Change font size
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:20 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

[/quote]

good to hear Greg...and not leaking any oil? what kind of magical spell did you use to obatin that outcome?? :wink:

ciao[/quote]

Hee hee!! I seriously have no idea what I did to prevent leaks...beginners luck? I changed a lot of seals and gaskets, which likely helped. But I'm still probably speaking too soon....
Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:46 pm 

Drove the car again on Saturday night....man that thing is fun....up until I hit second gear!

Sorted out what appeared to be an electrical short somewhere near the headlight relay. I kept hearing a "pop" when I turned the key, and at one point there was a tiny wee bit of smoke. After taking apart the harness, and retaping it again, the problem was gone. Who knows what that was....really really weird. As well, I got my idle control system to work now! I'm pretty stoked for that.
After one hard boost run in first, I heard a vacuum leak in the cab, and discovered I popped out a vacuum plug under the manifold. I'll be clamping stuff for a while now I'm sure!

I'm still looking for a clutch for my car, and a member of this board has one he's selling! Trouble is, I can't find the correct part #'s I need to figure out if this clutch will work for me. It has the correct spline count, but, I don't know if its for an early turbo or N/A 240. Anyone have any part numbers for a Sachs 215mm turbo clutch disc?

As well, anyone know if a non-turbo clutch disc will hold the power I'm making?.......

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 pm 

Well, I'm back on the road after a smallish delay...

Yep, the wagon is rolling. The main problem I had was a slipping clutch/transmission/overdrive, as was discussed here:
http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/forum/v ... sc&start=0

Once the tranny came out, I put a new clutch in, but it appeared it wasn't holding, or the OD was letting go. After some pondering, I pulled a working OD off an old tranny, pulled the tranny off the car, changed a few bits, cleaned it off, made some gaskets, and put it all back together with the different OD. Right away, the possible non-working one slipped off its shaft very easily, compared to the known good one, which took Craig and I some time with a block and a sledgehammer to get off. It was tight. Sooo...things were looking like the OD was bad.

In the meantime, Craig fabricated a T for my coolant temp sensor in the idle control circuit, using some pipe and a metric nut. Looked sweet. Good welding skilz.

So I managed to get the T in yesterday, and finished everything on the transmission. Put the battery in and....

Yep, started right up, idled good, and the best news of all is that the overdrive was the issue. All the way through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, I can pull full boost without any slippage! The OD engages much nicer as well. I'm pretty happy!

I took Craig for a drive real quick, and we agreed that if I'm able to get this thing up to 10psi, it'll be pretty quick. Its still pinging, but I haven't checked the injectors yet like Matt suggested. All in all, I'm pretty stoked. Thanks to Craig for his help with all this, and all of you for your advice.

Next up is a few quick trips on the highway to ensure it will be reliable, and then I'll hopefully get it up to Calgary! Sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:27 am 

Yay!

I am surprised that it was the OD, being that it wouldn't slip in 1st gear, but I've been wrong before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:05 pm 
I can fix the world

Ugly Duck wrote:
Yay!

I am surprised that it was the OD, being that it wouldn't slip in 1st gear, but I've been wrong before.

woah....I think its getting colder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:19 pm 

Actually, it did slip in 1st a couple times near the end before I pulled the tranny. I was pulling away from a set of lights, and just let out the clutch, no gas, and it didn't grab at all. Just a bunch of shuddering from the rear end. Next set, same thing. But immediately after that I did a hard clutch drop into full boost, and it was fine all the way through 1st. Kinda intermittent, but those 2 times 1st did slip. So perhaps you're not wrong Matt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 am 

dude next time i am in leth for more than a day i want to come see it!

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:17 am 

Absolutely! Any time man, a ride can be arranged.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4