated by the pinging/potential lean condition/fuel starving issue or just general maint?

Quote:
Sorry for the stupid questions.
Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Admin

^^^

Best post, evarr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:26 am 

There, I added quote tags, JUST FOR RAZ.

Never say I don't do nothin' fer ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:57 pm 

Hee hee,
Thanks Craig. Yeah, its mostly maintenance, although the thought had crossed my mind that maybe the smaller F filter wasn't flowing enough fuel. I had no real basis for that thought. I'm guessing the larger filter was introduced primarily to deal with the greater fuel demands of the turbo?

I ended up putting it on temporarily. It still pings. The thread sizes were the same, and no, fuel didn't go shooting everywhere! They felt a little loose, (I was hoping someone who knew the different filters could positively verify that for me), but the threads locked in just fine. That would have been entertaining though. I'm going to get another new filter to replace this one ASAP....

I like the name Yellow Rocketship! Good call. The name "The Sauce" has been used to describe this car, short for "Tartar Sauce," as my car was yellow with brown fake wood paneling. Tartar sauce is apparently yellow and brown. Makes no sense I know.

I'll give you a dial maybe tomorrow Craig. Thanks for the offer.

I'm going to chrome everything.

Post subject: Quotes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:01 pm 

volvoshredder wrote:
Hee hee,

Quote - end Quote...Geeze, I forgot to put the HTML tags in, then they appeared...I don't know if Raz is taking the Mick or not, don't care either.
volvoshredder wrote:
Thanks Craig. Yeah, its mostly maintenance, although the thought had crossed my mind that maybe the smaller F filter wasn't flowing enough fuel. I had no real basis for that thought. I'm guessing the larger filter was introduced primarily to deal with the greater fuel demands of the turbo?

I ended up putting it on temporarily. It still pings. The thread sizes were the same, and no, fuel didn't go shooting everywhere! They felt a little loose, (I was hoping someone who knew the different filters could positively verify that for me), but the threads locked in just fine. That would have been entertaining though. I'm going to get another new filter to replace this one ASAP....

Sounds good...retard the ignition a couple of degrees and see what happens.
volvoshredder wrote:
I like the name Yellow Rocketship! Good call. The name "The Sauce" has been used to describe this car, short for "Tartar Sauce," as my car was yellow with brown fake wood paneling. Tartar sauce is apparently yellow and brown. Makes no sense I know.

I'll give you a dial maybe tomorrow Craig. Thanks for the offer.

I'm going to chrome everything.

Excellent - the more bling the better.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]